Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Talk to me about 4-season tents

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Talk to me about 4-season tents

Postby seano732 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:34 am

+1 on all things Nemo ( tents, not the movie. Actually, +1 on the movie too. (: ) I'd keep my eye on Steep and Cheep..... My 4 season Nemo is BOMB PROOF, and I cook inside that thing all the time. Peace!
" I want to be more like the Ocean, no talking and all action"- Jane's Addiction
"Where is the love, to be found?"- Bob Marley
"It's just a ride..." Bill Hicks

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:40 am

seth0687 wrote:MH EV2

+1

Mountain Hardware EV 2
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby broncotw » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:17 am

I own the Northface Assault 2 (2 man tent with vestibule ).... It is a 4-season tent and it's rated for expeditions....

It is a very solid tent and has withstood high winds and major rainstorms with ease...

I love the tent -- the downside is it's about twice as heavy as other non 4-season tents and it's pretty steamy in the summer months...

It sells for approximately $439.00....

I think you would be happy with it....
Ted from TEXAS!

Postby pvnisher » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:43 pm

Sierra Designs Convert 3.
Very long (good for tall guys), and very light for the sq ft.
With internal guylines it's quite strong, but probably not Himalayan-ready.
Thing I like best is the zippered flap near the main door. You can dig it out a bit and step inside the tent with boots and crampons. Plus put boots/crampons on inside the tent before heading out. That makes starting the day with warm fingers a bit easier. Or you can cook in there without worrying about the floor.
http://www.sierradesigns.com/p-148-convert-3.aspx

Postby zacob » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:24 pm

While I don't have any of their current tents, I have been very happy with my MSR tent. It has handled two very nasty storms on Mt Rainier. The company has a good name and reputation.
The Dragontail looks to be in your price range as a single wall tent about the right size and not too bad on the weight at under 6lbs packed weight.
The Fury is a double wall right at about 7lbs and is also in your price range.
Both look easy to set up by one person in high winds which is something you will want to factor into the equation as alone you will have more difficulty with a tent in high winds and you don’t want your home away from home catching an early flight.

dragontail http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/explore-series/dragontail/product
Fury http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/explore-series/fury/product

Postby Gabriel » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:24 pm

For high altitude soloing you really need to consider weight and the ability to set the tent up by yourself in extremely windy conditions. I can recommend the BD firstlight. It's what I used for My Aconcagua solo hike on the normal route from Plaza de Mulas. I also used it for solo climbing last summer in the Indian Himalayas and was impressed. It has internal poles which means you can crawl inside and set it up while out of the elements. Dealing with a fly or even external poles is difficult or impossible for one person in really tough conditions.

If I were to hike the normal route again I wouldn't take a tent. There are so many services available in Confluencia and Mulas that Aconcagua has become non-expeditionary. You can hike into base camp with a super light daypack and rent one of the tents that the outfitters have set up for a few bucks per night. You can also rent a tent to take to Camp Canada or Nido and summit from there. Meals, beer and water are cheap in base camp also. They even have a basecamp hotel with hot showers and a bar. If you want to play expedition it's possible, but not necessary.

Have Fun,

G

Postby HuskyRunner » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:32 am

"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker

Postby herdbull » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:04 am

So I've been bouncing back and forth between tent styles. Awesome prices on some BD I-Tents, Fitzroys & Tempests yet. I love the simplicity, durability, lightweight, reputation of the the I-Tent & Fitzroys. These tents look to be something you could buy, blindfold yourself, dump out in the front yard and have it set up within minutes. Except for the Tempest. But, I don't know if a single wall is the way to go. I think it would work great for SA but don't know about future climbs in other climates. I would also need to purchase the vestibule for the I-Tent and Fitzroy.

The MH EV's are out due to the vestibule having a floor :( . The Trangos are to stinkin heavy as is any other tent in it's class that weighs 10+lbs. I came across new MSR Fury's for $460. It's still lightweight even being a double wall. It might take a bit more effort to set up in not so friendly conditions. But it has a floorless vestibule and is somewhat lightweight at 7lbs. And it's big for a 2 person.

Thanks for the ideas on all the tents. Most them have been checked off of the list for whatever reason as I seem to keep coming back to a few tents over and over.

Quality with the BD's may win over the Fury. MSR makes decent stuff but I'm not sure if they stack up with BD stuff. I wish a guy could set them up side by each and compare.

Previous