Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What's your gear addiction?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: What's your gear addiction?

Postby Duffus Kentucky Climber » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:52 am

nkan02 wrote:Baselayers for me too. I was going on almost a week-long trip and decided I needed a few more of these. Do you know what it feels like walking into REI store a few hours before departure and finding a midweight Smartwool bottom layer in my size on clearance rack for $20? It turns out I snatched the last one in that SKU for the whole company! Boy, that felt like winning the lottery.:)

A factory in my town makes Underarmor and military underwear and cold weather gear. I have supplied everyone I know with fleece zip necks and trou and long sleeve crews from their outlet shop. Three bucks for a grid fleece top that Patagonia sells for millions of dollars. Nine dollars and a shell layer and hit the slopes. Olive drab is the new fashion statement.
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!

Postby bonehead » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:03 am

Duffus Kentucky Climber wrote:Olive drab is the new fashion statement.

I like your style, wish I knew you.
I have 60 German army surplus olive drab long sleeve zip turtle necks with a very long tuck in.
My base layer for the entire winter. (9 months here)
Should last me a few years.
$1.70 each.

Postby njlinderer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:14 am

Wool socks
--Rock Chalk Jayhawk--

Postby Vids » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:50 am

Maps and books are my biggest. I also can't seem to stop improving my clothing whether it is base layers or outer shells. There is always something I need.....

Postby semitrueskerm » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:20 pm

GoPRO

Postby TomPierce » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:44 pm

This thread is too funny. Yep, like many here I have a ton of specific gear for specific applications: Packs, clothes, rock/ice gear, etc. A lot of stuff that's just accumulated over the years. But my hidden addiction? My fetish? Mittens. I must have 10 different types. Synthetic, wool, down, you name it. A real mitten slut I am, just can't say no...
-Tom

Postby SingleSpeed » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:55 pm

+1 on maps. And headlamps. I can never pass up a good deal, especially at an REI garage sale, so I always bring batteries with me. Besides I never remember where I left the things. Perhaps it is because my 4year old son is picking up the obsession as well and keeps taking mine. Damn I'm produ of him!!!

Postby Chicago Transplant » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:55 pm

I'm going to go with maps, I have a hiking boot box literally full of trails illustrated and other various maps. Hiking boot boxes work great, they are a little deeper than the folded up TI maps are wide and you line them on their sides really well. I also have 4 full sized quad maps mounted on my wall (Mt Jackson, Vail East, Mt Powell and Willow Lakes). I want to get the Storm King Quad and post it too.

Second would be skis, I think I have 7 pairs now. Not as much as some other skiers I know, but I did toss 2 pairs rock skis that had broken bindings after last season.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby Tortoise1 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:41 pm

Water bottle belts and water bottles. There's a perfect bottle for every belt, and I must find it - fits perfectly, doesn't fall out but is easily accessed, highest possible capacity, good cap, no leak, etc. etc. I may have to open up a retail store someday selling just water belts and bottles to get rid of it all. Also a bit of a convertible pants problem but that's child's play by comparison.

Postby Corn » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:19 am

For me the main one would be jackets but I'll buy anything I can find to add to my ever growing gear collection. I don't have a want list, if I can get it with a pro deal or find it on a discount website, it's mine. Since August I've spent about 5 grand on gear. If your like me and you don't think that's too bad please feel free to speak to my wife for me, I'll gladly give you her contact info, before our first trip to Bent Gate and Neptune Mountaineering tomorrow!

Postby bergsteigen » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:56 am

Skis and ski gear....

I have 7 pairs of skis, and they each have their own boots to match. My quiver spans track XC to BC XC to in-bounds downhill to BC/mountain, so that explains many of the skis. Some are going on 20 years old too... But I still want more to add to niches, like some rocker skis :mrgreen: and I would love some stiffer BC skis for the steep couloirs, since BD Joules are like noodles on ice.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby Papillon » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:59 pm

Not really a gear addiction, more of a gear obsession. All wants/needs/purchases fall into place with one of these:

For trace items like backcountry spliffs, I'll utilize the five-point analytical balance at work.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs

PreviousNext