Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sizing softshell jackets

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Sizing softshell jackets

Postby sciencedude288 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:45 pm

Hey all,

So after tons of deliberation, I finally purchased the Marmot ROM. I am very pleased with the jacket itself, but am finding that the sizing may be a bit wonky. I first tried on a small (grey in the photo album linked below). It was tight in the chest, waist, and elbows when I put on more than one layer. Also, I noted that when I lifted my arms up, it exposed my belly (which I find less than ideal). So, I decided to return that one and size up to the medium (green in the photos). However, now that I am trying on the medium, it seems a tad loose and baggy. Is this level of bagginess a big deal and should I find something a bit more close fitting, or am I just picking nits at this point.

Here's the link to the album: http://imgur.com/a/fOzLI

Thanks,

PS. I will be using it for climbing and mountaineering during the late fall, winter, and early spring (in the case that impacts anything).

Re: Sizing softshell jackets

Postby Dex » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:06 pm

Go baggy - you're not cruising in a bar.

You want to be able to layer a lot of clothing - I use 3 layers most times - Under armor cold weather, REI light weight base layer, light fleece - all with chest zippers, very important.

I think I have room in there for a Montbell UL Thermawrap.

Also, the arms should be long so that they tuck into your mitts & have Velcro closures.

Pit zips important.

Not to get too personal --- what is your chest size?

s m l
Chest 33-35 36-38 39-41
Last edited by Dex on Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby randalmartin » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:09 pm

Looking at your pictures I would go for the Medium.

I personally like base and mid layers to fit well. A softshell typically is only going to go over base or a form fitting mid layer (like an R1) so I don't need it to have a lot of room for layering. Others may feel differently. Unfortunately there are not too many brands out there that seem to make properly fitted clothing. That includes articulated cuts. Arcteryx and Mammut do but are quite expensive.

Postby sciencedude288 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:30 pm

Thanks for the reply. I really liked the Arc'teryx cut when I tried it in my store, but it's just so way outside of my price zone...

Postby Bean » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:21 pm

sciencedude288 wrote:Thanks for the reply. I really liked the Arc'teryx cut when I tried it in my store, but it's just so way outside of my price zone...

Wait for sales. Arc' fits me better than just about anything and I've only paid full pop for one piece. But that one piece is yellow and pants so it's not so bad.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby JB99 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:46 pm

What Bean said. Or find another brand or jacket that fits better. It's not worth having a sub-par jacket that will end getting replaced sooner than later anyway.

Postby sciencedude288 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:15 pm

Dex wrote:Go baggy - you're not cruising in a bar.

That's after the climb...

Dex wrote:Not to get too personal --- what is your chest size?

s m l
Chest 33-35 36-38 39-41

Hmmm...Marmot's size guide seemed a bit different. Your margins put me squarely in medium, but others put me on the high end of small. (36 to answer your question).

Postby sciencedude288 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:17 pm

JB99 wrote:What Bean said. Or find another brand or jacket that fits better. It's not worth having a sub-par jacket that will end getting replaced sooner than later anyway.

That may be true, but as a student there is only so much I can afford. I have been looking for Arc'teryx on sale and I have not seen it below 200 save for the odd ebay posting, which I am still looking out for. I am willing to accept not a great cut if it's not terribly oversized if I can save enough on price. I still need to be able to pay for gas to go on trips to use the gear!

Postby Dex » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:43 am

sciencedude288 wrote:
Dex wrote:Go baggy - you're not cruising in a bar.

That's after the climb...

Dex wrote:Not to get too personal --- what is your chest size?

s m l
Chest 33-35 36-38 39-41

Hmmm...Marmot's size guide seemed a bit different. Your margins put me squarely in medium, but others put me on the high end of small. (36 to answer your question).

My bad - I labeled the sizes wrong from the site - You're correct the M is on the large size. I still recommend that you leave enough room for layering. This will save you money by being able to adjust your clothing to the conditions.

Xs s m
Chest 33-35 36-38 39-41

http://marmot.com/products/rom_jacket
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby JB99 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:09 pm

sciencedude288 wrote:That may be true, but as a student there is only so much I can afford. I have been looking for Arc'teryx on sale and I have not seen it below 200 save for the odd ebay posting, which I am still looking out for. I am willing to accept not a great cut if it's not terribly oversized if I can save enough on price. I still need to be able to pay for gas to go on trips to use the gear!

I feel ya, I'm a student as well (in between programs right now, start grad school fall 13). That's why it's key to get the right piece of gear the first time, it'll save you money in the end. It doesn't have to be Arc'teryx, another Marmot jacket might even fit you perfectly fine. I'm just suggesting it's worth finding a piece that fits your budget and fits you - it's out there. The Patagonia Simple Guide jacket is a cheap option you might look at if you haven't already. Also, Spadout.com is a great spot to find the cheapest price on outdoor gear that might help your search.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."

Postby Lindahl » Sat May 11, 2013 8:39 am

Do you really need to fit more than one layer on underneath a softshell jacket? I've found that, when moving, I need a powerstretch baselayer at most, even down to sub-zero F temperatures. Insulating layers go on over the softshell, belay jacket style, when a boost is needed - during breaks or on descent.

You shouldn't be futzing with layers underneath a softshell during the day. (If you do, the problem is likely that you got the ROM jacket - which is a mostly non-breathable softshell)

Postby nyker » Sat May 11, 2013 7:16 pm

Lindahl wrote:Do you really need to fit more than one layer on underneath a softshell jacket? I've found that, when moving, I need a powerstretch baselayer at most, even down to sub-zero F temperatures. Insulating layers go on over the softshell, belay jacket style, when a boost is needed - during breaks or on descent.

You shouldn't be futzing with layers underneath a softshell during the day. (If you do, the problem is likely that you got the ROM jacket - which is a mostly non-breathable softshell)

Lindahl - You raise an interesting point, which I've always experimented with. For me, it depends where I climbing and when. For example - If I am in the the local Adirondacks, I can climb the same day I arrive (no altitude issues) and can move fast, hence work up heat quicker and need fewer layers, except maybe in winter conditions where I won't be moving that fast for safety reasons.

If I am coming to Colorado or the Sierras especially early in the season, after the long flight and drives, I usually won't be hiking that fast, at least initially. This is due to both lack of acclimatization and also even if feeling good, not wanting to push it too fast higher than 12k to risk any onset of AMS; thus when moving slower will usually have an extra layer on, particularly in cooler weather. After a few days in the mountains above 7000ft, I can speed up, adding 200-300ft per hour in vertical climbing speed all things equal, thus generate more heat and remove a layer, or two...