Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Best place to buy wool T-shirts

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Best place to buy wool T-shirts

Postby BlueKhan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:13 am

I love my icebreaker t-shirt, but I also love all the cheaper merino wool items I've picked up. My brother just picked up some merino base layers at Costco at a very good price.

Postby Johnson » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:35 pm

Check Sierra Trading Post. I get 35% additional off all the time making a $70 shirt they are selling for $50 to be $32. (Numbers approximate).

Postby MtnClimber82 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:36 pm

Steep & Cheap

Postby TallGrass » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:00 pm

SmartWool Midweight Crew Baselayer in Large for $47.48 (Ends 3/1/13). Cheaper than they've been on SAC today. Toss in socks or such to get it over $50 and get free shipping.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby Cruiser » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:50 pm

The softest and most comfortable wool shirt I own is one of the Terramar Thermawool shirts. It has been surprisingly durable and completely comfortable. Check some of the discount sites for deals. I have wool from Icebreaker, Ibex, Red Ram, and Smartwool and the Terramar just feels like better wool.
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby Svenski Norski » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:23 am

I have 2 from "Minus 33" and they've held up for several years. More affordable than some. They might be slightly thick for summer- Icebreaker has thin, durable ones at higher prices. you can soak a wool t-shirt with sweat and it just smells like wool. They do dry more slowly than polypro, but you won't feel chilled if they're damp, unlike synthetics. In winter I only use wool.

Postby Voodoo302 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:33 am

Icebreaker actually makes a couple polos in merino. I can't review them as I don't own one (yet!) but it looks like a good option for travelling when you can't wash but don't want to LOOK like a dirtbag.

Postby TallGrass » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:12 pm

Best time to buy? Is March the main time when they clear out the Fall '12 stuff? Seems many places are starting to do 50% off. Not in any hurry and been looking at some of the SmartWool Midweight Zip Top as well as the hoody for the long sleeves with a hood and thumb holes being nice.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby BlueKhan » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:55 am

Last week was the perfect time for me. Dillard's did a 75% off retail of Marmot, Merrell, and Royal Robbin. Backcountry had some good winter clearance...and I picked up the $300 snowboard jacket I was eyeing all year direct from Patagonia for a $110. Last week was just about the "best" time for winter gear with a good selection...now the selection typically goes down with the price. Great deals out there right now but if your an XXL, wait it out...

Previous