Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Trailhead Egress

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Trailhead Egress

Postby viejo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:49 am

The trailhead conditions report on Gray's/Torrey's as of last Saturday shows the road blocked by a pretty sizable tree.

That tree hadn't been there when I left the winter trailhead on foot early that Saturday morning.

So the PSA thought for the day...Especially considering the propensity of beetle kill, consider carrying some extra tools in your vehicle to dig/cut/winch your way past obstacles that might block the road after you've made your way up. I'm sure many of you already are prepared for this, but I'm guessing there's some who haven't considered this.

Re: Trailhead Egress

Postby Jay521 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:35 am

I have always carried a saw, a couple shovels, a couple tow ropes and an emergency battery designed for jump starts. Haven't needed the saw (yet...) but have had to use all the others at one time or another. Always a good idea to have that stuff any time of the year but even more important in the winter when you might be the only one on the road and/or the last one down. It's also a pretty good idea to have a fairly full tank of gas before getting too far off the beaten path.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down

Postby planet54 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:33 am

I have needed a tow strap a couple of times for downed trees.Actually ,I was lucky that I didn't need a saw. One thing that I've come across is that late model cars don't have good places to connect a strap or chain. Several have an eyebolt that you screw in, but often the hooks don't fit it.I would recommend buying a clevis or shackle to keep in your car since it will give you many more options to hook up a strap or chain. In a real pinch I"ve seen carabiners used but make sure you never ever use them for climbing again. Yes, be prepared.
220px-Moused_shackle.gif
220px-Moused_shackle.gif (15.69 KiB) Viewed 368 times
"The world is a great book,of which they that never stir from home read only a page." St. Augustine
"Climbing K2 or floating the Grand Canyon in an innertube;there are some things one would rather have done than do." Edward Abbey

Postby glacierfox » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:57 pm

Planet - I've actually been looking for a 5ton+ shackle, any suggestions where to look?

I also carry a tow strap, cable pull, shovel etc whenever I head to a trail head. Even had the opportunity to use em at the Quandary event last Saturday.

photo.JPG
photo.JPG (122.6 KiB) Viewed 210 times

Postby Kiefer » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:19 pm

Yah. I carry a shovel. I also have an old climbing rope I had to cut during a climb. I fishermaned the two pieces together and use it
as a tow rope now.
Years ago, Tracy and I were climbing Grizzly. As we were walking down the road, we heard this loud crash. We had no idea what it was. We got back to her ride and drove away only to find a tree had fallen across the road further down the road!
We piled rock and snow up on our side of it and jumped it. Freakin fun as sh*t!
But now, yeah, I carry stuff in the Jeep.
Would like to get a winch, but don't have the funds for one yet.
Drink Guinness!!