Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

WInter Pack

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: WInter Pack

Postby Voodoo302 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:04 am

Also worth noting, as far as water/pouches/carrying goes, the OR water bottle parka (I'm sure other companies make them, I have the OR version) is really quite effective, especially if you start with hot water.

And as far as Camelbaks, etc. go, clearing the tube after every drink and zipping the mouthpiece in a chest pocket on your jacket is a very good way to fight the freeze. It takes a lot to freeze a 3L bladder next to your back but the tube and mouthpiece will go fast. Slightly off topic but something to think about as you select your pack and water choices for winter.

Postby Mindy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:14 pm

Dave B wrote: The Black Diamond Covert.

Thanks guys........ these are nice BD packs. All the info in this thread is helpful!

Postby KatieFinn » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:17 am

Mindy wrote:Bob and Kate what packs do you guys have? I remember thinking they were a nice size to hold all your stuff. Bob, yours had your axe down the middle I think?

I use a Mile High Mountaneering (MHM) Salute 34 liters capacity. I absolutely love MHM's suspension system (I have their 80L pack too and I am eyeing a 55L option) that seems to fit me and carries loads better than any Osprey I have had or tried. I have not used it with snowshoes yet but I do not expect I will have any issues attaching them. Bob is an Osprey guy. The pack he had was Stratos 36 and it is a pocket - galore type of a pack and yes, it has a single ice axe loop in the middle. Bob might go with an Osprey Atmos 50 when he starts carrying snowshoes, but he thinks the 36 might work fine, too.

Have fun pack shopping!

Postby d_baker » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:37 am

KatieFinn wrote:Bob might go with an Osprey Atmos 50 when he starts carrying snowshoes

I just bought this pack yesterday. I plan to use it for overnights/multi-day trips. I look forward to putting it to use soon! ;)
For strapping snowshoes to it, I think I'll have to rig up some straps though, but that's not a big deal.
This pack fits my frame well, and I think it will carry a load comfortably. It has a few more "bells & whistles" than I really need, yet at the same time some of those features is something that I wanted (e.g., hip-belt pockets, stretchy side pockets where I tend to store certain items -- sometimes a water bottle depending on time of year).
It also has a stretchy pouch on the back that will be used for my helmet when I'm on trips that call for one.

Postby SingleSpeed » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:46 pm

Thanks for the great suggstions. Right now I think the Osprey Kestrel is in the lead for me. I am leaning towards the 38, but am also considering the 48. Ay thoughts? Will 38L be big enough for single day winter hikes.

I liked the fact that the side straps can be undone and attached to the one on the other side to hold the snowshoes. It also has 2 hip belt pockets. The side pockets are pretty small. I liked the suggestion of using a smaller water bottle in an insulated sleeve (drink it all before it has time to freeze). The only thing that I am not sure about is the rigid metal rod that gives the pack its shape. It does not appear to be removable.

I am still open for further suggestions. Hopefully Santa will drop some REI giftcards, for me to get my new pack with.

JJ

Postby Johnson » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:08 pm

SingleSpeed wrote:Thanks for the great suggstions. Right now I think the Osprey Kestrel is in the lead for me. I am leaning towards the 38, but am also considering the 48. Ay thoughts? Will 38L be big enough for single day winter hikes.

I liked the fact that the side straps can be undone and attached to the one on the other side to hold the snowshoes. It also has 2 hip belt pockets. The side pockets are pretty small. I liked the suggestion of using a smaller water bottle in an insulated sleeve (drink it all before it has time to freeze). The only thing that I am not sure about is the rigid metal rod that gives the pack its shape. It does not appear to be removable.

I am still open for further suggestions. Hopefully Santa will drop some REI giftcards, for me to get my new pack with.

JJ

I have the Kestrel 38 and it's perfect for winter day hikes. Why would you remove the rod?
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby Dave B » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:05 am

SingleSpeed wrote:I am leaning towards the 38, but am also considering the 48. Ay thoughts? Will 38L be big enough for single day winter hikes.

Some people will probably disagree with me, but if you need 48L for a winter day hike you're carrying too much crap. I can fit more then enough clothing, water, food, emergency kit, stove, bivy sack and light weight sleeping bag into my Variant 37 with room to spare.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby climbingaggie03 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:35 pm

I have the REI pinnacle 35 and I love it for winter. I find winter means lots of things I need to carry on the outside (ice axes, crampons, pickets, ski's ect) so the straps on the Pinnacle are great. I think the 50 would be awesome cause it could double as a lightweight 1-2 night backpacking pack for summer. Also Cilogear makes great packs that are pretty customizable.

Postby davebks » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:48 pm

i like the variant for bigger stuff, or the Deuter 35+ guide pack for a day trip out. Very comfy

Postby dsunwall » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:56 pm

just curious, why would I pay $1500 for a 4lb 6oz 75L cilogear when I can get a 4lb 75L BD for $240? looks like cilogear has a lot more attachments, all I can conclude from photos.

http://www.cilogear.com/wdywo.html

http://www.rei.com/product/813388/black-diamond-mission-75-pack

Postby Dave B » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:09 pm

dsunwall wrote:just curious, why would I pay $1500 for a 4lb 6oz 75L cilogear when I can get a 4lb 75L BD for $240? looks like cilogear has a lot more attachments, all I can conclude from photos.

http://www.cilogear.com/wdywo.html

http://www.rei.com/product/813388/black-diamond-mission-75-pack

The Cilo is made from Dyneema, which is just short of indestructible (from a backpack standpoint) and has the price to match.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby MuchosPixels » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:26 pm

Hi!

I have the Kestrel 58 and its a really nice pack but I only use it for overnights or when I need to carry my photography gear.

For winter day hikes I either use a Marmot Zelus 25 if going light or my favorite the Osprey Mutant 38. Its an awesome pack, simple but has enough features, climbs great (narrow) but handles a good bit of weight and expands easily. Its durable also!

http://sectionhiker.com/osprey-mutant-38-backpack-review/

PreviousNext