Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Gear list used for Mt. Sherman tomorrow

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds
Site Administrator

Re: Gear list used for Mt. Sherman tomorrow

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:52 pm

Any photos of the south side of Sherman or just the general area? Might be up there tomorrow

Postby benners » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:36 pm

Bill, there's nothing on the south side worth taking skis up there for if that's what you're getting at. Much of the standard ski route is bone dry, as is most of the surrounding area.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:56 am

Thanks, Ben.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby ThuChad » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:48 am

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Any photos of the south side of Sherman or just the general area? Might be up there tomorrow

No snow. From Friday.

I'm just pretending to be a poseur.

“I stand here on the summit of the mountain. I lift my head and I spread my arms. This, my body and spirit, this is the end of the quest. I wished to know the meaning of all things. I am the meaning. I wished to find a warrant for being. I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction. Neither am I the means to any end others may wish to accomplish. I am not a tool for their use. I am not a servant of their needs. I am not a sacrifice on their altars.” |Ayn Rand - Anthem

Postby mtree » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:57 am

I concur about snow conditions. I was up there on Saturday. Not much snow. Certainly not enough for skiiing. Even the east wall had only 1.5-2 feet of fairly consolidated snow. Outside of snow boots, no special gear needed for the standard approach. Trekking poles were helpful, but you could just toe-kick your way up to the ridge. It was a gorgeous bluebird day! Cold and a little windy, but perfect for January.

I would not attempt driving past Leavick without a solid 4WD/AWD vehicle with good tires. The 'narrows' portion of the road is half filled with nearly a foot of snow including some deep ruts. After that, it's easy going to the ice flow.
"Cool Prius!" - nobody

Previous