Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

leki trekking pole advice...

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

leki trekking pole advice...

Postby lafutura » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:50 pm

so i know trekking pole discussions have been had on here (and i did look through them first before posting).

i have some leki poles that have the twist locks. despite adjusting them prior to using them (and yes, i know how to pull them apart to do so), it never fails that one accidentally slips, usually when i am in cold weather. i'm completely over this.

the problem is i have a pro deal with leki so i get poles at wholesale. wondering if anyone uses leki speedlock poles and likes them. is it worth it for me to just bite the bullet and go with black diamond (though which model i'm not sure of)?

thanks for some words of wisdom!

Re: leki trekking pole advice...

Postby MUni Rider » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:13 pm

My twist locks are collecting a year of dust and are only still in my house to serve as a back up for anyone I know that doesn't have a pair for a last minute trip that may arise.

Your sanity and is peace of mind is more valuable than the few dollars that you will save from the Leki pro deal. Just get the flicklocks and don't look back.

By the way, Black Diamond's patent on the flicklock expired a year or two ago and now the feature is showing up on many other brands, to include the cheap stuff at Walmart.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Postby lafutura » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:20 pm

ah, that explains all the comments about getting poles at walmart - i didn't understand that history behind the patent expiring. good point on my sanity being worth the $. i try to do a decent amount of research before buying products that i may need to rely on at some point, and how on earth i ended up reading that the twist locks would be a good purchase is beyond me.

thanks!

Postby Dex » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:41 am

lafutura wrote:so i know trekking pole discussions have been had on here (and i did look through them first before posting).

i have some leki poles that have the twist locks. despite adjusting them prior to using them (and yes, i know how to pull them apart to do so), it never fails that one accidentally slips, usually when i am in cold weather. i'm completely over this.

the problem is i have a pro deal with leki so i get poles at wholesale. wondering if anyone uses leki speedlock poles and likes them. is it worth it for me to just bite the bullet and go with black diamond (though which model i'm not sure of)?

thanks for some words of wisdom!

There are plastic parts inside that can wear out and can be replaced. You could look at that. Also, try cleaning the inside and out side of the poles - grease or dirt might be a factor.

Also, when going from warm to cold weather could affect the tightness.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby lafutura » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:27 pm

unfortunately i've been down the road with all that with them...the plastic parts are in great shape, the poles are clean, etc. - i expect poles to work in varying temperatures. after all, the base temp is never the same as the summit, and i'm one to not let cold weather stop my hiking! i think the twist lock poles should come with a warning like "if you don't hike in exactly the same temperatures all the time, expect the poles to malfunction on you."

thankfully it looks like rei has a sale on the bd alpine carbon cork poles. think that has pushed me in the end to give the middle finger to leki!

Postby edhaman » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:20 pm

Take your poles to the gear rental department at REI. They cleaned out my Leki poles and the twist locks work fine now. You can also try taking the poles apart and screwing in the lock devices slightly. That will spread them apart a little so they grab better. (It's hard - so to speak - to keep this thread from turning sexual!)

Postby Gareth » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:07 pm

After fighting the twist locks on my REI poles since January 2008 (cold weather), they finally seemed to quit catching altogether at the end of September. I replaced them with a pair of these:

http://www.rei.com/product/812367/rei-traverse-powerlock-trekking-poles-pair

They have the flicklock-type adjusters, and they were an upgrade (for me) to cork handles.
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James

Postby I Man » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:09 pm

Don't use Leki Poles. They will continue to fail you in the cold, on the trail, anytime they want/you need them.

The BD "Flip Lock" system is the only reliable pole on the market.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby davebks » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:22 pm

I have these, http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/trekking-poles/distance-fl-trekking-pole and really like them.
The only bad thing about them is they don't have much of a basket so if you are going in deep snow they can punch through a lot, but in general they are light, compact, and hike well.

Postby crestone14ers » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:14 pm

I Man wrote:Don't use Leki Poles. They will continue to fail you in the cold, on the trail, anytime they want/you need them.

My eight plus year old Leki Super Makalu Core Tec poles have been on many peaks and trails in all types of weather conditions and have never failed me!

When I had to replace two lower sections that were bent due to my fault, Leki replaced them for free in a very quick turnaround.

These same poles are still being used today with great success. :wink:
“The strength of an individual is not measured by how much one can control others, but by how much one can control oneself.” Hidy Ochiai

Postby I Man » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:18 pm

crestone14ers wrote:
I Man wrote:Don't use Leki Poles. They will continue to fail you in the cold, on the trail, anytime they want/you need them.

My eight plus year old Leki Super Makalu Core Tec poles have been on many peaks and trails in all types of weather conditions and have never failed me!

When I had to replace two lower sections that were bent due to my fault, Leki replaced them for free in a very quick turnaround.

I have the same poles and gave up trying to fix them after many tries. I know many others that have had the same experience. I am MUCH happier with my BD Poles.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby crestone14ers » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:25 pm

I Man wrote:
crestone14ers wrote:

I have the same poles and gave up trying to fix them after many tries. I know many others that have had the same experience. I am MUCH happier with my BD Poles.

Good for you. :roll:
“The strength of an individual is not measured by how much one can control others, but by how much one can control oneself.” Hidy Ochiai

Next