Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Suggestions for Inclinometer

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Suggestions for Inclinometer

Postby randomboulder » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:20 am

My inclinometer broke during my travels from being stuffed in my ski bag. I was never real crazy about it anyway since the needle and numbers were tiny and hard to read, but it did what it needed to. I think it was made by LifeLink. Looking to replace it, but from searching the normal online sites (REI, Backcountry, Mgear), I was surprised to only found 1 or 2 other options. Any suggestions on what you have/like and where to pick one up? The digital one that attaches to the ski pole would be great, but not sure if I can justify that cost.

Re: Suggestions for Inclinometer

Postby GregMiller » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:28 am

I'm totally blanking on the make/model of mine, but I like my compass that has the inclinometer built into it. I like being able to sight directly up or down the slope, and it's something I'll already have on me, so it's not an additional thing to carry.

Postby highpilgrim » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:37 am

GregMiller wrote:I'm totally blanking on the make/model of mine, but I like my compass that has the inclinometer built into it. I like being able to sight directly up or down the slope, and it's something I'll already have on me, so it's not an additional thing to carry.

I've got a Brunton compass with an inclinometer as well as a number of other nice features. It's a little clunky, but has a rubber over case containing some essential field reference cards including navigational, topographical and survival information that store in the compass. The reference cards aren't necessary if you use the skills often enough to have learned them fully but they're helpful if your trips into the backcountry don't happen as often as you'd like.

It was about 80 bucks but has taken a beating over the years and I've had no problems with it. The new version of my old compass is this one:

http://www.rei.com/product/833991/brunton-oss-70m-compass
Last edited by highpilgrim on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby CO Native » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:47 am

I'm with Highpilgrim, a good compass will have one in it. Why carry extra gear?

As much as possible I try to make sure everything I carry serves at least two purposes.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:49 am

I share the opinions expressed above, and would like to add that the LifeLink Slope Meter is very handy for another purpose. I keep it at my desk for winter route research. The "Topo-Graf" on the back is good for determining slope angles off the map contour lines. This was originally intended for 7.5' USGS quadrangle maps, hard copies. With some experience I've learned that the 80-foot contour scale can be used with a USGS pdf map set at about 235% enlargement. I use a pair of 3x reading glasses with this method. It gives a very close approximation of the slope angle of the terrain in question.

I know there are online maps which show slope angles via shaded colors, but the above method has helped tune-up the ability to just look at a map and have a pretty good idea where the trouble spots are and even estimate slope angles without the aid of a device or shading. Snow surface and loading, of course, will not necessarily be at the same exact angles as terrain, but for preliminary route research, the above method has been quick and handy, so thought I'd post that comment if it may be of use to others.

I would add that I was surprised at how much this little plastic card costs to replace nowadays, though.

Let us know what you come up with.

Postby BenfromtheEast » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:33 am

I bet Nkan02 will chime in with her advice against the orange BCA inclinometer. It was the only one I found at REI when I went to get one. Apparently the curved (glass!) tube is prone to breaking, especially in cold temperatures. Sure enough, one of the guys in an avy class I took recently broke his.

Postby nkan02 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:56 am

BenfromtheEast wrote:I bet Nkan02 will chime in with her advice against the orange BCA inclinometer. It was the only one I found at REI when I went to get one. Apparently the curved (glass!) tube is prone to breaking, especially in cold temperatures. Sure enough, one of the guys in an avy class I took recently broke his.

Thanks Ben. Yup, I recently switched to another inclinometer and my only beef with it is that I can't attach it to the pack or belt. Has to carry it around, but I have some pockets to stuck it in. The glass is still there, but it is inset, well protected by the design.

In short, this one is NO (the glass breaks and you can get cut easily without even noticing it)
http://www.rei.com/product/807495/backcountry-access-slope-meter?preferredSku=8074950018&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-pla-_-product-_-8074950018&mr:referralID=9bde0683-7c4f-11e2-8751-001b2166c2c0

This one is YES
http://store.christysports.com/catalog/accessories/backcountry_gear_two/safety_gear/back_country_access_slope_meter?gclid=CNH-16L8x7UCFYpDMgod3lEAcw

p.s. Once I checked my pack, it turns out I actually have Brooks-Range one that Jeremy27 pointed out.
Last edited by nkan02 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby jeremy27 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:33 pm

Same thing (as near as I can tell) for a better price:
http://brooks-range.com/Slope-Meter.html

The one I have, for maybe a year now, has held up nicely.

Postby mtnfiend » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:41 pm

BenfromtheEast wrote:I bet Nkan02 will chime in with her advice against the orange BCA inclinometer. It was the only one I found at REI when I went to get one. Apparently the curved (glass!) tube is prone to breaking, especially in cold temperatures. Sure enough, one of the guys in an avy class I took recently broke his.

Interesting. I really like mine and it hasn't broke yet (perhaps that's cause it doesn't get much use). This style is easier to read than the credit card style, cause all you have to do is set it on your ski and look down. No bending over and sticking your head in the snow required!

I don't know this for a fact, but my sense says that BCA's "glass" tube material would be the same between styles.....
Didn't I ever tell you.....Bumble's bounce!!!

Postby ElFuegoDelaMuerte » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:51 pm

CO Native wrote:I'm with Highpilgrim, a good compass will have one in it. Why carry extra gear?

As much as possible I try to make sure everything I carry serves at least two purposes.

Here is what I use:

http://wildernessengineering.com/SlopeDope.html

This bad boy has so many uses, it has uses I don't even need. No belt loop though.

Postby dsunwall » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:14 pm

there is an app for that....... seriously. works fine and much easier to read, angle displays in nice big digits, no need to squint. why carry extra gear.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.plaincode.clinometer&hl=en

Postby TeamDino5280 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:23 pm

dsunwall wrote:there is an app for that....... seriously. works fine and much easier to read, angle displays in nice big digits, no need to squint. why carry extra gear.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.plaincode.clinometer&hl=en

No....
1.you are relying on batteries
2.you are relaying on random people for calibration
3. If your beacon is on your phone shouldn't be on

BCA's orange one is great and I have never had an issue with it freezing. If it does freeze(which i would love to see) it is still more reliable than a cell phone.

Compass with an inclinometer is the next best thing
"Real adventure is defined best as a journey from which you may not come back alive, and certainly not as the same person."
- Yvon Chouinard
"I try to play by the mountain’s rules instead of mine."
- Lou Dawson

Next