Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Talk to me about 4-season tents

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Talk to me about 4-season tents

Postby herdbull » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:08 pm

I am in the market for a 2 person (1 person and gear) 4 season tent to take to South America. I am looking for something pretty bomb proof and that can handle sustained high winds and the typical crap ma nature can throw on you down there.

I'd like to stay in the $500-$600, maybe up to $700. Or pick up a used more expensive tent in this price range. Any thoughts, suggestions, other? What have you guys used that you like or dislike? I see a lot of MH EV 2's out there for sale but I also see a lot of not so favorable reviews on this tent.

Re: Talk to me about 4-season tents

Postby awilbur77 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:57 pm

I got a MH Direkt 2. It's awesome, bombproof, and once you get used to the internal pole structure, it's not too difficult to put together. Best part is that is it way lightweight too.
"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." - Hellen Keller
http://awilbur77.blogspot.com/

Postby TomPierce » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:13 pm

I like my Hilleberg Soulo. Easy to pitch, pretty bombproof IMO. It's double-wall (which I prefer in winter tents, warmer and less condensation) roomy for one and it has a small vestibule for storing gear. If you actually used every guyline attachment Hilleberg installed on the tent it'd probably easily ride out a tornado :lol:. I actually re-rigged mine to cut down on the guylines. But it may be too snug for your use, not sure how much gear you'd be hauling, etc.
-Tom

Postby JE242 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:07 pm

I have an Integral Designs MK1XL. I got it with two doors and the additional vestibule (which I only use in the winter/snow). It has stood confidently in some pretty wicked snowstorms (below and above treeline) and in summer rainstorms. It is perfect as a one-man + gear. I have slept two in it when my buddies tarp was invaded by a persistant porcupine, but it was tight.

Setting it up is pretty easy, but getting the velcro around the poles on the inside can be tricky and forces me to do sit-ups if I don'want to remove my boots. In calm summer conditions, I barely bother with them.
I have had no condensation issues with the 'tegral-tex' fuzzy fabric on the inside and minimal frozen to the poles.

I will say customer support has gone the way of the sewer. I recieved my tent with a pencil-sized hole in the mesh in the door. It was a two+ month cat n mouse game for me to get my tent back from ID with shotty patch-work that I could have performed @ home. My phone calls were ignored/dodged and email not reponded to. I even offered to drop-off and pick it up in Boulder to save time. They wouldn't do it.

To summerize: I don't think I would want any other single-wall tent for my uses. BUT, I would not mind giving it a break from time to time for a Hilleberg Soulo or Jannu, and the customer support that comes with them.

Postby nyker » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:12 pm

I second the Soulo. I set this up above treeline under Kit Carson a couple years ago. It got tested in a very windy storm which lasted most of the night prior - this baby didn't move and had torrential rain coming down all afternoon and night. Winds were 30mph sustained, gusting to 50 at times for hours and while it made noise on the walls, there was no instability.

I sold two other tents to get this one, but as Tom mentioned, its a double wall, pitches as one piece and is probably overkill in many situations, but it's strong and I like it.

I've used the MH Direkt on a couple occasions and like that tent also; it's about 2/3 the weight of the Soulo, but I'd trust the Soulo more in worse conditions.
The MH Direkt also developed a leak in the middle of the back wall. Assuming you are going to either higher peaks and/or Patagonia, I'd opt for the Hilleberg.
Attachments
DSC_0087_HB.jpg
DSC_0087_HB.jpg (261.05 KiB) Viewed 845 times

Postby yedi » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:49 am

I'm also looking for a four-season tent, and I've been looking at the ID MK2 Lite and a couple of the Hillebergs. Did Rab buy ID? The Rab Latok Mountain looks just like the MK2 Lite. Also, it looks like ID has gone back to using eVent for their single walls. Any experience with eVent versus the TegralTex fabric they used in the past?

ETA: nyker, what's the true weight of your Soulo, if you happen to know? Hard to figure out a real world weight when they only give you minimum and packaged weight.
Last edited by yedi on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby seth0687 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:28 am

MH EV2

Postby astrobassman » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:44 am

I picked up a Hilleberg Jannu last year. I can't say enough good things about it - and if this weren't the case I would be pretty upset considering how much I paid for it. Its bomb proof, big enough for 2 large dudes with gear to be comfortable, and relatively light weight.
803267.jpg
803267.jpg (180.92 KiB) Viewed 667 times

Postby Exiled Michigander » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:17 pm

Postby shearmodulus » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:41 pm

seth0687 wrote:MH EV2

For dry conditions - I second this.

I took my Mountain Hardware EV2 to Mt. Rainier for an 8-day course. It was interesting keeping the condensation in check in those conditions, but not too bad.

It performs flawlessly in drier climes like Colorado. Depending on where you go in South America, it would be a good option. Aconcagua (sp?) is very dry as well. I've weathered some pretty bad gusty nights in the EV2. Properly staked out and guyed out it was totally bomber. Only downside is that it does not have a vestibule, so you are exposed while cooking.

The rest of the group used rental tents - Mountain Hardware T3's. Double wall with two small vestibules (main one is much larger than the back one). Lots more space, but more weight, but the vestibule was very handy when the weather was crappy.
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads...."

Postby Tigerbear » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:09 pm

Marmot Alpinist 2 person. I took it to Patagonia and it withstood a sand storm!
It is great to put together in the cold even with mittens on. The tent clips to the poles and is very easy set up.
Do open a vent, no matter how cold it is, to avoid condensation!
people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel...

Postby Fisching » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:15 pm

herdbull wrote:I'd like to stay in the $500-$600, maybe up to $700. Or pick up a used more expensive tent in this price range. Any thoughts, suggestions, other? What have you guys used that you like or dislike? I see a lot of MH EV 2's out there for sale but I also see a lot of not so favorable reviews on this tent.

Denver REI Garage Sale. Sunday (not Saturday). Go only in the later afternoon when they begin to discount things, including tents ridiculously. I got my 4-season tent at said event for $50.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Next