Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Winter Hiking Needs

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Winter Hiking Needs

Postby Dex » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:29 am

a94buff wrote:I have an insulated camelbak hose, kept the mouthpiece stuck in my jacket and still had a frozen line in about 25 minutes headed up to Grizzly D on Saturday in -7 wind chills. Must not have been blowing it out quite thoroughly enough. My new idea is to stick a toe warmer patch to the bladder, right about where the hose comes in, and see if that helps. I hate the idea of having to go into my pack everytime I need water so I'd love to find a solution to the hose issue!

How about the blow and shake - blow then shake the tube while over your head to drain any remaining water out of the exposed tube area. I'm assuming the tube is going over your shoulder.

Is the bladder compartment insulated? If not you might want to try this. Wrap you bladder in Reflectix. (I haven't tried it.) You can find it at Home Depot.

http://www.reflectixinc.com/basepage.asp?PageName=Double+Reflective+Insulation&PageIndex=622

I've used it for insulation and a cozy for my backpacking pot.

Some people carry their dehydrated food in a freezer bag then add hot water and place it in a reflectix pouch to cook and eat.

http://www.thebackpacker.com/pictures/album/fsj32iac.php
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Re: Winter Hiking Needs

Postby a94buff » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:29 am

Thanks for the tip!

Previous