Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Physical prep for winter ascents for old fogeys

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Physical prep for winter ascents for old fogeys

Postby Bean » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:54 pm

Dave B wrote:I'm surprised a Crossfit trainer would promote Crossfit as an ideal training regimen for running a marathon. I always heard the benefit of Crossfit was it's non-specialization but this is often seen as it's downfall for athletes looking for a sport specific training.

Crossfit cultists argue that it's the ultimate training regimen for anything and everything under the sum.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby 12ersRule » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:32 pm

Bean wrote:
Dave B wrote:I'm surprised a Crossfit trainer would promote Crossfit as an ideal training regimen for running a marathon. I always heard the benefit of Crossfit was it's non-specialization but this is often seen as it's downfall for athletes looking for a sport specific training.

Crossfit cultists argue that it's the ultimate training regimen for anything and everything under the sum.

Rumor has it that this lady who just shattered the half marathon record in the 75-79 age group (http://www.runnersworld.com/general-interest/records-set-walt-disney-world-marathon-weekend) was huge into Crossfit. That's good for me.

Postby cheeseburglar » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:19 pm

To get back on topic, in my opinion the best thing you could do to prepare is to take a 30 minute cold shower with gloves on. Practice doing simple tasks while in the cold shower. Like putting moleskin on blisters, changing batteries in a headlamp, checking your gps, activating your spot, ...
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

Postby DaveSwink » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:35 am

pills2619 wrote:AAA hockey through the age of 18 then 2 years of Junior A hockey. I would consider that competitive or elite however you want to put it.

Ah, thanks. I thought perhaps elite had special context within Crossfit (ie noob, elite, double-alpha-guru, etc).

pills2619 wrote:Did your friend use CrossFit or CrossFit Endurance?

Dunno but I will ask. I would think that a critical point is going to be whether any training for a two hour effort (half marathon) can be effective if the cardio workout is less than an hour. I tried to understand the Crossfit Endurance (run specific) WOD for today online, and it looks like a brief session of standard Crossfit calisthenics followed by a 10K run. That sounds pretty effective to me.

I got a lost trying to interpret some of the other WODs for the rest of the week. Some are termed "Short Interval" and call for a 400m run but I cannot see any repetitions or recovery times defined. There has to be more intervals called for, but I don't see it.

Postby pills2619 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:50 am

Is the topic not training? And bean your acting just as boneheaded as the CrossFit trainers you encountered. The point is to encourage a workout routine that will be fun and addicting, so that you can actually accomplish your goals.

CrossFit/CrossFit Endurance... the best workout routine you can find anywhere for free without needing specialized training or a coach. Not perfect for everything but if you want to feel better than you ever have and be in shape for whatever is thrown at you and do it while spending less than an hour in the gym, I would suggest you try CrossFit or CrossFit endurance. Also standing in the shower is not going to do anything, mentally prepared comes from one thing, experience so get out and just freeze your ass off in the back country.

Wink, yeah the CrossFit Endurance and the CrossFit Football websites can be a little funky with the formatting of the workouts. Might try opening it in a different browser. Usually its a rest period of between 30seconds and 2 min at max I would say for a 400m sprint.
They forget that some crisis is necessary to hone skill. "Near misses," those brief encounters with the reality of mortality, are great learning tools if properly approached. -Denali Climbers Guidebook

Postby DaveSwink » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:28 pm

pills2619 wrote:Also standing in the shower is not going to do anything, mentally prepared comes from one thing, experience so get out and just freeze your ass off in the back country.

Cheesie overstates ideas just for fun occasionally, but there is a lot of value in practicing some activities with gloves on. You should be able to do all of these in under two minutes (to avoid chilling and to avoid irritated, chilled partners):
*open your pack, get a drink & small snack, close pack
*remove trekking poles from pack & adjust for use
*mount microspikes
*put on snowshoes
*layer up (shell/mask/goggles)
*consult gps (and/or route beta)

Dunno if I would actually practice with the snowshoes in the shower though.

Postby TomPierce » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:35 pm

Found it. There's a pretty lengthy (8 pages, incl. the cover pages) article in the January 2013 edition of Outside Magazine that examines Crossfit Endurance. I thought it was a pretty good review, not a glowing puff piece, but also not a hatchet job. If anyone is thinking of trying the program I think the article would be interesting.
-Tom

Previous