Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Aconcagua & Jetboil Zip: Yes or No?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Aconcagua & Jetboil Zip: Yes or No?

Postby MuchosPixels » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:27 pm

Honestly, its best if you bring a stove that you can use inside the tent.

It can get pretty brutal up there and any stove will have huge problems boiling water in cold and windy conditions outside even when surrounded by rocks and foil.

I have used my pocket rocket in below freezing weather above 10k feet several times and if there is even the slightest breeze boiling times increase quite a bit even when I shield the stove the best I can. Inside a tent or vestibule performance is MUCH better.

Also, there are some kits that allow the canister to be separated from the burner by a hose and inverted (liquid fuel mode) when pressure gets low.

Postby herdbull » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:29 pm

So I guess now the decision is would you go with a similar stove as a back up or a smaller (think pocket rocket), canister stove or a jetboil? I can probably pick up any one of the 3 for $40-$60. Pretty minimal damage considering the overall trip cost.

Part of me says just stick with a second gas stove and a back up pump but the other half says a nice self contained Jetboil would be nice. I can get a brand new Zip for $60 until Weds. this week.

Postby TomPierce » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:42 pm

I'm coming in late to the debate, but I guess I don't see the appeal of the canister stoves for this trip. I have one for 3 season use and absolutely love it, but various posters have already written of potential problems with them in the cold/altitude, so why bother carrying the weight, hassling with canister availability, carrying empty canisters out, etc when you might be plagued with problems? Why even consider taking potentially problematic gear? Why not go with a sure thing, a white gas stove, esp when white gas is apparently easily obtained in Mendoza? Although a few reported no problems with canisters, this discussion seems like a lot of angst over a tool that is already suspect. If there's one thing that will make me go psycho during a high stress trip, it's failed gear. Just me.

FWIW, I love my MSR XGK for cold weather. High output, reliable, multi fuel, easy to field repair, and the newer version is very stable. But there are lighter stoves out there, and as one poster noted I'd be very careful with priming/start up inside a tent. But that just takes a little practice, e.g. don't flood the fuel bowl, etc. Just my opinions.

That aside, have a great and safe trip.

-Tom

Postby MountainHiker » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:12 pm

Here’s some photos from my Aconcagua trip in Dec 06, Jan 07 showing the tent situation along with me making some water at Nido. I used some sturdy pegs but mostly staked to rocks.

Tent site at Plaza de Mules
http://www.14ers.com/images/userpics/2013/u4722p90_130401202338_l.jpg

Looking down at Mules
http://www.14ers.com/images/userpics/2013/u4722p90_130401202856.jpg

Nido de Condores tent site showing beginning of route to Berlin
http://www.14ers.com/images/userpics/2013/u4722p90_130401204321.jpg

Making water at Nido. These photos also give a sense of how spread out Nido is.
http://www.14ers.com/images/userpics/2013/u4722p90_130401204611.jpg

Berlin campsite from above. We went for the summit from Nido. The extra 1000’ to Berlin is a trade off. Shorter summit day, but higher trying to sleep and haul gear.
http://www.14ers.com/images/userpics/2013/u4722p90_130401203653.jpg

The mountain was dry for us. I’ve read other trip reports where people had more snow to deal with.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby herdbull » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:23 pm

Thanks a bunch for the pics. Those help a lot with visualizing the terrain and "camping"areas.

I had up my mind last night to just stick with another gas stove and find a used one. Actually I had been watching a Whisperlite for sale on Mountain Project and it came with the pump too. Checked today on my lunch break... still for sale. Checked right before I left for home, SOLD ](*,) #-o ](*,) #-o .

So I'll keep looking for a back up to the Simmerlite and just rule out canister stoves. The consequences of something bad happening with those far outweigh the good points.

Postby ules2025 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:43 pm

I just climbed there in January. I had a Whisperlite International and my climbing partner had a regular Whisperlite. We didn't have any issues with these stoves. They worked really well, despite temperatures dropping to below zero at the high camp (Camp Berlin). Good luck!

Postby Tim A » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:50 am

Slightly different question on Jetboils. I'm looking to purchase one in the next week or so and after reviewing the three different models and their titanium counterparts, I'm less set on purchasing the flash than I was a few months ago. Am I to understand correctly that the only differences are...

-Sol and Sumo have the ability to simmer and cook at colder temperatures
-Sumo is just a bigger cup than sol
-Titanium decreases overall weight of the package for both the above two products

Are there any jetboil "connoisseurs" on this site who've played with multiple models and could recommend one over the other? I'm looking for one to support multi-night backpacking trips this spring and summer in Colorado and Wyoming, but if its only $20 extra to get the ability to simmer and go winter camping later in the year with the Sol, that seems like a fair deal. I'm also planning on going with a partner which makes the Sumo seem like a good idea, but I do confess my guilt as a gram-counter (just redeemed my REI coupon for the BA Fly Creek UL2) so not sure if that extra cooking capacity is worth the weight to haul, even with the Titanium model.

Any thoughts on these different jetboil products?

Postby yedi » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:53 pm

I've had (mostly) good luck with my Sol Titanium. I don't use it to simmer (it's either on rocket power or off), so I can't speak to its ability there, but for boiling water quickly, it's the best stove I've ever had. It will boil water scary fast. Like turn around to do something for a minute and your pot is bubbling over fast. I've never had it in deep, deep cold, so I haven't really tested it there, but I understand that the thermoregulator does help the stove work in environments where the gas has low pressure (I've used it into the 20s with no issues).

Two problems I have with it: 1) I find the piezo lighter to be unreliable. I've never trusted piezos, though, and kind of expected it to have some issues when I bought the stove, so I always bring a back-up and it's not a huge deal for me. 2) I don't like the neoprene insulation around the pot. The insulation around the Flash is heavier and the handle is burlier. The Sol's insulation is thin and the handle sags badly when you pick up the pot by the handle. It's so unstable that when the pot has any liquid in it, I don't use the handle at all. Also -- and you've probably already discovered this -- but part of the way Jetboil made up the weight difference between the Sol and Flash is by cutting down the size of the pot (.8L vs. 1.0L). Not a huge deal for me, but if you're boiling water for multiple people, it's something to consider.

If you're looking for something that's lightweight, simple to use, and will boil water in a heartbeat, it's a great stove to have. If I had it to do over, I'd buy it again.

ETA: Here's a review backpackinglight.com did on the Sol Ti. They highly recommended it.

Previous