Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Skinning and blisters

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Skinning and blisters

Postby scott551 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:00 pm

Hey i got a nice popped blister on the inside of my right foot heel from skinning last week. I am planning on heading out tomorrow but the blister still hurts. I was wondering what people do to make it less painful like how you wrap it up neosporin stuff like that

Thanks

Re: Skinning and blisters

Postby BenfromtheEast » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:02 pm

Duct tape! Maybe a band-aide and then duct tape.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:13 pm

Skin more. :-D

And it helps to make your boots snug enough to keep your foot from sliding up and down as you walk.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby lordhelmut » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:56 pm

Take the pain!

Postby RoanMtnMan » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:16 pm

Your boots sound too big. It's probably too late to do anything about that so try tightening them down, throwing in an extra foot bed, or wearing thicker socks to take up some of the volume. Your foot shouldn't move in a well fit boot.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:17 pm

Prevention is best. Since you already have a blister, it's going to be more troublesome.

Like Ben said, duct tape. Really do it up right. Cover the blistered area with something first - a bandade, or some antibiotic ointment and gauze, or hydration gel pad (see below) - just enough to cover it.

Also use two pairs of socks. Like Caleb and Bill said, your boots are probably too loose - besides taking up some room, the double socks will allow some of the friction to occur between the sock layers, which helps.

With the double socks and adequate taping, you should get by.

There's also some hydration gel pad stuff out there. Look in the foot care section. You cut a section of this to fit the blister, peel off the back, and apply it directly to the blister. Then tape over that. A friend actually healed some blisters while continuing his hut trip this way, so it is possible.

Good luck.

Postby globreal » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:47 pm

scott551 wrote:Hey i got a nice popped blister on the inside of my right foot heel from skinning last week. I am planning on heading out tomorrow but the blister still hurts. I was wondering what people do to make it less painful like how you wrap it up neosporin stuff like that

Thanks

I learned about this the hard way. I wanted to try skinning/skiing a long approach to a 14er. Last March was the chance on the 8 mile road up to Mt. of the Holy Cross. So I borrowed a friends AT setup. OMG...his boots about killed me! Within one mile I had a major hot spot!

A guy on the trip turned me on to:

Tincture of Benzoin--
http://www.claflinequip.com/pdi-4-benzo ... 5759#65759

Leukotape--

http://www.amazon.com/Leukotape-Sportstape-1-5-Inches-Yards/dp/B000H94TAQ

Clean/rub the area with the swab and then apply the tape. Wow! That tape doesn't come off for nothing! (Duct tape can.)

While it didn't totally remove all the pain that was already worn into place, this treatment allowed me to successfully complete the climb and get back down.

I carry this combo on all trips now. If a hot spot starts....treat and tape and I'm back in business!
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Postby globreal » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:53 pm

scott551 wrote:Hey i got a nice popped blister on the inside of my right foot heel from skinning last week. I am planning on heading out tomorrow but the blister still hurts. I was wondering what people do to make it less painful like how you wrap it up neosporin stuff like that

Thanks

One more thing...Dances mentioned prevention. How to prevent a blister?

I learned this from a podiatrist...

Change your socks mid-climb! If your feet are getting sweaty, the skin gets soft. (Think of a long tub/bath or too much time in the swimming pool and you get wrinkly.)

On many a peak summit, I'll change out my socks before heading back on that long downhill back to the car. You'll be amazed at the difference changing out socks can make.
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Postby Vids » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:55 pm

I had to try a lot of things this summer to break in a pair of Kenetrek boots, they are extremely stiff and gave me heel blisters for months. Here is what I found:

Prevention:
Spenco 2nd skin adhesive knit pads - similar to moleskin but actually stays on
Moleskin - junk, slipped off as soon as feet started sweating
Everything worked better when I put duct or athletic tape over the top to keep it in place

Treatment:
Dr. Scholl's Blister Pads - worked great, I could hike with open blisters and feel no pain when these were on

Postby mrburns » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:33 pm

Neosporin on the blister, band aid or bandage over that, then duct tape. Make sure the tape is smooth, without a bunch of creases, etc. Bring extra tape and band aids, as it can get rubbed off, or get gross from sweat and need to be changed. Also ibuprofin/aleve helps too. As someone who has had some hellacious blisters in the past, I have found that when you have a big blister, getting your boots on, and the first few steps hurt like hell, then it kinda goes numb and you don't really notice it that much.

Also, as mentioned before, I find that your boots should be nearly as tight for skinning as they are for the downhill, any looser than that and the blisters will be a problem. YMMV.

You might also try experimenting with your socks, when I used to fit ski boots we used the saying "a millimeter is the same as mile" when it comes to the proper fit of a ski boot. I usually skin in the same really thin socks that I use for downnhill skiing, maybe it is less sweating, or just a better fit, not sure, but I see a huge difference between a light weight and/or a medium or heavy sock.
"They've got the internet on computers now?" - H. Simpson

Postby rocky » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:15 pm

A big +1 for the Spenco Adhesive Knit as a preventative.

This product won't cure a new blister, but can prevent them from the outset. If you have known "hot-spots", tape them with Adhesive Knit before venturing out. If you develop a hot spot while skinning/hiking - STOP immediately and care for it. Use an alcohol rub to clean the skin, let dry completely and apply the tape.

A great product - tried and true! It will stay on for several days. After removing tape, get rid of any lingering adhesive by using rubbing alcohol.

http://www.spenco.com/products/healthcare/spenco-medical-second-skin/2nd-skin-adhesive-knit

Adhesive knit can be easily cut with the scissors on a tiny swiss-army-knife. Be generous with the size - exceed the size of the hot spot by a fair bit.
rocky
south fork, colorado