Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

DIY backcountry bombing

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: DIY backcountry bombing

Postby Hacksaw » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:01 pm

RoanMtnMan wrote:
Hacksaw wrote:But, you still don't want to drop one and cause a bigger avalanche then you thought would happen. Are you really sure everyone below is out of the way???

If this really concerns you, which it should, there is an easy solution. Go farther into the backcountry. I would venture that 95%+ of winter backcountry users are within 5 miles of a road.

You should see what happens in the Wasatch mountains...
"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter."

Postby mtnfiend » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:32 pm

Ahh shoot...this thread seems to be headed there anyways, so why beat around the bush.

Last year's Taylor Mountain avy, anyone?
Didn't I ever tell you.....Bumble's bounce!!!

Postby RoanMtnMan » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:16 pm

mtnfiend wrote:Ahh shoot...this thread seems to be headed there anyways, so why beat around the bush.

Last year's Taylor Mountain avy, anyone?

It is a good example of the most unpredictable danger in the backcountry. Risk reduction now seems to include staying away from popular loose routes in the summer and popular ski routes in the winter.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby skiwall » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:46 am

Hacksaw wrote:
RoanMtnMan wrote:
Hacksaw wrote:But, you still don't want to drop one and cause a bigger avalanche then you thought would happen. Are you really sure everyone below is out of the way???

If this really concerns you, which it should, there is an easy solution. Go farther into the backcountry. I would venture that 95%+ of winter backcountry users are within 5 miles of a road.

You should see what happens in the Wasatch mountains...

Seriously... you would not BELIEVE some of the crap we've been seeing this year...
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08

Postby ajkagy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:34 am

Hacksaw wrote:
ajkagy wrote:cutting a rather large cornice will yield much better results than explosions and you don't have to worry about it being legal either :)

But, you still don't want to drop one and cause a bigger avalanche then you thought would happen. Are you really sure everyone below is out of the way???

maybe you shouldn't travel beneath large avalanche run-out paths then :)
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby lordhelmut » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:47 am

Cutting cornices and avoiding avy terrain aside, to the OP, the concern still stands. Do you in fact plan on moving foward with this plan, and if so, do you plan on alerting people of your time and location? There are a lot of things you can prepare for in life, but worrying about getting blown up in the backcountry should not be one of them.

Postby jblyth » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:40 am

lordhelmut wrote:Cutting cornices and avoiding avy terrain aside, to the OP, the concern still stands. Do you in fact plan on moving foward with this plan, and if so, do you plan on alerting people of your time and location? There are a lot of things you can prepare for in life, but worrying about getting blown up in the backcountry should not be one of them.

I agree with Mr. Helmut. I hate when people throw explosives on me while I'm hiking, it always ruins my day.

Previous