Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sleeping Bags...... Uhhgg

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Sleeping Bags...... Uhhgg

Postby cory1223oh » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:04 am

I jumped on that Marmot Couloir deal on Backcountry last week. While I haven't gotten a chance to use it yet, it seems like an awesome bag for the money. It has a ton of loft and is super light. Of course I had to get in it, and I can definitely say that you won't last more than a minute or 2 in this bag inside a 70 degree house before getting uncomfortably hot. Hopefully this translates into warm and toasty bag on a cold winter night outside.

On another note, I also picked up the Marmot Arroyo (30* 800-fill down). So I should be set for year-round camping/backpacking. It's on sale for $179 on Altrec.com and Backcountry matched their price.

I also got one left and one right zip and my plan is to zip them together and let my wife use the Couloir while car camping in the summer as she is a very cold sleeper.

Can't wait to get a chance to try these bags out.

Postby spiderman » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:44 am

Johnson wrote:Wow. I was seriously considering the Hahn's Peak. That is discouraging news. You don't work for Western Mountaineering? Do you? ; )

I wish I did work for a company that had quality products like Western Mountaineering. How do they make products that are so much better designed than any of the other brands out there? When I started backpacking (back in the stone age), I used to carry 50-65 lb for a week long expedition. With more modern gear, it is easy to have a pack at half that weight. A 1 lb sleeping bag... truly ridiculous! I can hike 50% further now, and have energy at the end of the day. Technology is such a blessing to non-athletic nerds who want to enjoy the outdoors.

Postby nkan02 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:00 pm

Another vote for Mountain Hardware Phantom 0 bag. Seems very well made and plenty warm. Very happy with it. It is actually too warm if it is any higher than 0 degrees.

Postby climbingaggie03 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:40 pm

Thought I'd share this post from mp.com maybe it fits the bill for you. http://www.mountainproject.com/v/0-degree-sierra-designs-ridge-runner-down-sleeping-bag/107995188

Postby herdbull » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:21 pm

Thanks for the help everyone. Between user input and web research I ordered a MH Phantom 0. I couldn't turn down $300 clams shipped to my door :-D .

Postby Johnson » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:39 pm

herdbull wrote:Thanks for the help everyone. Between user input and web research I ordered a MH Phantom 0. I couldn't turn down $300 clams shipped to my door :-D .

Let us know how it works out.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby TallGrass » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:02 pm

FYI, Sierra Designs Ridge Runner 0 Sleeping Bag came up on SAC for $150 an hour or so ago so it might get re-listed today or tomorrow.
You can search http://www.sacalerts.com/history.php and then add an alert to get a SMS/email if comes back up.

P.S. MH Phantom 32 w/ a small Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite (rest legs on pack or gear) and silk liner.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby herdbull » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:28 pm

Johnson wrote:
herdbull wrote:Thanks for the help everyone. Between user input and web research I ordered a MH Phantom 0. I couldn't turn down $300 clams shipped to my door :-D .

Will do. I'm planning on just sleeping out on the deck next weekend pending any precip. Suppose to be single digits lows so it will be perfect.

Postby MuchosPixels » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:16 pm

herdbull wrote:
Johnson wrote:

Will do. I'm planning on just sleeping out on the deck next weekend pending any precip. Suppose to be single digits lows so it will be perfect.

Good choice. And, if you are gonna sleep inside a tent that bag should work for even extremely cold weather. I think people use 0F bags on the higher camps on Everest...they just sleep with their down clothing on.

Postby Mike8000m » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:07 pm

I bought a Marmot Never Summer zero degree down bag. Used it about 2 weeks ago up on Grey's peak got down to about 5 degrees I was plenty warm. With some layers I wouldn't be afraid to go below zero.

Postby herdbull » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:23 am

Thanks to everyone for the heads up on the MH Phantom 0. First test last night sleeping out on the deck and this thing is a heat machine. I woke up to around 3 degrees and I was toasty warm with no real cold spots in the bag.

I decided to sleep without a base layer on to really see what the bag alone would do. I think with a silk layer or light base layer I'm good to -10. First night on the BAIC pad too but that didn't pass so well. I'm not a big fan of the size as the bag overhangs it and the big baffles are kind of uncomfortable.

My pillow arrangement could use some work too. What do you guys use for a pillow/pillow system? Initial test is 2 thumbs up for a $300 bag that I think I could survive in -10ish temps :-D

Postby d_baker » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:39 am

herdbull wrote:My pillow arrangement could use some work too. What do you guys use for a pillow/pillow system?

In winter or winter-like conditions when I have my big puffy (i.e., down jacket), I use that for a pillow. Just fold & roll the jacket up into its hood and it makes the perfect pillow. Plus, it's in the bag with me to put on in the morning when I get up.
For the warmer periods of the year (e.g., late spring -> summer -> early fall) I usually don't have the big puffy. Therefore I roll up other jackets and use those for pillows. For the last several years, that arrangement has been a Mountain Hardware Transition Jacket w/hood and my Mont Bell Ultra-Syn jacket.

These arrangements were used in CO, not elsewhere.

PreviousNext