Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

good starter price for value sleeping bag

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

good starter price for value sleeping bag

Postby sheller » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:45 am

My son is about to go into boy scouts and I'm looking for a good starter sleeping bag without breaking the bank. I've narrowed it down to 2 choices- Kelty Cosmic down 20 and the Mountain Hardwear ultralamina 15. I own a cosmic down and am pretty happy with it, but have never owned the ultralamina. Any suggestions or other bags I should consider? My biggest focus is a bag that will keep him warm, which both of these will and I need it to be lightweight and compressible. I also don't want one that will fall apart or will have issues with the zipper.

Re: good starter price for value sleeping bag

Postby CO Native » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:48 pm

I'd recommend the Ultralamina for your son. It won't compress as much as the Cosmic, but the synthetic insulation will stand up better against a young user that won't care for it as well.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby GregMiller » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:37 pm

CO Native wrote:I'd recommend the Ultralamina for your son. It won't compress as much as the Cosmic, but the synthetic insulation will stand up better against a young user that won't care for it as well.

Agreed. Plus, remembering back on my scouting career, there were a number of opportunities to get sleeping bags soaking wet, and a synthetic bag will at least still provide some insulation.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby MuchosPixels » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:42 pm

I agree. I would look for a durable bag. Yeah, that means you have to rule out the 2 lb, 15deg. ultra compressible down bags that compress down to 5-6L. The synthetic bags will take twice the space and weight about a pound more but be just about worry free. There are many options out there.