Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Official Gear Storage Thread

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Official Gear Storage Thread

Postby Jesse M » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:42 am

I like to use a shelve system or cubbys.

Ropes, Tents, Climbing Gear, Books, stuff I use a lot on the top shelf.
Stuff sacks, ropes-non climbing, webbing, tie downs, first aid, survival, cooking supplies in the cubbys, maps and headlamps on top of cubby.
My puppy on the spare bed.

Sleeping Bags in their large stuff sacks and packs up against the wall and hanging on the door.

Sorry for the bad quality pics, my only digital camera is my old Iphone.

Postby wildone » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:23 pm

Here's what I've done with a 5'x7'x6' closet. I actually only have 3 walls to work with, so in otherwords, it is not square like a typical room but 'triangular', with each wall measuring about what I listed.
Here are my pics:
IMG_1457.JPG
Top shelf is sleeping bags, pads, tents and bivy sacks.
IMG_1457.JPG (98.63 KiB) Viewed 1064 times

IMG_1458.JPG
Underneath the top shelf on the far left is clothes; jackets, shells, and puffys hang. Base, mid, etc. are in the drawers.
IMG_1458.JPG (29.18 KiB) Viewed 1051 times

IMG_1464.JPG
The cabinet in the middle is for filters, Nalgenes, stoves, headlamps, maps, radios, sunglasses, organization (ditty sacks, etc.) and misc.
IMG_1464.JPG (27.98 KiB) Viewed 1051 times

To the right (pictured in the next post) is a five-shelf unit for shoes, with socks, gaiters and booties in drawers on top.
Last edited by wildone on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Postby wildone » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:06 pm

The wall to the right has shelves with drawers for gloves, hats, other misc. clothing items. Above the shelves hang packs.
IMG_1462.JPG
IMG_1462.JPG (49.15 KiB) Viewed 1024 times

The wall to the left has all my technical gear-harnesses, helmets, biners/etc. rope, picket, ice axes, crampons, shovel, snowshoes, etc.
IMG_1463.JPG
IMG_1463.JPG (51.64 KiB) Viewed 1024 times

Per the previous post, here's the shelf for shoes, with socks, gatiers, and booties on top in drawers.
IMG_1460.JPG
IMG_1460.JPG (154.58 KiB) Viewed 1024 times

Postby wildone » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:23 pm

Last post for tonight, I promise :)
Is it bad when your gear takes over a second closet?
IMG_1465.JPG
IMG_1465.JPG (40.48 KiB) Viewed 1004 times

When do you know if you need an intervention!! #-o

Postby Doug Shaw » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:46 pm

wildone wrote:When do you know if you need an intervention!! #-o

Ask Imelda Marcos.

Postby MountainMedic » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:33 pm

All I can say is that my new house had better have a man cave.

Postby SingleSpeed » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:27 am

I am suffering from gear envy now. I keep telling my wife that there is nothing wrong with having 5 packs and 6 sleeping bags. You all are making me look normal to her. Thanks! Maybe now she'll let me buy that next tent. I keep telling her that if we ever lose our house we can move into a much larger tent city without having to go out and buy anything.

Postby lordhelmut » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:39 pm

wildone wrote:Here's what I've done with a 5'x7'x6' closet. I actually only have 3 walls to work with, so in otherwords, it is not square like a typical room but 'triangular', with each wall measuring about what I listed.
Here are my pics:
IMG_1457.JPG

IMG_1458.JPG

IMG_1464.JPG

To the right (pictured in the next post) is a five-shelf unit for shoes, with socks, gaiters and booties in drawers on top.

This is giving Roan a run for his money......

Postby wildlobo71 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:45 pm

MountainMedic wrote:All I can say is that my new house had better have a man cave.

I know a good architect...
Only SUN will melt the sadness.

Postby RoanMtnMan » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:24 pm

SingleSpeed wrote:I am suffering from gear envy now. I keep telling my wife that there is nothing wrong with having 5 packs and 6 sleeping bags. You all are making me look normal to her. Thanks! Maybe now she'll let me buy that next tent. I keep telling her that if we ever lose our house we can move into a much larger tent city without having to go out and buy anything.

If your wife is also an outdoor enthusiast I think 5 packs and 6 sleeping bags is low. If she isn't then you may need gear rehab. The problem with having a spouse that enjoys the outdoors as well, is that every purchase costs you twice as much. Frequently heard at my house "get me one too."
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby RoanMtnMan » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:28 pm

wildone wrote:Here's what I've done with a 5'x7'x6' closet. I actually only have 3 walls to work with, so in otherwords, it is not square like a typical room but 'triangular', with each wall measuring about what I listed.
Here are my pics:

That is impressive. Good use of space. I like that plastic closet thing. Where did you get that?
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby wildone » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:19 am

I guess one good thing about a smaller space, it can force you to be more organized. You just have to get a little creative :)

Roan-
The closet came from Target; I actually got the 4-drawer 'chest', closet and shelf unit all at Target.

The other cool thing that helped me organize is the Rubbermaid fasttrack (that's what I have all my technical gear on), I got that at Home Depot. You mount the bracket and then can attach all different hooks, baskets, etc. onto it without having to use hardware (you just need hardware for mounting the bracket).

PreviousNext