Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Boots for winter 14'ers

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Boots for winter 14'ers

Postby Catalyst » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:55 pm

I'm interested in doing some easier winter 14'ers in the coming season and have been looking into some boots. Do you guys think something like this http://www.rei.com/product/838116/garmont-momentum-snow-gtx-winter-boots-mens would get the job done? If not, what would? I'd like to keep the price under $200, preferably closer in price to those boots.

Thanks

Re: Boots for winter 14'ers

Postby d_baker » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:02 pm

I have a similar kind of boot (North Face, not sure of the model) for winter, and it's been fine for me. I've worn strap-on crampons on them too, and it did the job.
It might depend on how cold your feet get, and how you keep your body/core warm.

Postby kimo » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:35 pm

Catalyst wrote:Do you guys think something like this http://www.rei.com/product/838116/garmont-momentum-snow-gtx-winter-boots-mens would get the job done?

Those Garmonts should get the job done and insulate your feet in wind and cold but I had those same boots and they lasted only 1 season. They came apart at the vertical seem at the ball of the foot and then not longer after the laces tore through the lacing grommets and they were toast. I did put some miles on them though. Really too bad because although the upper boot was stiff the shape fit my foot well and they were reasonably warm. Moved on to Salomon winter boots that are just as warm and now going on their second winter. I prefer it over the Garmont although the exact Salomon model doesn't appear to be made anymore. Ultimately, get whatever winter boot fits your foot right. Good fit is important for proper circulation and warmth.

Postby CarpeDM » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:08 am

I have these Salomon Deemax winter boots: http://www.rei.com/product/803483/salomon-deemax-2-dry-winter-boots-mens.

They appear to be similar to the Garmonts (well, they're both black anyway :-D). I've been pretty happy with them. They are warm, comfortable, and easy to get on and off with gloves on. I haven't tried using my crampons on them, just microspikes. The one knock I have against them is that they do not seem to be particularly rugged; they are starting to fall apart a bit. They did see a lot more action this past winter (the second winter I had them) compared to the winter before. I will try to get another winter out of them, which won't be too bad really, if they do make it.

Also, I see on the REI site that these are rated to 20F - not nearly as low as the -35F on the Garmonts. I don't have information on whether or not these ratings are worth anything. I'm sure fit has a lot to do with how individuals perceive their warmth - as Kimo said. I can say that I have had the Salomons in air temps to the single digits or teens and been okay.
"Skepticism is the first step towards truth." - Denis Diderot
"It is not what the man of science believes that distinguishes him, but how and why he believes it. His beliefs are tentative, not dogmatic; they are based on evidence, not on authority or intuition." - Bertrand Russell
"Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." - George Carlin

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:28 am

CarpeDM wrote:I have these Salomon Deemax winter boots: http://www.rei.com/product/803483/salomon-deemax-2-dry-winter-boots-mens.

They appear to be similar to the Garmonts (well, they're both black anyway :-D). I've been pretty happy with them. They are warm, comfortable, and easy to get on and off with gloves on. I haven't tried using my crampons on them, just microspikes. The one knock I have against them is that they do not seem to be particularly rugged; they are starting to fall apart a bit. They did see a lot more action this past winter (the second winter I had them) compared to the winter before. I will try to get another winter out of them, which won't be too bad really, if they do make it.

Also, I see on the REI site that these are rated to 20F - not nearly as low as the -35F on the Garmonts. I don't have information on whether or not these ratings are worth anything. I'm sure fit has a lot to do with how individuals perceive their warmth - as Kimo said. I can say that I have had the Salomons in air temps to the single digits or teens and been okay.

Ah's Flat too. :lol: Seriously, dude, I've used these for most of the last three winter seasons as well!

My take:
1. They're light.
2. They're light.
3. Find me a better boot that's as light and I'm interested.

The downside is they really do fall apart pretty quickly. I can't get a pair to last longer than a season. But I do put a lot of miles on them.
As far as warmth, they're ok for daytrips. In high winds, the feet can get a bit cold. I have them sized a bit large and use heavy socks.
Note that they are neither waterproof nor breathable, as they claim. My socks and feet are often soaked with these.
They do stick pretty well, but be careful of mixed water/rock/ice conditions. Wear microspikes in those conditions.
They don't kick steps for beans.
They will accept Camp aluminum crampons nicely, but are quite flexible, so they are of somewhat limited value there.
But did I mention they are light?

Two places they shine: First, when you XC ski in a long way and need to change out to boots and snowshoes. Even in the larger sizes, they only weigh slightly more than two pounds for the pair. That is sweet. Second, when you want to travel fast on mostly class 2 and 3 wind-blown terrain in winter. You can really move with these boots. They weigh no more than my running shoes.

