Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

WInter Pack

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: WInter Pack

Postby Johnson » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:33 am

Has the lube helped? If so, what kind?

Postby TallGrass » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:41 am

dsunwall wrote:no cradle, axe slides right out.

Wonder if this is what was happening with Mindy's where it would slide down through the loop then spin. No way for it to spin if slid in and flipped up (standard). I'm sure no one wants to be climbing and either think "what's that *plink... plink... plink* sound going down the cliff" nor have an axe silently fall and bury itself in a drift. Looks like dsunwall's loops have a cinch to take out excess slack (+), but you had to take out slack for an item the could jiggle free (unlike an axe+adz), you'd only do full 360 twists, not 180 halfs.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby geojed » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:05 am

I just snagged me a Mountainsmith Mayhem 35 from STP w/ a 40% off coupon and Free Shipping! Cost $54. \:D/
The side compression straps reconfigure for vertical snowshoe carry across the Front Panel as seen below. The illustration shows the proper way to carry the ice axe too. Pass it through the loop and fold it up.
More from the product page. http://www.mountainsmith.com/products.asp?productId=282&categoryId=40&subCategoryId=35&subCategory2Id=0
•A-Frame and diagonal ski carry
•Trekking pole mounts
•Ice axe & tool loops
•Side panel accessory pockets
•Top mount compression strap for rope or accessory carry
•Front panel expandable sleeve/shovel pocket
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Previous