Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Black Diamond Storm Headlamp - Problems

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Black Diamond Storm Headlamp - Problems

Postby justiner » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:06 pm

I have a trusty Black Diamond Storm Headlamp that I've neglected, as I thought I left it at the trailhead, on a recent trip. It actually made it home, but spent a few days underneath the eve of a roof, getting all the snow melt coming off the roof.

Putting some fresh batteries in, the only thing it does is glow a faint pink/violet light on the side - usually this is where the blue, "I'm locked!" comes out, or the battery level indicated green/orange/red light shows.

I'm guessing that this violet/pink light means, "there's a short, somewhere!", but the lit. on the light doesn't reveal anything useful for diagnostics. I've screwed off the electronics from the body, and am letting everything air out (nothing seemed wet), to see if that works. There's no corrosion (that I can see) either.

Any guesses on what may be wrong, and how to get it... right? I'm just going to let it air out for a few days, and perhaps let my mech. engineer friend, who works for Texas Instruments take a gander. More likely, the light is hosed,
The Long Ranger | STRAVA

"Any effort that has self-glorification as its final endpoint is bound to end in disaster" - Pirsig

Re: Black Diamond Storm Headlamp - Problems

Postby dehrlich101 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:28 pm

I've never had that problem with my headlamp and it has been in the rain and cold quite a bit, the storm is supposedly 100% waterproof so I'm guessing there is a short or something. Black diamond has an excellent customer service 1-800-775-5552. I am sure they will hook you up with a replacement lamp if they can't help you over the phone.
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ

Postby TallGrass » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:33 pm

Might also check if your local BD dealer/carrier will swap it out and save you the shipping, especially if you bought it in town.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby BenfromtheEast » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:14 pm

Put it in a bowl of rice while it's drying. That's the trick for cell phones. You just might have to close it up so the grains don't get stuck in stuff.