Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Favorite Recipes Hiking & Camping Food

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Favorite Recipes Hiking & Camping Food

Postby Mindy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:05 pm

I have discovered my favorite hiking food at the moment (winter) is homemade banana bread (made with yogurt). I thought I once saw a thread with favorite trail food recipes, but maybe not (couldn’t find anything).

Curious to know if some of you make your own trail snacks or backpack meals (for any season), and what the recipes are (if you don’t mind sharing them that is)? :)

Re: Favorite Recipes Hiking & Camping Food

Postby randalmartin » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:08 pm

Postby Andymcp1 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:25 pm

My favorite meal while out is one that I read about first in a John Fielder book. It is a creamy chicken ramen.
1 package of ramen
1 pack non- refridgerated cream cheese ( an ounce or so)
1 pack vaccumm sealed chicken

Instructions: bring water to boil, toss ramen in and let sit for a few minutes. Drain water. Add in ramen seasoning, cream cheese and chicken. Stir until the seasoning and cream cheese is melted. Enjoy.

Only takes a few minutes to prepair and can be done easily with just about any cooking system. To top it off it costs about 3 bucks and can be easily made for alot of people.

Postby bonehead » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:32 pm

Edit:
Presto did a much better job of this.
Last edited by bonehead on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Presto » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:08 pm

As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby Mindy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:12 pm

bonehead wrote:Edit:
Presto did a much better job of this.

She did, didn't she… I gave up looking after 2011. Here's a nice big smile for you Presto :-D

When I say recipe, I was initially looking for homemade items vs. "concoctions", if you know what I mean (randalmartin thanks for the link!). I now see some “concoctions” I would have never considered – thanks everyone – and keep the recipes coming if you have anything to add!

Bonehead - it sounds like you should be selling your banana bread!

Postby bonehead » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:18 pm

Actually
I make for a better soup nazi.

Postby Presto » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:51 am

Mindy, this is a good forum I've attached below. Many, many pages of input. Some of the contributors on the site actually have cookbooks and websites of their own focusing on trail/camp cooking. You can always ignore the discussions focusing on "post-climb eats".

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=13&sid=98cc529f59aa96b91c50c58e98c4d5ba
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby Mindy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:25 am

Thank you Presto. Appreciated!

Postby ak47 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:47 pm

I make my own soups in the summer (endless possibilities), then dehydrate them in my excalibur dehydrator. In camp it's as simple as boiling water. There are a few parameters I stick to: no dairy or meat products, you can add these in camp if you must and the dried soup will last longer. Other than that the recipe possibilities are endless! One of my favorites is pumpkin coconut red curry, in camp I add a can of chicken or salmon if I'm really hungry. I also use this dehydrating process to make instant applesauce, raw peach or apricot puree in the summer when the fruits are in season and I can get them locally, mashed sweet potatoes or carrots, etc. Then you can enjoy local fruits/ veggies all winter! They're so good I'll often eat them dried (fruit leather). I personally feel much better not eating any processed packaged foods and being able to control sodium, sugar, and preservative intake. Without the dehydrator I'd be lost AK

Postby wooderson » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:53 pm

Mindy wrote:Thank you Presto. Appreciated!

Presto knows whereof she speaks when it comes to backcountry cuisine. Her tips and advice are what got me and Papi through an 8-night Weminuche trip last summer.

Couple of things that worked really well on that trip:

-Angel hair pasta with a packet of dried pesto sauce (which you can find it most any grocery store), dehydrated tomatoes (not sundried, though those would also work I suppose... you can get the dehydrated from Packit Gourmet), olive oil, Parmesan. Soak the tomatoes in a little water while the pasta cooks (it's quick). Leave a little water when you drain the pasta and then toss everything in.

-The Fantastic Foods vegan taco filling with couscous. This stuff is another Presto recommendation and it tastes remarkably like actual ground taco meat.

-Instant pudding... put it in a ziplock with some powdered milk, pour in cold water at camp. We found that if you add maybe a half cup less water than what the recipe calls for, it has the consistency of brownie batter (in a good way, obviously).

Postby yedi » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:37 pm

Andymcp1 wrote:My favorite meal while out is one that I read about first in a John Fielder book. It is a creamy chicken ramen.
1 package of ramen
1 pack non- refridgerated cream cheese ( an ounce or so)
1 pack vaccumm sealed chicken

Instructions: bring water to boil, toss ramen in and let sit for a few minutes. Drain water. Add in ramen seasoning, cream cheese and chicken. Stir until the seasoning and cream cheese is melted. Enjoy.

I thought this sounded intriguing, so I tried it out the other night. It's good. Definitely something I would take on a trip.

Next