Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Suggestions for new skis?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Suggestions for new skis?

Postby Dave B » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:52 am

I'd like to get a new pair of skis for spring but am overwhelmed by the number of options. Google searches resulting in Wild Snow/TGR/Epic Ski reviews haven't helped a whole lot and didn't find any threads on the topic here (at least not with discussion of the 12-13 models).

Any suggestions for a great all-around quiver-of-one BC ski? My one and only requirement is that they not be twin tips.

As far as my skiing, I'm not super aggressive but am moving into steeper terrain with several of the easier couloirs on my to-do list for spring.

Cheers!
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Re: Suggestions for new skis?

Postby lordhelmut » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:00 am

Dave - Check out the Ski Logik Ullr Chariots, they have a flat tail version in a 182cm (I think I recall you mentioning you were about 6'3 and over 200 pounds or so, correct me if I'm wrong, sorry if I recalled incorrectly). They are a great "quiver" ski, durable and excel when the crud gets tough, but still feasible in the bumps and trees, very turnable in the steeps.

http://www.skilogik.com/skis-rockerlogik-ullrschariotrl.php

For something more backcountry specific, maybe check out the Yeti's. They are similar in dimensions to Chariots, but have a partial carbon fiber base, don't bust through all conditions like the Chariots, but you'll appreciate the weight. I know others will probably disagree, but you might want to throw a pair of Freerides, Marker F10/12's on there instead of Dynafits, give yourself a little more weight.

http://www.skilogik.com/skis-backcountry-yeti.php

Postby Dave B » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:58 am

lordhelmut wrote:...they have a flat tail version in a 182cm (I think I recall you mentioning you were about 6'3 and over 200 pounds or so, correct me if I'm wrong, sorry if I recalled incorrectly)....

Sadly, I'm a closer to 230 right now. I currently ski 185's and really feel like I need a bit more ski (although my skis are twin-tips) and was looking at something in the 187-190 range. I wish the Chariots came in a bigger size because Skilogik sure makes some purty skis and I keep hearing great things about them. Although, I did notice you can get a custom set for $1300
Thanks for the suggestion, Brian.

Postby EatinHardtack » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:03 am

My suggestion is if you can pay a little more than keep your Money in America. You may pay a little more but I like the smaller companies. But others make quality gear also K2, BD, etc....

Happy hunting.

Moment-Reno
Icelantic- Colorado
ON3P- Portland
Ski Logic- I believe Colorado?
Folsom- Colorado
Wagner- Colorado

Postby Bean » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:41 am

Pretty sure Ski Logik is made in china.

I think you'd be pretty happy with the 192 DPS Wailer 99.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby jrs1965 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:48 am

EatinHardtack wrote:My suggestion is if you can pay a little more than keep your Money in America.

I'll add Romp Skis out of Crested Butte to your list of locals:

http://www.rompskis.com/

Postby Oman » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:55 am

Those Ski Logik are great-looking skis. Boutique skis ain't cheap, though.

I vote yes on my K2 Coombas. Light on the up and snappy on the down. They ski well at the resort, too, and turn pretty well on bumps and in trees at MJ.

Postby mtnfiend » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:03 am

4 front makes some pretty sweet skis and they are based out of utah, but I'm not sure if they manufacture there.

If it helps, my idea of a good all around performing ski (resort/BC/ski mountaineering) would be a ski with a waist dimension between 90 and 100mm (some may disagree with that, but that's my o-pinion).
Didn't I ever tell you.....Bumble's bounce!!!

Postby njwhite » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:44 am

If you don't want twin tips go for Dynastar Cham 97 or Dynastar High Mountain Cham 97. If you wanted something skinnier try the Dynastar Cham 87 or Dynastar High Mountain Cham 87

http://www.dynastar.com/US/US/dynastar-skis-men-freeride.html

Postby Dave B » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:16 pm

A lot of good suggestions so far, thanks!

It seems that looking for a bigger ski (>185cm) with a modest budget (<$600) really narrows down the field.

So now the big question is: early rise or dual rocker?

Postby jam6880 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:29 pm

K2 sideseth or Atomic automatic would be my choice if I needed a BC ski. They are pretty wide ski to keep you up on top. :-D :) :o

Postby Bean » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:43 pm

Dave B wrote:A lot of good suggestions so far, thanks!

It seems that looking for a bigger ski (>185cm) with a modest budget (<$600) really narrows down the field.

So now the big question is: early rise or dual rocker?

Black Diamond Revert in 189 would probably meet your needs and MSRP is $650 for this year's model. But do not buy this year's version, it's way too soft for my liking and you've got a few pounds on me. Next year's is stiffened up substantially. It has a little bit of early rise and a liiiitle bit of rise in the tail, but it's shaped such that the tails can be plunged for anchors without issue.

At your weight, something beefier (even with metal in it) might be a smart choice.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Next