Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Down Coat

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Down Coat

Postby dwemp6 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:32 pm

I am looking at down coats and as usual hunting for the best bang for my buck. This forum is always helpful when it comes to feedback on outdoor products. I mostly ski in resorts and average about 5 - 10 in the back country each year.

I am looking at the GoLite Bitterroot 850 and a Moutain Hardwear Kelvinator 650. Does anyone have a good opinion between the two jackets and/or company?

Thanks

Re: Down Coat

Postby EatinHardtack » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:36 pm

dwemp6 wrote: I mostly ski in resorts and average about 5 - 10 in the back country each year.

Are you looking to ski in a down jacket? Or have one availble if it's cold? What's your intended purpose?
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby skimrg81 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:03 pm

Not sure what size you are but I have an XL DAS Parka which has only been worn 4 times and is in brand new shape. I bought it and it is too big for me and I was unable to return it. Just a thought.

Postby VagabondSurveyor » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:07 pm

I've purchased several things from golite including a down jacket. I'm happy with all of them, and the prices are pretty good as well.

Postby dsunwall » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:52 pm

I have the Golite Bitterroot 850, an excellent jacket, warm and very light. the only drawback is the hood, no way to tighten it up around your face. It is a fairly close fitting hood but going against the wind without a hard shell or goggle strap to hold it in place is a bit annoying. I see the Kalvinator has the same issue. 850 down you will find noticeably puffier, so less weight for the same warmth, I believe. I would choose the Bitteroot. Quantum GL fabric on the Bitteroot is some pretty interesting stuff, very light and........... shines.
Last edited by dsunwall on Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Dave B » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:17 pm

In my opinion/experience GoLite gear lacks durability and Mountain Hardwear (unless going with the upper end $$$ items) lacks innovative features; YMMV.

Go to the Mont Bell store in Boulder, try the U.L. Down Parka, the Frost Smoke Parka or the Alpine Light Down Parka. I would be surprised if you bought something other than one of those.

Those are listed in ascending weight and warmth.
Last edited by Dave B on Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby lordhelmut » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:37 pm

Dave B wrote:In my opinion/experience GoLite gear lacks durability and Mountain Hardwear (unless going with the upper end $$$ items) lacks innovative features.

Go to the Mont Bell store in Boulder, try the U.L. Down Parka, the Frost Smoke Parka or the Alpine Light Down Parka. I would be surprised if you bought something other than one of those.

Those are listed in ascending weight and warmth.

+1 on the Alpine Light Parka from Montbell. Seems like the perfect all around down jacket.

Postby CO Native » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:03 pm

Been using my GoLite down parka for 6 years now and its still in great shape. I love mine.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby climbingaggie03 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:33 pm

I've used a montbell thermawrap pro for several years (I know it's synthetic but I imagine that the down version is just as good if not better) It's great for hiking/camping/travel/Around town when the weather is cold, however I don't think puffy coats have any place in skiing inbounds or out. If I'm touring, then yeah I'll take it in my pack but I never wear it unless I'm in camp or on an extended break. The only exception to this is probably on sub-zero skiing days, then sometimes I'll throw my das parka on over my softshell for extra insulation, but I ski 75-100 days a year here in CO and only break out the Das once or twice a year if that.

The problem, especially with down, is that one big thick layer is nice and warm, but not flexible enough to adapt to changing conditions, and if you get sweaty in down, the down gets wet, loses loft, and then you're SOL.

Postby Steve Gio » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:17 pm

If you hurry over to Eddie Bauer outlet you can pick up a $450 FA Bombshelter Jacket for a song. They have a bunch with broken zipper sliders and I got mine for $135, bought a zipper for $2.50 and good as new. I believe they are still having 50% off and I negotiated for the price.

Postby WillV » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:19 pm

Marmot Ama Dablam. Awesome. I say no more...

Postby dpk » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:53 pm

I've used mountain hardware gear for years and have never been disappointed. i give the kelvinator a thumbs up. Thankfully technology is evolving so you no longer need to look like the Michelin man while staying warm :-D

Next