Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mountain Lion Question - What would you do?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Mountain Lion Question - What would you do?

Postby cheeseburglar » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:17 pm

Fun thread and information on mountain lions is good.
Don't worry about them.
If you are worried, take a dog with you. Not a chihuahua, that is not a dog.
And lions are another reason to not leash your dog.
If a lion goes crazy and attacks your dog, at least it isn't attacking you. But that hasn't ever happened to me, and me and the dogs have covered some miles in areas where the lions live.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

Postby Tory Wells » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:21 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:
Tory Wells wrote:Most cats are much smaller than an adult human.

Not really true, or perhaps more accurately, not really pertinent. Some large males can be in excess of 200 lbs. But even the 100-pounders: Think of your housecat, how it can jump to nearly anything in your house, and think of this thing at 10 times the size and weight, full of claws and teeth. It's an incredible predatory machine; a literal land-shark. (However, it is also intelligent, has feelings, and is more social than most humans believe.)

Tory Wells wrote:My hunter friend also said they are quick to back down from a fight.

This probably is true. The cat is not looking for a fight. It's looking for a clean kill. Even the big cats are "fraidy cats" in the appropriate situation. So I agree, if attacked, fight back.

You're right, their weight is not really relevant due to their strength and predatory skills. Any animal that can kill a full-grown elk or deer, with it's mouth, is a FORMIDABLE creature and one I don't want to tangle with. Still, I'll take my chances fighting back against a mountain lion; not so much against a grizzly bear or a large black bear. Will it still kill me? Ya, probably if it really wants to. But fight I will.

I do take some comfort in the fact that mountain lions in Colorado are pretty darn well fed and humans just don't taste good at all. :mrgreen:
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby Tory Wells » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:25 pm

Tempelton wrote:Last year I was running down the back side of Green on the Bear Canyon trail when I ran into a Ranger who told me that she just moved a dead deer off of the trail. The deer had just been killed by a mountain lion. She advised me to take another way down. Needless to say, I went back over the top of Green and took the amphitheater back down!

I just about tripped over this kill while running in Zion National Park a few years ago. It was more than a little eerie thinking it was probably out there, watching me. I did notify the rangers, I'm assuming they closed the trail for a while. Or moved it.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby jdorje » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:11 pm

Nice. Supposedly mountain lions "cache" their kills, covering them in branches or whatever might be handy to (I guess) hide them for a week or two while they feast. You can see that in that picture.

On the topic of carnivores that are freaky yet not really dangerous: wolves. The internet claims there's on average 1 wolf attack per year worldwide. You'd think hunting packs would present a significant danger, even if you hadn't seen The Grey. But apparently not?
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby TallGrass » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:16 pm

Tory Wells wrote:I just about tripped over this kill while running in Zion National Park a few years ago. It was more than a little eerie thinking it was probably out there, watching me. I did notify the rangers, I'm assuming they closed the trail for a while. Or moved it. Image
Wow. :wft: I don't know which is creepier, visualizing it strolling down the trail hopping over that furry stuff moments before, or the beaver ambushing that tree out of no where! Guess it'd have to be a badass to drag that log all the dam way back to the ...
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby Eph 2 5 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:07 pm

How about the situation where a solo hiker is hiking in the dark with a headlamp. In most cases would the hiker be relatively safe from mountain lion attacks because, depending on the terrain, the light would help announce your presence to the cat? On the flipside I guess night is their prime hunting time. I do take comfort in the rarity of attacks on humans

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:11 pm

Eph 2 5 wrote:How about the situation where a solo hiker is hiking in the dark with a headlamp.

Good question. Been there. More than once, swore there was something following in the night; watching, stalking...

Still, I would say, lament not: to go this way, fighting, proud, happy, doing what we do: is it not a most noble way to exit?

Consider your alternative: an ICU, tubes and hoses, cancer, an end to weeks or months of terminal illness.

Thank the angel of mercy who understands this, pat yourself on the back, go pour a big Modus or Dales while we're still alive, and don't spend a lot of precious time worrying about the big cat.

Your big cat will find you soon enough.

Postby TallGrass » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:16 pm

Eph 2 5 wrote:On the flipside I guess night is their prime hunting time.
If you read the thread and info links posted you wouldn't need to ask.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby Rarefied » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:08 am

Are there big cats around Manitou Springs? Oh, most definitely!

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/video-manitou-springs-man-comes-face-to-face-with-a-mountain-lion-after-3-big-cats-visit-his-home

Maybe one (or more :shock: ) of these left the tracks that IHikeLikeAGirl saw. 'Seems possible.

R

Postby PaliKona » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:02 am

Have there been any cases where mtn lions attack you in your tent, like a bear looking for food?

Also, is the population in the Front Range so dense that there really is 1 mtn. lion per 2 square miles? That's crazy!

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:32 am

According to this, there are probably 3-7 thousand mountain lions in the state, in 58,000 square miles of habitat, so it's closer to one per 10 square miles statewide.

That video is great. I assume that's a mother and two near-grown "kittens". It looks like the house is in Crystal Park (an isolated mountain area), not in the city proper.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby plantmandan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:03 am

When a mountain lion attacks a human, the lion is very likely to be emaciated and starving. Although rare in any case, an attack on humans will most likely occur close to the wild-urban interface where their habitat is more fragmented. In their natural environment they want nothing to do with us. You are safest in the most remote areas.

PreviousNext