Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

How to waterproof a down bag?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

How to waterproof a down bag?

Postby chrismjx » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:21 pm

Anyone know of any good ways to make a non-water-resistant down bag (Marmot Atom) more water-resistant? I see there are washes, liners, etc., but can anyone make some first-hand recommendations?

Re: How to waterproof a down bag?

Postby CO Native » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:40 pm

Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby CO Native » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:47 pm

Seriously speaking it's best to go with a new bag designed with a waterproof breathable membrane or just buy a waterproof bivy. Trying to make a non waterproof bag waterproof usually results in it not breathing well which is really bad for a down bag.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby chrismjx » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:16 pm

I like your solution conative!

Yeah, I'm just trying to find an uber light bag for summer and the Marmot Atom seems to fit the bill. I just worry about being left with a soggy bag after a rainy day, even left in the tent. I also looked at the Sawtooth with MemBrane but its 2lbs heavier than the Atom and doesn't pack down as small. Guess I'll just try to keep it dry!

Postby TallGrass » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:17 pm

CO Native wrote:ultradry product video

Stuff looks nice until you look up its breath-ability,
which is contingent on its application process,
which is two-step and involved,
which is an easy way to make a good down bag a sauna.
Durability? Longevity?

+1 for a bivy or similar separate waterproof layer.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby swdishfishhoarder » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:44 pm

+1 for recommending the bivy covers. I used one while I was in the Army and it was great! They are Gore-tex and I slept in one outside with no tent during a small rainstorm. I was completly dry but because of the rain, I couldn't sleep. You can get them at almost any surplus store. The cheapest I've found is here: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/ZWB-157

Postby njlinderer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:15 pm

I wouldn't want to "waterproof" my down bag- if you're intent on doing it, ok, but I'd think it would end up ruining the down over time as your trapped body heat and condensation can't escape. It would really make it difficulty to properly dry your bag after use if it lacked that breathability. That's the beauty of a nice breathable down bag- you just hang it up, let the wind pass through it and it dries pretty efficiently. You don't want any wet down in there as you put it away for storage. So +1 on the bivy sack system...that way you get your waterproofing but when it's time to dry the bag after your trip you just take it out and hang it up. I know these bags are expensive and they're kind of fragile by nature so they need a lot of care.
--Rock Chalk Jayhawk--