Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Official Gear Storage Thread

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Official Gear Storage Thread

Postby midwestcoast » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:49 pm

any of you care to share your addresses ? :-D

Postby jbchalk » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:53 pm

Holy mary mother of god, Caleb! Having not been to your house, yet, I have not seen your new gear pad. But, damn, dude, lookin' good. Your 6 star Hyatt gear pad makes ours look like the Super 8 motel. Nice work, buddy.

Postby bergsteigen » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:58 pm

RoanMtnMan wrote: and yes that is a working mechanical bull in the garage.

:shock: :shock: :?:

RoanMtnMan wrote:Image

That's a LOT of skis :mrgreen:
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby RoanMtnMan » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:11 pm

bergsteigen wrote:
That's a LOT of skis :mrgreen:

I do get a little too attached to my skis. There are a few pairs in there that are 20 years old. I do need to get rid of most of them, but I have a vision of a project that will turn a lot of those into home decor. Or at least that is what I tell my spouse so I can keep them around :-D. (I know she will likely see this post and that will make a rough day for the trash guy next week.)
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby RoanMtnMan » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:25 pm

jbchalk wrote:Holy mary mother of god, Caleb! Having not been to your house, yet, I have not seen your new gear pad. But, damn, dude, lookin' good. Your 6 star Hyatt gear pad makes ours look like the Super 8 motel. Nice work, buddy.

Buddy, we all know, it ain't the gear, it's about bagging! Definitely nice to have the gear organized. The worst part of the day is always packing and unpacking for me. You need to turn that extra bedroom you have into a gear room. You can do the engineering and I can consult!
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

Postby DaveLanders » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:21 pm

I've noticed that several of these photos have ropes hanging out in the open. Maybe it's just
paranoia on my part, but I keep my ropes in closed duffel bags to minimize UV exposure.
Anyone else have comments about this?

Postby jbchalk » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:39 pm

RoanMtnMan wrote:
jbchalk wrote:Holy mary mother of god, Caleb! Having not been to your house, yet, I have not seen your new gear pad. But, damn, dude, lookin' good. Your 6 star Hyatt gear pad makes ours look like the Super 8 motel. Nice work, buddy.

Buddy, we all know, it ain't the gear, it's about bagging! Definitely nice to have the gear organized. The worst part of the day is always packing and unpacking for me. You need to turn that extra bedroom you have into a gear room. You can do the engineering and I can consult!

Done, buddy!

Postby RoanMtnMan » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:41 pm

DaveLanders wrote:I've noticed that several of these photos have ropes hanging out in the open. Maybe it's just
paranoia on my part, but I keep my ropes in closed duffel bags to minimize UV exposure.

It's definitely a good idea. The UV kills ropes. The only reason I started hanging mine was that I put blinds on the one window that shuts out most of the light, when I shut the door it is too dark to read a book at noon. I used to store them in plastic bins. But when they are soaking wet it sure is convenient to hang dry them.

In the spirit of the thread, I offer this photo as a "how not to keep a gear storage area organized".

Postby bonehead » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:57 pm

SilverLynx wrote:some I've never washed because I'm afraid to.

I'm with you on that.

I have always pitched my tents upside down
from the ceiling for storage.
Strange but very effective.
Let what you love breathe freely.
Sleeping bags too!!

Postby aliciaf » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:50 pm

Here's mine and jmc5040's gear storage. There are a few random things stored elsewhere (under beds, in our closet, etc.).
photo (2).JPG
photo (2).JPG (122.83 KiB) Viewed 407 times

Postby Brian Thomas » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:52 pm

WARNING: admitted BC ski newbness

RoanMtnMan wrote:Image

HA! I have that same pair of orange Volkl's with the skin loops, my first hand-me-down pair for a BC setup. When I took them to Bent Gate to put some Dynafit A/T bindings on them, they asked me if I stole those skis from a museum #-o

Yeah, I'm broke. My gear is ghetto ](*,)
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby lordhelmut » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:18 pm

I've noticed that several of these photos have ropes hanging out in the open. Maybe it's just

Mine are in a windowless garage so I'm good as well

PreviousNext