Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

BioLite Stove

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: BioLite Stove

Postby dave_navy_VA » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:00 pm

[quote="ACERyGuy007"]Interesting. Thanks for the info!

Good to get some real world feedback about the stove. I really like the idea, but it doesn't seem to be ready for prime time yet.
After looking at BioLite's website, I think their bigger stove has much more promise. I'd see it as a great thing to have in case of natural diaster or perhaps it also could work well on a week long hunting trip or something.

-Ryan[/quote

I am back East for a few months and saw one of these in the Shenandoah NP last week. The guy has had it for almost a year. It works really well and he picked up just hardwood scraps on the way up so the smoke was not too bad. That thing is pretty big though. I just pack a Zagg Sparq 3100 for 2 charges and that has worked well. I could see this being a good option for longer trips. And also, the survivalist guys are talking this product up along with the iridium phones et al.

One thing that was pretty cool - his hiking parter had packed the grill that snaps onto this stove. They were grilling a defrosted pair of burgers and veggies when I was digging into the Alpine Aire pouch for my dinner lol.

Since the flames are contained apparently it's not an issue for backcountry regs, at least in that park. A ranger came by earlier and they said he gave them a thumbs-up.

Postby mtn_nut » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:41 pm

I use a bushbuddy ultra. it weighs 4.8 ounces, and works great. I bought it used and have owned it for 3 years now, and I've never had an issue.

http://bushbuddy.ca/indexs.html

Postby TallGrass » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:14 pm

Saw this in Backpacker magazine and dismissed it, but to test my intuition, here's a
Spec' Comparison: BioLite vs. Esbit Pocket & Folding Solar Charger Combo
Weight: BioLite 33.00oz, Combo 9.85oz (3.25+6.6oz) less than a third
Price: BioLite $129.95, Combo $78.90 ($10.50+$68.40) 60%
Space/Size: BioLite: 206.0in^3 (5x5x8.5), Combo: 32.1in^3 (4x3x0.75=9in^3, 3.5x5.5x1.2=23.1in^3) about one-sixth
Charging, Time: BioLite: USB only, few minutes while cooking, Combo: USB or AA, HOURS while at camp or hiking strapped to top of pack more juice? headlamp batteries?
Emissions and Resources Consumed for Manufacture: BioLite ?, Combo ?
Look-At-Me Bling Factor: (Is this really a factor for folks? Yeah, probably.)

USAKeller wrote: It's heavy too. I think it's great for car camping, ... great step forward in 'going green' in the camping world by using renewable energy sources.
If one's car camping, why not just use the car's charger? Twig stoves are hardly new and are easier to recycle (steel scrap) thus involve less resources/waste/emissions to make.

Just about any backpacking stove is lighter, from "twig" stoves like the BushBuddy/Solo (comparison) at 6-9oz, a complete Esbit Stove & Cook Set at 7oz, and especially "tuna can" alcohol stoves w/ aluminum foil shields. Even a JetBoil is lighter (15.25oz) and smaller (131in^3) than a BioLite, even if you add the solar charger. There are also plenty of DIY Solar Chargers if you like electronics (search "solar usb charger lightweight" or "solar iphone charger"). Or, you could just charge your phone in the car while driving to the TH then power the phone off and power the nature on as you bust trail with battery-free compass and map.

Image Image Image Image Image

Disclaimer: I use a Esbit Pocket stove w/ Al foil, SS mug with folding handles, and turn off my phone at the TH (made a USB adapter to the motorcycle's battery).
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Previous