Another option is the La Sportiva Trango. (I think I got that right - the red boot.) They're goretex, really do keep your feet pretty dry, are fairly good in high winds, don't take as thick of a sock to keep the feet warm, kick steps great, and handle crampons well (even water ice.) So far they seem to be pretty durable. They're a lot heavier than the Salomon, but then, they're a real boot. They are still on the lighter side, weight wise, of what's out there for mountaineering boots.

That's been my experience with these two. I'd sure like to hear from anyone who has found something that has the positives of the Trango and the light weight of the Salomon Deemax. I'm sure there's something out there.

Postby cory1223oh » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:22 am

I've done quite a bit of research looking for a good deal on winter boots to use on 14ers and snowshoeing. The Salomon Toundra was the best that I found. It's rated to -40, but it still lightweight. The insulation used is Aspen Aerogels, which apparently were first developed for NASA and supposedly have a stupidly high warmth/weight ratio. To top it off, they are a steal right now on Amazon. Haven't gotten to see them in person, but they are on my Christmas list [-o<

http://www.amazon.com/Salomon-Toundra-WP-Winter-Asphalt/dp/B002S94ZCU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354032963&sr=8-1&keywords=toundra

Postby Floyd » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:34 am

These are bulky, but unbelievably comfortable. Also, I have a problem with cold feet and these are very warm. Love them and only $150

http://www.rei.com/product/837355/keen-summit-county-ii-winter-boots-mens
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason

Postby Jay521 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:55 am

Floyd wrote:These are bulky, but unbelievably comfortable. Also, I have a problem with cold feet and these are very warm. Love them and only $150

http://www.rei.com/product/837355/keen-summit-county-ii-winter-boots-mens

I have a pair of these and love them also. My only real gripe is that my gaiters just BARELY close around them because of their bulk.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down

Postby CarpeDM » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:07 am

cory1223oh wrote:I've done quite a bit of research looking for a good deal on winter boots to use on 14ers and snowshoeing. The Salomon Toundra was the best that I found. It's rated to -40, but it still lightweight. The insulation used is Aspen Aerogels, which apparently were first developed for NASA and supposedly have a stupidly high warmth/weight ratio. To top it off, they are a steal right now on Amazon. Haven't gotten to see them in person, but they are on my Christmas list [-o<

http://www.amazon.com/Salomon-Toundra-WP-Winter-Asphalt/dp/B002S94ZCU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354032963&sr=8-1&keywords=toundra

I'm intrigued! They look a little high for mid-tops, though. Might be able to save even more weight with a slightly lower top. Guess I'd have to check them out in person.

As Dances said, the weight of the Deemax is definitely a big plus for them. I'm not one that likes heavy boots - or boots with really stiff soles. I'll go that direction only if I have to wear crampons. So I also have the Scarpa Charmoz, which are really best for spring snow conditions as they are not insulated - and out of the price range that the OP mentioned. Anyway, I consider that purchase to have been a mistake. I should've done more research on winter boots. Also, I suffered a blackened left big toenail, traded up in size and then still lost the toenail on my right big toe. Apparently, I still have sizing problems. Not very comfortable, not very warm, but they will reliably take a crampon. They seem to be quite durable, though. When the time comes, I'll probably replace them with the Mont Blancs or the Nepal Evos.

I'm still fairly new to winter hiking/climbing, and I'm still trying to figure this all out myself. So my comments are based on fairly limited experience.
Last edited by CarpeDM on Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Skepticism is the first step towards truth." - Denis Diderot
"It is not what the man of science believes that distinguishes him, but how and why he believes it. His beliefs are tentative, not dogmatic; they are based on evidence, not on authority or intuition." - Bertrand Russell
"Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." - George Carlin

Postby ajkagy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:47 am

i wouldn't spend $160 on boots. Look around a bit more and you'll find a better deal

I have a pair of North face lifty boots (rated to -40F) that I got for around $50-60 many years ago and they are still awesome
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Mike391 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:29 pm

Catalyst wrote:I'm interested in doing some easier winter 14'ers in the coming season and have been looking into some boots. Do you guys think something like this http://www.rei.com/product/838116/garmont-momentum-snow-gtx-winter-boots-mens would get the job done? If not, what would? I'd like to keep the price under $200, preferably closer in price to those boots.

Thanks

I have those exact same boots, going on their 2nd winter. I've hiked in them and used them for snowshoeing. They are pretty comfortable and light, especially given the -35F temp rating. I have not used them in temperatures anywhere near that cold; probably only down to the mid 20's. But they are really warm.

Postby Johnson » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:36 pm

I had the Momentum's last year and used them for one hike. They were ok for warmth... not great... but I ended up returning them due to the fit. The top of the boot didn't 'give' and ended up rubbing against my shins in a most unpleasant way.

I got these for this year and looking forward to trying them out. STP has 100% gaurantee like REI so it's a good way to check them out without having to worry about being stuck with a boot that doesn't work for you.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/merrell-ice-jam-6-boots-waterproof-for-men~p~4702y/?filterString=s~merrell%2F&colorFamily=01
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Next