Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What's your gear addiction?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

What's your gear addiction?

Postby yedi » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:57 pm

Hello, my name is yedi, and I'm a jacket addict.

I didn't think I had a problem. I thought it was normal to have to triple up on coat hangers to squeeze everything into a closet. But then a certain someone I live with pointed out to me that my "quiver" is now up to 26 jackets. I'd like to think I can stop, but any time I head to a gear store, I make a beeline for the jacket section. If a piece I've had my eye on is on sale, watch out.

But....I know I'm not alone. Friends collect tents, and boots, and stoves like they're baseball cards. So, I'm curious, what is the piece (or pieces) of gear that you just can't seem to stop collecting?

Re: What's your gear addiction?

Postby VagabondSurveyor » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:59 pm

Running shoes... Maybe close to 100 pairs...

Postby Dex » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:00 pm

I read the Backpackinglight.com forum sometimes and over there it appears to be stoves.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:08 pm

yedi wrote: what is the piece (or pieces) of gear that you just can't seem to stop collecting?

Hmm... do we have to name just one?

I guess mine would be ropes.

But honestly, those guys that play golf - you know - they don't just have one or two clubs in the bag. Same deal, right?

I mean, it takes different ropes for different strokes. Sometimes you're putting with a 30m, other times hitting those long shots with a 60. A 70 is nice on those long fairways.

Singles are workhorses, but in the alpine sometimes the half's or twins are better. Those 7.8's are really light. But working that scary project, I'd like the 10.2 SuperSafe with the low impact force.

OK, I admit, I'm powerless over rope. Even retired rope. Just ask the GF.

Wait, don't ask her.

:-#

Postby Scott P » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:14 pm

Just about everything. :oops:

I guess there are a few exceptions since my beacon was loaned out and not returned and I have only one. I don't have that great of a rock rack either. Everything else is an addiction. Maybe the worse would be guidebooks since I have over 500 of them.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby Bean » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:16 pm

Skis and running shoes. Lucky for me, I'm pretty good at selling off "old" pairs of skis, and using or repurposing shoes until they're well past dead.

There's nothing wrong with having unlined and lined softshell jackets, a windstopper jacket, plus a light neoshell and eVent jacket, plus a number of ski coats with varying levels of insulation. They all have specific uses and see AT LEAST two days a year of use.
Last edited by Bean on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby SurfNTurf » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:18 pm

photo-1.JPG
photo-1.JPG (156.36 KiB) Viewed 647 times

...flags.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby hunterwf » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:30 pm

SurfNTurf wrote:
photo-1.JPG

...flags.

The Flag is awesome but the BD Reactor tools are a close second for sure :)
There are other Annapurnas in the lives of men.

- Maurice Herzog

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:33 pm

Things that weigh less than the things I already have.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Postby yedi » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:38 pm

Clearly, I've come to the right place. This makes me look downright sensible.

Bean wrote:a light neoshell and eVent jacket

This is not helping thin the closet. You don't find too much overlap in having both a light neoshell and an eVent jacket? What are the situations that you would use one but not the other?

Postby Bean » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:42 pm

yedi wrote:Clearly, I've come to the right place. This makes me look downright sensible.

Bean wrote:a light neoshell and eVent jacket

This is not helping thin the closet. You don't find too much overlap in having both a light neoshell and an eVent jacket? What are the situations that you would use one but not the other?

The eVent is more of a "freeride" (fat/baggy) ski cut so I use it inbounds skiing mostly. Neoshell is a Rab and as such has a Stupid Sexy Flanders cut which is appropriate any time I'm up high and want a hardshell.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby seth0687 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:50 pm

I like ANYTHING that has a specific purpose, which unfortunately makes me more than a bit of a gear whore....I have a jacket for every season, type of precip, type of activity, and level of breathability. I have packs for virtually every type of climb/hike/camp/etc...I have a dedicated sport climbing project rope, a set of twins for ice/alpine, a 70m Indian Creek workhorse and a few others hiding out somewhere. I have a harness for the gym, one for ice/alpine, and one for trad/sport. If there is a piece of gear that has a specific purpose or fills a very unique niche, I'm powerless not to buy it lol.

I think that I love gear just as much if not more than actually using said gear heh.

Next