Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

glove recommendations?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

glove recommendations?

Postby ajkagy » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:25 am

So I have a pair of Hestra Heli Pro gloves that are wearing out which might need to be replaced this winter. Does anybody have any good experiences with the gloves they use now? Looking for something waterproof, good for skiing/touring and just a general cold weather snow glove. School me on the new gloves that are out there...
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Re: glove recommendations?

Postby Johnson » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:35 am

You might find a sweet deal here: http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/web-specials

Check this: http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/web-specials/guide-glove-2011

Also, if you email them, they get right back to you and can help make an informed BD decision.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby ajkagy » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:51 am

Johnson wrote:You might find a sweet deal here: http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/web-specials

Check this: http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/web-specials/guide-glove-2011

Also, if you email them, they get right back to you and can help make an informed BD decision.

I've heard good things about their guide glove. Backcountry also has a lot of good deals on BD gloves right now, thanks for the link
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Dave B » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:52 am

I just took my BD Virago's out for their first backcountry turns this weekend. I was quite impressed with the warmth and dexterity, plus I got them on sale (last season's) for $40. Deals can still be found on these since BD changed the design a bit this year. The new Backcountry Rambla by BD also looks pretty awesome, but I'd like to hear some reviews first.

I'm sure a lot of people will recommend the Kinco's, so I'll be the lone dissenting voice. While they're really quite warm, in my opinion they have poor dexterity and I'm not a fan of the cuff and the fact that with minimal movement my wrist becomes exposed. You can't beat them for $15 and at that price why not give them a shot, but I'd rather spend a bit more and have a really nice glove.

EDIT: about the BD guides. Those are pretty burly gloves, super warm but not much in the way of dexterity.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby lordhelmut » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:06 am

Dave B wrote:I just took my BD Virago's out for their first backcountry turns this weekend. I was quite impressed with the warmth and dexterity, plus I got them on sale (last season's) for $40. Deals can still be found on these since BD changed the design a bit this year. The new Backcountry Rambla by BD also looks pretty awesome, but I'd like to hear some reviews first.

I'm sure a lot of people will recommend the Kinco's, so I'll be the lone dissenting voice. While they're really quite warm, in my opinion they have poor dexterity and I'm not a fan of the cuff and the fact that with minimal movement my wrist becomes exposed. You can't beat them for $15 and at that price why not give them a shot, but I'd rather spend a bit more and have a really nice glove.

EDIT: about the BD guides. Those are pretty burly gloves, super warm but not much in the way of dexterity.

I agree re: Kincos, but on the same token, I'll give a few more pros. Flylow has the "tough guy" glove for 28$, the wrist is a little longer, so you can tuck it further up your jacket. I, personally, have never had a problem with exposure, but I will say, when its cold (as in negative wind chill), I have trouble keeping my hands warm (but am fine with hand warmers). I use the Flylow Mitts for really cold days (with hand warmers) and the Kinco and Flylow leather gloves, and they work equally well for in and out of bounds. I buy a new pair every year, and they last an average of 2 to 3 seasons, then they turn in to strictly work gloves around the house in the fall when the insulation has been too punched out. My biggest pro on them is their ease of slipping on and off and the insulation is sewn in, so you don't run the problem of the insulation constantly bunching up and sliding out. Dexterity, IMO, isn't as important, in Colorado, if you need to take them off for a few seconds, you won't lose your hands (unless you have really bad circulation issues, in which insulated work gloves might not be the glove for you)

Postby jblyth » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:17 am

Dave B wrote: EDIT: about the BD guides. Those are pretty burly gloves, super warm but not much in the way of dexterity.

I got a pair off S&C for $60 and tried them out for the first time this weekend. They were toasty, but felt like I was wearing a boxing glove. I've heard they get better as you break them in, but I can't imagine using these on any sort of difficult scrambling because of the lack of dexterity.

My hands run super cold, so the time has come to finally invest in a good pair of mitts. Anyone have experience with Marmot mitts? I can get a decent deal on them, but keep hearing BD or OR is the way to go.

