Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Truck Topper

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Truck Topper

Postby mtn_hikin » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:10 pm

Anyone ever use a soft truck bed topper and is so what did you think about it?

Re: Truck Topper

Postby glacierfox » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:25 pm

Are you talking about a tonneau cover? If so I've had a number of them in the past and currently. I currently have a roll-up version, that is by far my favorite, called the Access Lorado (similar to the Truxedo version). It uses a durable velcro system, I can roll/unroll it very quickly. The supports are integrated, so once you roll it up the bed is completely accessible and it has a low profile when unrolled.
Attachments
truckcover.jpg
truckcover.jpg (120.65 KiB) Viewed 556 times

Postby colorado yooper » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:12 pm

I put a Softtopper on my work truck yesterday. The shop in Boulder waived shipping and got it to me the next day. So far I love it. I only have one truck for many duties so the fact that it can fold down and back up in minutes is great. I saw another one that must have been 10 years old yesterday too and other than some fading (hard not to at 9,000 ft) it looked fine. It was $629 for a S10 with a 6' bed.

CY
To the High Crags!

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:18 pm

I want a softtopper so bad!!

Those are things are awesome. Anyone have a 6' bed on a toyota Tacoma and wants to sell theres, Im your man!
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby beerhiker » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:13 pm

I had a Softopper on my Tacoma for a couple years, great product, super versatile. I did end up selling it and got a regular Leer topper which I like better, Softopper has no security, and sometimes I thought the thing was going to come off the truck at highway speeds and high winds but it never did. Softopper is easy to take off and back on when you need it. Highly recommend if it fits your needs.

Postby aaronmojica » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:21 am

I have no experience with a soft-top, but have had a hard top on my Tacoma for years. It is the BEST!! I haven't even gotten fancy yet and made a sleep platform, just lay down some plywood scraps and my therma-rest among the gear and sleep anywhere. In the winter I substitute rigid foam-board insulation for the plywood. The hard top comes off easy enough when necessary.
FireontheMountain, make me an offer! 2000 TRD (the good generation).

Postby jeremy27 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:55 am

FWIW. I got a used hard-topper from Suburban Toppers in Denver for about what a soft-topper would cost new. Took a couple weeks as I recall but I wasnt in a hurry. I've had to remove it exactly twice for big loads and it was pretty easy to take off (edit: with help from my wife).

Postby glacierfox » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:36 am

I didn't realize soft-topper was a brand name... feel free to ignore the tonneau cover information and simply enjoy the pic of my buddy relieving himself.

Soft-toppers look sweet though. Perhaps if I paired that with with one of these http://www.truckairbedz.com/, I could finally convince my wife to camp with me.

Postby herdbull » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:44 pm

This is my home away from home when I hit the road now. No need to mess with a tent. Yes, that is a nuker :-D I know how o rough with the best of 'em. I have a small Honda Gen that goes with me as well and I eat like a king even when I'm out in the middle of nowhere.

I would highly consider a hard truck cap for doing stuff like this. I am in the process of making outside window covers that will allow the sliders to be fully open during a rainstorm but not let any water in.
Attachments
Co Sept. 2012_004 small.jpg
Co Sept. 2012_004 small.jpg (259.16 KiB) Viewed 254 times

Postby yedi » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:18 pm

I've heard good things about SoftToppers. Here's a review on ExpeditionPortal.com for one. BesTop also makes the Supertop, which is similar. You might also look at a Can-Back (not sure if they've ramped back up on production yet, but they should have.) I think the primary difference between the Can-Back and the others is the supports. The Can-Back has a stronger, more permanent support system that you can actually load things on.

FWIW, I have an ARE CX on my Tacoma. I run a Maggiolina AirTop on it. Spent three months living out of it this summer. Best summer ever.

Open:
Salmon River.jpg
Salmon River.jpg (80.35 KiB) Viewed 235 times

Closed:
Mt. Washington.jpg
Mt. Washington.jpg (30.68 KiB) Viewed 235 times