Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ski carry packs

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Ski carry packs

Postby PaliKona » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:52 am

I'm looking at the Black Diamond Bandit or Agent - does anyone have it and use it to hike with skis? Is it supportive of the weight or is it awkward while hiking? This is not for a long trek, just hiking things like Highlands Bowl.

Re: Ski carry packs

Postby EatinHardtack » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:26 am

Look into the hipbelts on those. They are not very supportive at all if you slap skis on the packs, this is my opinion. The hipbelts are minimal at best on both those packs. Not sure if that matters to you or not.

I have the older version of the BD Revelation pack and loved it, starting to wear out now after use. Look into Dakine and Deuter for good packs also.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby Voodoo302 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:29 am

I spent a lot of time looking at the Agent this fall, in the end I went with the TNF Chugach 16. I went with the North Face pack because it is a little smaller (I only wanted it for Berthoud/Loveland/etc. type days, so I didn't want too much volume), lower profile against your back (good for the occasional inbounds use) and because it has better compression. The Agent only has compression straps at the bottom. Neither of the two packs have padded or substantial waistbelts, as EatinHardtack said, but for my uses (and yours, it sounds like), the support of a waistbelt isn't really needed.

Having said all that, it was a difficult decision between the Agent and the Chugach, but I've been really pleased; TNF has a few bags of a similar style/size that may be worth checking out in addition to the BD (and Dakine and Deuter).

Postby Exiled Michigander » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:47 am

Postby bergsteigen » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:49 am

I picked up an Agent on SAC for the exact same use. I've just forgotten to use it :oops: I wanted something small enough to use as a regular inbounds carry, as well as the short early/late season BC run where you don't have a lot of gear, but a possible carry, where my Osprey Kode 30 is overkill. I like the lack of hip belt for inbounds usage, where that's just extra bulk, and I'm not really carrying anything heavy anyway for any length of time.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby nkan02 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:53 pm

I picked up the BD Covert recently (speaking of the backpack gear addiction :P ), I think it is 32L. Pretty happy with it so far. It has good hipbelt support, easy to put skis on, lots of bells and whistles - loops for ice axes, separate compartment for shovel/probe, sack for helmet, etc.

Postby PaliKona » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:18 pm

Cool I'll look into those. Just looked at the new Agent at Neptune...unimpressed esp bc of the belt, which I do need to be at least decent