Postby Dave B » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:24 am

lordhelmut wrote:Dexterity, IMO, isn't as important, in Colorado, if you need to take them off for a few seconds, you won't lose your hands (unless you have really bad circulation issues, in which insulated work gloves might not be the glove for you)

Yes, that's a very important caveat. I have horrible circulation and lose my hands very quickly. For me, a glove that I don't have to take off to transition from skin to ski is the glove I need because even with a liner glove, touching skins and metal buckles or brushing snow from my bindings guarantees I will get numb hands.

Postby lordhelmut » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:29 am

Dave B wrote:
lordhelmut wrote:Dexterity, IMO, isn't as important, in Colorado, if you need to take them off for a few seconds, you won't lose your hands (unless you have really bad circulation issues, in which insulated work gloves might not be the glove for you)

Yes, that's a very important caveat. I have horrible circulation and lose my hands very quickly. For me, a glove that I don't have to take off to transition from skin to ski is the glove I need because even with a liner glove, touching skins and metal buckles or brushing snow from my bindings guarantees I will get numb hands.

My buddy over the weekend mentioned his problems with circulation, so I saw, first hand, how easy it can be for hands to freeze up, even when ascending uphill. I guess its also important to add, if you do have circulation problems, to always carry an emergency pair of lightweight mitts in the case your hands freeze to the bone and rubbing and blowing on them doesn't help. Nothing sucks more than cold hands in the backcountry.

Postby CarpeDM » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:46 am

jblyth17 wrote:
Dave B wrote: EDIT: about the BD guides. Those are pretty burly gloves, super warm but not much in the way of dexterity.

I got a pair off S&C for $60 and tried them out for the first time this weekend. They were toasty, but felt like I was wearing a boxing glove. I've heard they get better as you break them in, but I can't imagine using these on any sort of difficult scrambling because of the lack of dexterity.

My hands run super cold, so the time has come to finally invest in a good pair of mitts. Anyone have experience with Marmot mitts? I can get a decent deal on them, but keep hearing BD or OR is the way to go.

I was just about to write a very similar post. My hands run very cold. And I too got the BD Guides for about $60 (I think it was backcountry.com - same thing). I actually tested them initially on Mt Powell several weeks ago. It wasn't TOO cold, but my hands got cold, so I stuck handwarmers between the inner and outer layers and they were fine. I tried them again this weekend on Parnassus & Woods. Again, these gloves are made for much colder conditions. My hands got cold initially, but actually warmed up after a short while. So my evaluation is still on-going. And, yes, it feels like you're wearing boxing gloves. I purposefully sized up so I could wear a thin liner glove underneath for when I need more dexterity, and not have them so tight that it cuts off the blood flow.

And, yes, I'm also interested in what guidance others can provide regarding bad-azz, super mitts.
"Skepticism is the first step towards truth." - Denis Diderot
"It is not what the man of science believes that distinguishes him, but how and why he believes it. His beliefs are tentative, not dogmatic; they are based on evidence, not on authority or intuition." - Bertrand Russell
"Tell people there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure." - George Carlin
"Some say they're goin' to a place called Glory And I ain't saying it ain't a fact. But I've heard that I'm on the road to Purgatory And I don't like the sound of that.
I believe in love and I live my life accordingly. But I choose to let the mystery be" - Iris Dement

Postby jsdratm » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:58 am

I've had problems with my hands getting cold, so I got some Outdoor Research Alti mittens. I took them out to a CMC trip this weekend and had plenty of warmth at about 30 degrees, but have yet to evaluate them at worse temperatures and high wind. They are so roomy that I could add another liner on the inside as well as handwarmers if necessary. They are certainly less dextrous than a glove, but I am still able to grip an ice axe and trekking poles.

Postby Dave B » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:49 pm

I just got a pair of the BD Punisher gloves I ordered last week. While these are primarily ice climbing gloves, holy warmth! Good dexterity too, I'm probably gone size them down one size, but I compared them to my Viragos and they are way warmer.

Postby Cruiser » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:55 pm

I've got 3 years on a pair of Kinco 901's. Despite being several times cheaper than the 4 or 5 other pairs of nice winter gloves I own I always find myself going back to them. Grab a pair and try them out before you drop the coin on something else. Worst case you have nice warm pair of gloves to keep in your vehicle for emergencies.
Where ever you are... There you are.

Next