Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

myweather.com

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

myweather.com

Postby DArcyS » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:23 pm

For those who rely (or seemingly relied) upon the futurecast feature on Channel 7's website (which gave hour-by-hour radar and wind speeds for up to about 48 hours), that features seems to have disappeared recently. I found the feature on myweather.com.

If you don't use this feature, you should. It's reasonably decent -- but not perfect -- for precipitation and will give you a very good idea about the expected winds for the day.

Re: myweather.com

Postby DaveSwink » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:54 pm

inthemtns wrote:If you don't use this feature, you should. It's reasonably decent -- but not perfect -- for precipitation and will give you a very good idea about the expected winds for the day.

Have you used the NOAA Hour by Hour Graph function in the Weather by 14er section of 14ers.com? How does it compare?

Postby DArcyS » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:15 am

dswink wrote:
inthemtns wrote:If you don't use this feature, you should. It's reasonably decent -- but not perfect -- for precipitation and will give you a very good idea about the expected winds for the day.

Have you used the NOAA Hour by Hour Graph function in the Weather by 14er section of 14ers.com? How does it compare?

I'm not certain I found the graphs that you're using, but I'd say the NOAA graphs represent the weather for one point. The futurecast loops show information for an entire region or area, thus you can assess the overall strength and probability of the precipitation. If the area of precipitation is small, there's a good shot it won't occur or will be very light. If the area of precipitation is large with darker areas of green (for rain) or blue (for snow), then you know you have a stronger system.

Postby RoanMtnMan » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:01 pm

Don't all professional weather forecasters have access to the same radar and models? So it comes down to how they interpret them and then how it is presented to the public? OpenSnow.com and NOAA give me everything I need. NOAA gives me a quick high level for an area as well as access to the radar map. OpenSnow gives me more specifics for an area. I like OpenSnow because it is actually forecasted by someone that spends more time in the mountains than a downtown building.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:19 pm

NOAA also has a statewide map thingy here, that lets you see things at 6-hour increments. But I also prefer the hour-by-hour graphs from the weather.gov point forecasts (from the forecast.weather.gov page, look for "hourly weather graphs" in the lower right). Different people like their information presented in different ways, I guess.

Studies have shown that the for-profit weather forecasters (like Weather Channel and local forecasters) tend to over-predict precipitation, since the average guy is happy when the forecast predicts rain or snow and then it doesn't. I would guess skiers are the exact opposite, at least in the winter. :)
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright