Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Women's Backpack

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Women's Backpack

Postby chrismjx » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:51 pm

My wife and I are shopping for a backpack for her, and just curious if any 14ers ladies would have any advice on pack selection for her? She has wide hips and short-ish torso. She tried on a Deuter ACT Lite at REI today and really thought it felt comfy. She's mainly concerned with comfort and durability, in that order. We're thinking she probably needs about a 60L pack, give or take a bit depending...

So, any advice before we make a purchase? Recommendations, experiences etc.? We would really appreciate the help! :-D

Re: Women's Backpack

Postby USAKeller » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:50 am

I've struggled with packs for forever and finally tried Deuter last year. Of countless brands I've tried, Deuter has such a high level of both comfort and durability for me. So, like Anna, another vote for Deuter for your wife.
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby nkan02 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:36 am

I used Deuter ACT 60 on Rainier and I was happy with the suspension and support it provided. I don't get a chance to use the pack that much though. All my other packs are way smaller.

Postby mtnview » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:56 am

My daughter has the Gregory Deva 60L? She likes it a lot.

http://www.gregorypacks.com/products/womens

Regards
Allan A
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise (of his return), as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
http://www.truedino.com/colorado14ers.htm

Postby Wildernessjane » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:09 am

I love my Deuter women-specific pack. It fits better than any pack I've ever owned and it was smartly designed (lots of bells and whistles but still a really light pack).

Postby quattordesch » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:12 pm

+1 for Deuter

Postby LuLuLuv » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:02 pm

I have a Deuter Futura that I have used for the last 4 seasons. I purchased another pack that was an REI daily special and actually went back to my Deuter. The only very small issue that is a bit bothersome is the older air vent for my back on the pack. I feels it somewhat narrows the opening at the top of the pack (because it kind of bows in to allow for the venting). But obviously that doesn't bother me too much or I wouldn't have used the pack for so long :) I think they may have changed this feature too, I looked quickly at one in REI a while back and remember thinking anything I may have changed has happened on the newer version!

Postby bvhiker12 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:45 pm

I use a Dueter for hiking but love my GoLite backpack for overnights. They have women specific backpacks that are very adjustable and lightweight. They have a store in Denver near the REI and one in Silverthorne. Not sure where else they have stores, but you will need to try on any backpack for sure. :-D

Postby chrismjx » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:59 am

Thank you all so much for your input, we really appreciate it! It sounds like the Deuter brand is probably a good bet for her; we're normally the type that shop a lot before making purchase decisions, and I think this one threw us off because it was only the second pack she'd tried on. She has a very feminine figure and we were worried about finding a pack that would be comfortable for her, but it sounds like Deuter has done a good job of satisfying their female customers thus far and so we'll give it a shot and see how it works out!

Thanks again everyone, much appreciated! =D>

Postby waitingforanairplane » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:15 am

i'm in the market for a new 1-2 nighter backpack as well. do any females have a favorite pack they use for weekend backpacking trips around (mainly) colorado? i'm about 5'6" and unfortunately haven't mastered packing super light. taking that into consideration, what size should i be looking at? or brand, or specific model?

and, are there any features on a pack you've found that are super helpful that i should be making sure that the pack has?

thanks so much!

Postby Valesia » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:56 am

waitingforanairplane wrote:i'm in the market for a new 1-2 nighter backpack as well. do any females have a favorite pack they use for weekend backpacking trips around (mainly) colorado? i'm about 5'6" and unfortunately haven't mastered packing super light. taking that into consideration, what size should i be looking at? or brand, or specific model?

and, are there any features on a pack you've found that are super helpful that i should be making sure that the pack has?

thanks so much!

My wife has uses a Osprey Aura 50, Lots of usable space (we don't pack light), not over priced (Got hers for 120 bucks), lifetime warranty.
Life does not come with cairns to guide you, you must follow your dreams.

Postby swampthing » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:14 am

I am your height (5'6") and share the same problem/blessing of not being the world's lightest packer. For this reason, I use two packs: one as my go-to day hike pack and one as my larger, multi-day backpack.

My usual 14er/day hike pack is the Mountainsmith Wraith pack (I think it's a 25 ltr), which comfortably fits my small medical kit, rain coat, food, two water bottles, Nikon camera, etc. It definitely gets packed but I have always managed to fit the necessary and less-necessary things (like two extra bottles of beer...for science) and has loops for an ice axe, although you have get a little creative if you want two on there. It has a chest strap and a hip strap that are easy to adjust, plus it is styled to vent the wearer's back nicely. All in all, I love it.

My "expedition" pack is the Go Lite Quest 60L pack which I also love. It fits everything I need for longer trips, including my 2-p tent, sleeping bag, all cooking gear, plus the daily stuff listed above. This one has lots of conventient pockets for things like chapstick and a small camera right on the hip straps and has a really cool pocket on the top for quick access - there's nothing worse than rifling through a carefully constructed pack to find a map or something.

Both of these are very comfortable and not too huge on me. They also both have pockets for hydration systems, although I don't really use them because I'm paranoid about bursting my water system... Probably not a problem for normal people though. Have fun picking out a new pack!

Next