Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Spantik Fit Issue

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Spantik Fit Issue

Postby carson_h » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:14 am

I'm having a fit issue with my new La Sportiva Spantiks. When I flex forward, the boot digs into the top of my foot. It looks like there are few things working against me:

-- My tendon jumps up significantly when I flex my foot.
-- The default lacing on the Spantiks pulls the top collar down into the notch between the upper/lower boot.
-- The plastic on the Spantiks is stiff

I've tried some different lacing patterns and adding foam in various places, but I'm not making much progress in resolving this issue. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Carson

spantik0.JPG
you probably don't want to see my foot, but here's the blister location
spantik0.JPG (80.8 KiB) Viewed 591 times

spantik1.JPG
default lacing pulls the upper cuff into the crease
spantik1.JPG (112.3 KiB) Viewed 591 times

spantik3.JPG
testing some different lacing patterns
spantik3.JPG (119.6 KiB) Viewed 591 times

Re: Spantik Fit Issue

Postby atalarico » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:37 am

Try a lower volume footbed. I have a high instep and a high arch, which makes sizing boots of any kind a pain. However, I'm a huge fan of SOLE's red footbeds. Supports my arch, but is thin enough to not ram my instep into the top of my boot tongues. https://secure.yoursole.com/us/footbeds/signature-karnazes/

Hope that helps! You could also try the new Chris Davenport model which is super thin but also has insulation.

Postby kushrocks » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:08 pm

I really like my Spantiks but had a issue similar to yours although not that extreme. Did you ever look into getting an intuition liner? That way its molded to your foot and actually a lot warmer. I am looking at doing that for mine. I don't like the idea of spending $130-$160 more on it but for more warmth and comfort especially in the environment that requires a Spantik it might be worth looking into. Kevo would be a good guy to talk to if you go this route.
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby carson_h » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:44 am

Thanks for the suggestions!

I have an Intuition Denali liner, but I don't like the way it fits. It has no laces and I can't get the outer boot laces tight enough to prevent my foot from flopping around inside the liner. Do other people have this issue also? How are you solving it?

I'll try a lower volume footbed. I ordered the Chris Davenport Sole a few weeks ago for another shoe, so I'll swap it in and see what happens. Also, I spent some quality time with the boot, a mallet, and the rounded corner of a table. The upper boot is a lot softer now. (I learned this trick from Bob at Neptune). We'll see this fixes me, but I need to heal first.

Thanks!

-Carson

Postby atalarico » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:47 am

carson_h wrote:Thanks for the suggestions!

I'll try a lower volume footbed. I ordered the Chris Davenport Sole a few weeks ago for another shoe, so I'll swap it in and see what happens.

Now I have a question for you! Sole's website doesn't list the actual thickness of the CD Sole, and I'm trying to figure out if it's thinner than their 1.6mm ones. Do you happen to know?

Postby davebks » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:03 pm

I had the same issue. I never really got it dialed in but I did try different ways of lacing, that helped. The more I wore it too the looser that area became.
I also tried different socks which helped a lot. Mostly I'd say use them as much as you stand until they hopefully soften up a bit around there.

Postby carson_h » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:07 pm

The CD Sole base material is same thickness as the "thin sport" which is 2.26mm thick, but they've added 35mils of insulation on the bottom. The total thickness for the CD's is 3.12mm. The 1.6mm you reference is the padding on top of same base material, so I suspect the total thickness of the "1.6mm ones" is likely ~3.86mm. (There is no padding on the top of the base material for the "thin sport" or the CD).

Hopefully this helps; I can send some pictures if necessary.

Thanks!

-Carson

Postby carson_h » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:23 am

Update...

1. There is some stiff plastic in the upper cuff sandwiched between the outer leather and the inner insulating layer. I unstitched part of the cuff and rounded off the bottom 1/2" of the plastic, then put it back together with my speedy stitcher. The corner that was jabbing me is nice and soft now.

2. I discovered the Scarpa Degree Liner (made by Intuition). It has a protective plate in the tongue where I'm getting pinched, and it's a lace up Intuition liner!

I suspect that I'm going to be OK with my modified Spantik shell + Scarpa liner solution.

Cheers,

-Carson