Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Down Coat

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Down Coat

Postby HuskyRunner » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:22 pm

http://featheredfriends.com/index.php/frontpoint-jacket-3425.html

Paid around $250 with a waterproof shell in a discontinued color, kinda navy blue, it's been cold enough to wear it like 3 times of the past 2 decades, I'll get to Denali one of these days!
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker

Postby Wish I lived in CO » Thu May 02, 2013 5:32 am

I think I just got the bargain of the decade. Lightweight packable down coat for $10. (I forget the retail, it was like $80 or more). I got one in my size, the wife got one for her and like 3 more for friends and relatives. Found it at Sears, Both Mens and Womens and still fairly good selection of sizes. Of course I'm in Michigan, but maybe if you happen to be at Sears this weekend keep an eye out.

Coat.jpg
Coat.jpg (38.45 KiB) Viewed 602 times
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2

Postby griddles » Fri May 16, 2014 8:22 am

So to revive an old thread...

I am in the market for a down jacket and there are lots of sales right now (REI, Wilderness Exchange, GoLite) and as it is the 'end' of the cold weather season prices are even lower!

I am looking for a jacket that can serve mostly for warmth when at camp after hiking or during rest-stops. My main factors would be weight and warmth (duh?), but also price.

Wilderness Exchange has the Mountain Hardwards Kelvinator for $180, Golite has their Roan Plateau 800 for $129, REI has a Mountain Hardware Compressor Jacket for $61!

Any advice? I did read the thread, but just wondering if any thing has changed.

Thanks

Postby mtree » Fri May 16, 2014 8:32 am

I've been very happy with GoLite 800 fill for $100. Got it last year.
"Cool Prius!" - nobody

Postby SurfNTurf » Fri May 16, 2014 8:38 am

griddles wrote:So to revive an old thread...

I am in the market for a down jacket and there are lots of sales right now (REI, Wilderness Exchange, GoLite) and as it is the 'end' of the cold weather season prices are even lower!

I am looking for a jacket that can serve mostly for warmth when at camp after hiking or during rest-stops. My main factors would be weight and warmth (duh?), but also price.

Wilderness Exchange has the Mountain Hardwards Kelvinator for $180, Golite has their Roan Plateau 800 for $129, REI has a Mountain Hardware Compressor Jacket for $61!

Thanks

What time of year and where would you be using it?
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby griddles » Fri May 16, 2014 9:26 am

SurfNTurf wrote:

Mostly in the kind of bridge days between fall and winter or winter and spring. Where is it warm for day hikes or at lower elevations, but when night time temps still get cold, especially in higher elevations.

Postby Double Oh Seven » Fri May 16, 2014 9:37 am

I bought this last year and ithas worked out well.

Use it for stops and sitting around camp in shoulder season. I tried skiing in it and an r1 on a zero degree day and it was too warm

Not sure i would pay 169 for it though. I got it on sale for 120

http://www.backcountry.com/backcountry-backcountry-hadron-down-jacket-mens?ti=UExQIENhdDpNZW5cJ3MgRG93biBKYWNrZXRzOjE6MjpiY3NDYXQxMTEwMDE1&skid=BCC0327-CHA-S

Postby jmanner » Fri May 16, 2014 9:38 am

I bought a Mountain Hardware Compressor this winter. Love it(used it all winter on failed 14er attempts and touring.) It's a really nice pack-able camp jacket. However, there are much warmed jackets...
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

Postby SurfNTurf » Fri May 16, 2014 10:06 am

griddles wrote:
SurfNTurf wrote:

Mostly in the kind of bridge days between fall and winter or winter and spring. Where is it warm for day hikes or at lower elevations, but when night time temps still get cold, especially in higher elevations.

Check out whatever you're leaning toward in-person before buying online. Mountain Hardwear especially, their jackets tend to be a lot thinner than they appear in pictures. I like down for Colorado. Synthetic has its merits though, especially in other regions. I get GoLite's jackets confused sometimes because I don't own much of their product, but I believe the Roan Plateau is in another class of bulk/warmth than the MHW options you listed.

For the shoulder seasons in Colorado, I personally would look at jackets like the MHW Kelvinator, First Ascent Down Sweater, Montbell Alpine Light, etc. I also prefer hoods on my puffys, but that's just me. Happy hunting!
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby cory1223oh » Fri May 16, 2014 12:30 pm

griddles wrote:So to revive an old thread...

Thanks

Whatever you decide to go with, I would definitely recommend not going less than 800-fill power down. There is a big difference in weight and packability between 650-fill and 800-fill. I have the Mountain Hardwear Phantom jacket and have been very happy with it, but it's definitely on the warm end. A friend got the a Montbell jacket in about the same warmth range (can't remember the model) but the way the baffles on the shoulders are made, all of the down falls down below and the tops of his shoulders get pretty cold. Just something to be cautious of. Great jacket other than that.

Postby DaveSwink » Fri May 16, 2014 12:52 pm

griddles wrote:I am looking for a jacket that can serve mostly for warmth when at camp after hiking or during rest-stops. My main factors would be weight and warmth (duh?), but also price.

Consider the Montbell Thermawrap Pro at $105 http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=2002&p_id=2301145&gen_cd=1&fo_flg=1. For your purpose, I suggest sizing it to fit over everything else you will have on. I got a large rather than my usual medium.

Postby CorduroyCalves » Sat May 17, 2014 7:22 am

DaveSwink wrote:
griddles wrote:I am looking for a jacket that can serve mostly for warmth when at camp after hiking or during rest-stops. My main factors would be weight and warmth (duh?), but also price.

Consider the Montbell Thermawrap Pro at $105 http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=2002&p_id=2301145&gen_cd=1&fo_flg=1. For your purpose, I suggest sizing it to fit over everything else you will have on. I got a large rather than my usual medium.

Wish I was an XL, would totally get one if they had a Large.
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir

PreviousNext