Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What's your gear addiction?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: What's your gear addiction?

Postby wildone » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:54 am

Gotta get in on this one. I had too much fun with the Gear Organization thread. Hard to choose, since I seem to have so much of most everything. But in sheer numbers and affinity, I'd say boots and packs. Packs only 8, but I am in the process of switching to the Osprey line (looking at the Talon, Mutant, Variant, Kode and Aether). I would keep my other packs though, they have been good to me and some you can't find anymore (i.e. Dana Design) :)

So, as of now, footwear tops the list. I second Seth0687, I could buy (I'm almost there anyway) the whole La Sportiva line. I have:

10 pairs of boots (Koflach Degre. La Sportiva Baruntse, Nepal Evo, Trango S Evo, Latok, Delta, Trango Alp, Glacier, Omega, Thunder; soon to have the Batura and Spantik, giving me 12. Looking at the Lhotse and Pamir.)
8 pairs of approach, multisport, and trail running shoes (Mostly La Sportiva too - Beryl, Boulder X, Wildcat GTX, Wildcat, Xplorer. Also have two pairs of Montrail and a pair of Boreal.)

Gloves are up there too, since my hands have gotten cold one too many times; probably 18-20 pairs.

This is bad and probably a sign of serious addiction ](*,) , but I couldn't leave out ice axes/tools:
5 axes
3 sets of tools

No one's weighed in on harnesses/helmets:
8 harnesses/7 helmets

Postby Dex » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:37 pm

wildone wrote:Gotta get in on this one.

These are the original Twelve Steps

We admitted we were powerless over gear.
Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves and our gear.
Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
Continued to take personal inventory, and when we were wrong, promptly admitted it.
Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to gear-coholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby cutbackcoach » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:35 pm

Crampons. There is no combination or permutation of points and bindings that I do not own. Enough to outfit a medium sized expedition.

But I can quit any time I want to.

Postby Dark Helmet » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:37 am

I'm just a shoe whore... not hike/climb specific...

trainers x2
racers
minimalists
hikers-low
hikers-high
insulated hiker/hunters
insulated backups (these live in the Jeep all winter)
3 pairs of soccer shoes
4 pairs of dress shoes
old hikers-low for yard work
cycling
topsiders
sandals x2

just ordered two MORE pairs, and am looking to snag a third at REI next weekend... which will make it a nice round TWENTY FIVE pairs...

Postby Bean » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:50 am

Dark Helmet wrote:I'm just a shoe whore... not hike/climb specific...
cycling

You're just getting started. I've got four pair with SPD cleats alone.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Previous