Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Talk to me about 4-season tents

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Talk to me about 4-season tents

Postby Mike8000m » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:12 pm

You might look at the Easton Torrent tent. They have a 2p version. It's brand new. I field test it in 20 inch snow storm. Strong design and as a 4 season tent it's not going to break the bank. I think it 500 bucks.

Postby Scott P » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:20 pm

I don't know if you are interested, but I have a Sierra Design Hercules AST 2 (the strong verson, not the Assault version, but the Hercules version). At the time I purchased it, it was the strongest tent available and was supposedly wind tested at 200 mph.

I purchased the tent because I was invited on an expedition to do the first winter ascent of Muztag Ata, but the expedition never took place. I've never used or opened the tent and it still has the pricetag on it.

The Hercules has been replaced by the Mountain Meteor.

I've been hanging on to the tent because peaks like Khan Tengri and Pik Pobeda (etc.) have been near the top of my wish list for a long time, but as time passes the chances of me getting to climb those peaks seems to get slimmer over time.

Anyway, if you would be interested in buying the Hercules tent, let me know.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby herdbull » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:51 pm

Lots of good stuff here guys. Yes, this will be for Aconcagua so maybe a MH EV 2 will suffice. I was thinking double wall for condensation but that's a good point about the moisture. Right now it's just me, no partner, no guide so i can get by with a 2 person.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:19 pm

I've got a couple of classic, original, Todd Bibler tents in excellent condition if you're interested.

Pre-Black Diamond, of course. Original Todd-Tex material. Bomb-proof. One is the Ahwahnee. The other is an El Dorado, which is the same as the I-tent only a little longer. It has a door at each end. Very roomy for one, will sleep two snugly. The Ahwahnee is pure bliss; the entire side opens as a door. It can sleep three, is more generous for two than a usual 2-person, and is obscenely luxurious for one. I have never had condensation in any season in this tent.

Either one kicks ass in high winds and heavy snow loads. These tents just love two feet of new overnight. Like a Porsche, they feel rock solid at 90 mph. And unlike the new BD tents, they are not "highly water resistant." They are truly waterproof.

They're just sitting in the closet; should go to someone who can use them, appreciate them, and care for them. I don't know what they're worth but a quick check on eBay should provide a fair value.

PM if interested.

Postby climbing_rob » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:35 am

One absolute requirement of mine for a mountaineering tent: it has to have a floorless vestibule. When I looked at the MHW EV2/3's, they did not have this, their "vestibule" was "integrated" or some words like that, basically an extension of the floored tent area. When I set up a tent on a high mountain, I dig out the vestibule area maybe 18" deep, use it to cook in, dangle feet into while putting on boots, store stuff in, that sort of thing. A level vestibule area doesn't work as well for me, nor does an "integrated" one; I like the vestibule to be a separate space (zippered door between main tent and vestibule).

Anyway, even though I'm a bit of a lightweight freak, I still swear by the stupid-heavy MHW Trango series of tents, and these tents have treated me very well in some very high and very cold places. I've tried and like the lighter Hillibergs too, but haven't pulled the trigger on one, and probably won't. I also still use my good old Bibler Eldorado for either solo or with just my wife for a night or two.

Postby HuskyRunner » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:18 am

Love my Bibler Fitzroy and wouldn't hesitate taking it out into the harshest conditions, the thing is a bombshelter. Plenty of other good mountaineering tents out there to choose from.

If you're interested in some of the Todd Bibler designs Black Diamond is having a web special on some of them, the deal was really good a few days ago, special discounts for 2 hours: http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/web-specials/?utm_source=hotwire-03122013&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=3day_reminder
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker

Postby herdbull » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:38 pm

That BD Tempest looks....well..... tempting for the price. As does the Fitzroy. Could hardly go wrong with $420 for the Fitzroy.

LOL at the "stupid heavy Trango". That was my thoughts exactly when I came across a good price on a used one and then did some research #-o . I'm also a bit sketchy about burning the MSR Simmerlite under any sort of tent or opening. The thing always wants to let off some sort of flame at start up. Although trying to burn that stove on Acon in the wind without some sort of shelter could be a bad idea.

It might have to wait a month or 2, even with the good prices. I'm still hurting from all of the other gear I've picked up recently.

Postby lazy climber » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:37 pm

I have a Bibler Bomb Shelter and it is not called a Bomb Shelter for nothing, high winds, bad weather no problems. It does condenstate a bit but not a big problem, a bit much for a one person show. My daughter has a Fitroy, same as the Bomb just smaller/lighter, I think around 6 pounds. These tents are a bit spendy but worth the $$ if you need something to get through bad weather.

A Fitroy for $420....Like you said, cannot go wrong for that price

Postby shearmodulus » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:55 pm

The guys on Rainier with me cooked with MSR Whisperlite Internationals under their T3 vestibules with no issues so long as they set the stoves in their boot wells dug out under the fly.

I cooked ONCE with my MSR Whisperlite inside my EV2. I had to put a skillet over the flare up during priming and it STILL melted the insect netting on one of the vents near the door. :-/ I'll not be doing that again anytime soon.

I'm thinking of adding a tarp and bungees to my kit when going out on extended trips to create a covered area for me to work in.
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads...."

Postby herdbull » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:31 pm

shearmodulus wrote:
I'm thinking of adding a tarp and bungees to my kit when going out on extended trips to create a covered area for me to work in.

I like your thinking. That is the downside to that stove or do all white gas stoves do that? Maybe I need to upgrade :-k hmmmmmm more gear :-D

Postby ulvetano » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:50 pm

A cool looking Nemo on S&C right now...

Postby Climbdent » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:29 pm

http://climbhigh.com/brooks-range-invasion-tent.html?gclid=CJeXwuKh-7UCFYpDMgod82UAlQ

Check out the tent at the above link. Somewhat similar to the EV2 but with a real vestibule. Condensation can be a problem in wet climates as with all single wall tents (no matter the manufacturer claims to the contrary)

PreviousNext