Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Practice makes perfect...er

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Practice makes perfect...er

Postby EZSide » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:38 pm

This fall, after camping at least once June through October, I decided that a fun goal might be to camp at least once each month for the rest of my life - :? ? :lol: ? - time will tell...

I understood that this would only be possible if I accepted backyard “camps” as worthy on occasion. November was a real hunting camp, December was a backyard camp (conditions mid-20’s with moderate snow). I had hoped January would be an extended winter camp in central WI, but as the month drew to a close available time simply was not in the cards. So another backyard camp.

Conditions: from 18 deg. F to -4 deg. F with winds mild to breezy and cloudy / snow to clear.

It was fun to test gear without risk and staying comfortable, relatively speaking, while fitting it into my schedule. After sleeping out, a walk, and breakfast spread over three days – here are little things I learned (besides the stuff which worked well):

- Pack tent with poles / anchors separate. Pack any additional tarp / ground cloth separate.
- Practice with tent by using anchors sequentially to manage windy conditions. More screw anchors needed.
- Fix tent pole ends into poles to prevent them from pulling out.
- Stretch inner boots for better fit.
- Consider full length sleeping pad.
- Position inner / outer bag based on temperature.
- Take care when lacing boots to avoid pulling laces out.
- Rig nose pieces for goggles or find facemasks with nose protection which work with goggles.
- Find different small parts bags for stove parts.
- Salvaged sled should work - rig for pack sled.

It’s just something I’m doing to help me enjoy my outings and assure I have outings to enjoy.

Bill
"There are times when the most complicated actions are suddenly summed up, distilled, and strike you with illuminating clarity" - Maurice Herzog

Re: Practice makes perfect...er

Postby pvnisher » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:54 am

Sounds like you're learning a lot of tricks and dialing in gear without having to "learn the hard way".
Kudos.

Postby EZSide » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:54 pm

Thanks. That’s the point. I was almost lazy and said the heck with it. But it’s sort of a fun goal (years from now what WILL the staff of Wrinkle Haven say when I strap my tent and sleeping bag to my walker and head for the patio…) and there are a myriad of ways to become proficient at something. That proficiency means you’ll have more fun and you might even avoid problems which could be more serious.

I know it’s not the same, but it’s still worthwhile.

Thought it worth a mention with the cold setting in across the US. Good opportunity for out-of-the ordinary conditions. Much can be learned – it’s worth the effort - and it can be fun if you let it be fun.

BTW I am thrilled with my Eureka Kaycee mummy bag - didn't think I could sleep in a mummy bag - but I've slept well in it every time.

So I also build confidence in my gear.

Bill
"There are times when the most complicated actions are suddenly summed up, distilled, and strike you with illuminating clarity" - Maurice Herzog

Postby mike_kadow » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:19 pm

EZSide wrote:Thanks. That’s the point.

Bill

Ha! From someone raised and lived 30 years in WI, I can appreciate this. I always wanted to do the same and still want to here in CO.

If you're ever interested in camping in igloos let me know. I've picked up the bug and find it much more appealing than tents as a base camp.

-Mike

Postby EZSide » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:14 pm

mike_kadow wrote:

If you're ever interested in camping in igloos let me know. I've picked up the bug and find it much more appealing than tents as a base camp.

-Mike

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. We've built a few ourselves - just for fun. And a new sleeping pad will be with the thought of serving as a snow pad.

Igloo05.jpg
Igloo05.jpg (24.3 KiB) Viewed 169 times

Bill