Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mountain Lion Question - What would you do?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Mountain Lion Question - What would you do?

Postby MonGoose » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:08 pm

Like others have said, seeing a mountain lion is a very rare occurrence. I had the amazing experience of seeing one years ago while turkey hunting - they are incredible creatures. Personally, I think we have far more close encounters with mountain lions on the trail than we ever even realize. I don't worry about mountain lions because even if one does decide to attack, I'd be dead before I even saw it. They are ambush predators who stalk their prey (primarily deer and elk) and pounce quickly, snapping their neck. They also average one large kill every two weeks. I think a bigger concern for your experience would have been if you had kids hiking with you.

Postby Guitarzan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:25 pm

My sister has a place in Central Texas and there is a resident Moutian Lion and lives in the woods around her house. Over the past five years I have seen is about 3 times total while fishing and hiking on her land. The closes encounter being about 40 yards away, but all three times it left the area in a hurry and never seemed in any way interested in me. There have been numerous pet disappreances in the area however.
"Pain don't hurt."- Patrick Swayze ROAD HOUSE

Postby mtnfiend » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:59 pm

I'm surprised no one has suggested the southpark solution (in my best Australian accent) "put your thumb up it's butt hole!"
Didn't I ever tell you.....Bumble's bounce!!!

Postby MountainHiker » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:18 pm

Carry a laser pointer. Get him to chase the dot the other way!
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby IHikeLikeAGirl » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:57 pm

MountainHiker wrote:Carry a laser pointer. Get him to chase the dot the other way!

:lol:
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright

Postby peter303 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:58 pm

Scott P wrote:If correct, there have been 20 known fatal attacks from cougars in 121 years. 11 of them were in the US. Two of the 11 were in Colorado:

There have been three since they repopulated the Rocky Mountains after WWII. (1) Idaho Springs high school jogger. (2) A 9(?) year boy who got separated from his hiking group in RMNP and (3) a very young kid hiking with his parents in a forest. #2 sometimes is not counted because the proximate cause of death is choking on vomit during the attack (out of fear) rather than the attack trauma.

Postby peter303 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:01 pm

MountainHiker wrote:Carry a laser pointer. Get him to chase the dot the other way!

Most victims that live report not seeing the cat that attacked them. The cats hunt very stealthily.
That is why is amusing to hear governor Rick Perry claim he carries a pistol with him while jogging to protect himself.

Postby abqben56 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:27 pm

peter303 wrote:That is why is amusing to hear governor Rick Perry claim he carries a pistol with him while jogging to protect himself.

What's even funnier is that he once said it's for rattlesnakes. Glad I left all those years ago.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:46 pm

Works amazingly well for Britt's dogs. :-D

Mmm.... but I'd go with the 9 yo playing the trumpet for a big cat. :lol:

Postby Tory Wells » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:03 pm

MonGoose wrote:Like others have said, seeing a mountain lion is a very rare occurrence. I had the amazing experience of seeing one years ago while turkey hunting - they are incredible creatures. Personally, I think we have far more close encounters with mountain lions on the trail than we ever even realize. I don't worry about mountain lions because even if one does decide to attack, I'd be dead before I even saw it. They are ambush predators who stalk their prey (primarily deer and elk) and pounce quickly, snapping their neck. They also average one large kill every two weeks. I think a bigger concern for your experience would have been if you had kids hiking with you.

I've had the good fortune of seeing two in the wild and they are incredible creatures. I heard from one of my hunter friends that the stare of a treed mountain lion is an uber eerie feeling. He said it was the most unsettling feeling he's ever had.

I will disagree with a couple points here though: mountain lions suffocate rather than breaking the neck of their prey. Check out some videos on youtube to see this how they do it. The strength in these animals is incredible. And therefore I will disagree with you that you would be "dead before I even saw it." You have time to fight back and should fight back, as all the wisdom on these animals always says to do. Most cats are much smaller than an adult human and they don't want to get injured in a fight. My hunter friend also said they are quick to back down from a fight.

Here's an example of the suffocation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGfxD5hcInw
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:55 pm

Tory Wells wrote:Most cats are much smaller than an adult human.

Not really true, or perhaps more accurately, not really pertinent. Some large males can be in excess of 200 lbs. But even the 100-pounders: Think of your housecat, how it can jump to nearly anything in your house, and think of this thing at 10 times the size and weight, full of claws and teeth. It's an incredible predatory machine; a literal land-shark. (However, it is also intelligent, has feelings, and is more social than most humans believe.)

Tory Wells wrote:My hunter friend also said they are quick to back down from a fight.

This probably is true. The cat is not looking for a fight. It's looking for a clean kill. Even the big cats are "fraidy cats" in the appropriate situation. So I agree, if attacked, fight back.

Postby Tempelton » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:05 pm

Last year I was running down the back side of Green on the Bear Canyon trail when I ran into a Ranger who told me that she just moved a dead deer off of the trail. The deer had just been killed by a mountain lion. She advised me to take another way down. Needless to say, I went back over the top of Green and took the amphitheater back down!

PreviousNext