Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

I have a woody!!!!

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: I have a woody!!!!

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:02 pm

Tallgrass I am not sure where you are going with that but since you appear to be questioning our parenting I'll say that we have not installed safety equipment yet. At two years old our daughter isn't actually capable of climbing unassisted yet.

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:04 pm

I recall my daughter at one was a demon on the stairs. I watched her speed up them one time when I was trying to make a business call, fortunately I managed to keep the customer in the dark about the nature of our home business while simultaneously keeping my kid from tumbling to her death....
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby zdero1 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:46 pm

Nice to wake up with a nice woody and have others play with it.

Ok that's out of the way...Nice work, Tuba! Your daughter's childhood will be nothing like mine in the flatlands. She's got it made!

Postby lackerstef » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:30 am

Awesome.

Postby TallGrass » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:56 am

its_not_a_tuba wrote:
TallGrass wrote:And the crash pad is . . .
I'll say that we have not installed safety equipment yet.

Smooth garage concrete at even a couple feet is unforgiving to any cranium or coccyx. Some motorcycle/scooter riders don't perceive that either saying, "Oh, I'm not going that far/fast."
Image Odds (e.g. coin flip) are merely asymptotic.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:44 am

TallGrass wrote:
its_not_a_tuba wrote:
TallGrass wrote:And the crash pad is . . .
I'll say that we have not installed safety equipment yet.

Smooth garage concrete at even a couple feet is unforgiving to any cranium or coccyx. Some motorcycle/scooter riders don't perceive that either saying, "Oh, I'm not going that far/fast."
Image Odds (e.g. coin flip) are merely asymptotic.

Wow. Had I known this I would have never let my daughter stand anywhere near that concrete floor without a crashpad or helmet or something. Thank you for enlightening me.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Postby davebks » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:44 pm

Boing!
That's sick!!! Nice work!!!

Postby jdorje » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:36 pm

TallGrass wrote:Smooth garage concrete at even a couple feet is unforgiving to any cranium or coccyx. Some motorcycle/scooter riders don't perceive that either saying, "Oh, I'm not going that far/fast."

A lecture about risk perception and motorcycle riders is the most relevant example you can come up with?
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby GravityPilot » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:58 pm

Nice wood. It can be super fun to have around. I built one over a year ago and came into ice season real strong. Mine is only 8'x8' but it gets the job done. I added 3/8" ring bolts for extra dry tooling and some ice panel pieces to spice it up. The pad is also my bed so that makes this real easy.

Postby TallGrass » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:06 pm

jdorje wrote:A [point] about risk perception and motorcycle riders is the most relevant example you can come up with?

Kind of odd you didn't/can't connect the dots between the two on the relevant commonality, especially given our respective avatars.

Postby jdorje » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:18 pm

TallGrass wrote:
jdorje wrote:A [point] about risk perception and motorcycle riders is the most relevant example you can come up with?

Kind of odd you didn't/can't connect the dots between the two on the relevant commonality, especially given our respective avatars.

My point exactly - no offense intended, I just find it strange. An objective pointing-out that hard surfaces can be more dangerous than they look is certainly relevant, however.

BTW Tuba, that setup looks awesome. I've seen home climbing-wall setups before, but you plan large!
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby TallGrass » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:17 pm

jdorje wrote:... I just find it strange. ...

As I found it strange not to see a crash pad (like can be seen in the pics of other woodies posted) in light of "there are 7 established routes" and a pic of someone (young 'n) at the holds muddles whether it's being used or not yet. I feel a pad is an integral part of the set up and thus its status a legitimate question so I asked about it in an open-ended form. If someone wants to spin that negative/offensive versus just addressing the question with "on order," "got some old mattresses in the basement we'll bring up once coated with linseed oil (or such)," "we don't need no stinkin' pads," or "still got some tweaks to do before we can pad it and start using it," I can't stop it.

I mean, who wants to read:

"Ouch! How'd you get the concussion?"

"Climbing."

"Oh. Which peak?"

"My garage."

"Garage?!"

Especially if it was just "test ride." 2012 has had enough injuries as it is, no? As they say, "Gravity is a harsh mistress" regardless of the endeavor.

PreviousNext