Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ski Jacket for Mountaineering?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Ski Jacket for Mountaineering?

Postby Andymcp1 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:09 pm

Liquid Shadow,
Go for it! The only true way to figure out what you need is to experience it yourself. Often times (myself included) we as an outdoor/ climbing community get so caught up in equipment trends that we forgt that our passion is indeed pure and simple. You can make do with what you have, and as you gain more experience you can buy what you have learned you need. When I first began about four years ago hiking and climbing I would set out with a 40 pound pack because I brought everything I thought I would need and then some back ups. It all consisted of stuff from around the house, and cheap stuff from thrift stores. You can make do with hodgepog stuff as long as you plan accordingly. Sure it may not be fashionable, or the top end stuff that we are accostumed to seeing on our local peaks, but it will do the trick.

Go for it, and as you learn what you need you will aquire it and be better off with more specific items for certain weather and conditions. Be safe, learn lots, and most of all enjoy the mountains for their purity and beauty.

Postby climbing_rob » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:43 pm

Andymcp1 wrote:Liquid Shadow,
Go for it! The only true way to figure out what you need is to experience it yourself. Often times (myself included) we as an outdoor/ climbing community get so caught up in equipment trends that we forget that our passion is indeed pure and simple. You can make do with what you have, and as you gain more experience you can buy what you have learned you need.
Perfect response. I wore a ski jacket I bought at Snigrab on sale for $60 (reg. ~$200, if memory serves) for four extremely productive and 100% successful years of high mountaineering, including many CO winter climbs, and three continental high points (Elbrus, Kili and Aconcagua). Somehow, I lived. Now I've been caught up in the Gear Frenzy myself and own a $500 Arcteryx jacket and probably a couple thousand $ worth of other jackets. Why? to help stimulate the economy perhaps? No other reason I can think of.

Postby Liquid Shadow » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:38 pm

climbing_rob wrote:
Andymcp1 wrote:Liquid Shadow,
Go for it! The only true way to figure out what you need is to experience it yourself. Often times (myself included) we as an outdoor/ climbing community get so caught up in equipment trends that we forget that our passion is indeed pure and simple. You can make do with what you have, and as you gain more experience you can buy what you have learned you need.
Perfect response. I wore a ski jacket I bought at Snigrab on sale for $60 (reg. ~$200, if memory serves) for four extremely productive and 100% successful years of high mountaineering, including many CO winter climbs, and three continental high points (Elbrus, Kili and Aconcagua). Somehow, I lived. Now I've been caught up in the Gear Frenzy myself and own a $500 Arcteryx jacket and probably a couple thousand $ worth of other jackets. Why? to help stimulate the economy perhaps? No other reason I can think of.

Thanks for the response guys! I will definitely give this jacket a try, I mean it was only $60 so I got nothing to lose. The only tiny problem is that the jacket runs slightly large, but I figure once I have my pack on, it will lock the jacket pretty tight. Here is a picture of me with the jacket and other gear haha:
Attachments
530936_840736515158_24264200_n.jpg
530936_840736515158_24264200_n.jpg (56.34 KiB) Viewed 374 times

Postby kansas » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:32 am

Suddenly, I have an urge to change my avatar.
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:55 am

I think I'm going to create an app that let's you input all the gear you own, then you tell it what activity you are doing and when, and based upon the activity and the weather, snowpack conditions, it tells you what gear to bring.

Postby Carl » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:00 am

This post is self serving, but if you're looking for a jacket for mountaineering I honestly think you would be better off returning that jacket and buying this shell from me for $50 http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/gearclass.php?entry=1672. You could also check ebay or some local consignments shops for sub $100 lightly used jackets. Sure the Orage will work, but it's bulky and heavy, and therefore far from ideal.

Postby Duffus Kentucky Climber » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:22 am

Personally............if my ears are warm, I'm warm all over!

Hey! :x
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!

Previous