Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

4 Season Bivy Sack

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: 4 Season Bivy Sack

Postby JB99 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:16 pm

Haven't had a chance to use it, yet, but recently received a BD Firstlight from Backcountry (from the link on the home page), and it packs tiny and is in the same weight range as some of the bivies in discussion. The BD is a lot roomier than any bivy and looks like a palace for solo trips. At the same time it won't be too crammed for me, my partner and our dog. Sorry I can't give a more detailed review. I got the BD for winter solo trips to replace my Sierra Designs Baffin bivy that is no more than a sleeping bag cover, really. By the way, I got Backcountry to match some random store's online price of $239 - ask the reps nice and I find they'll often offer nice discounts on Backcountry.com.

Postby Lewconwell » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:25 pm

I have a Marine Corps Gore-Tex bivy that is similar. It keeps the weather out and breathes well enough with some venting. Not much headroom tho.

Postby Taillon75 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:06 am

I have an new OR one. It's great warm and dry all year.

Postby Alpineair » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:27 am

I have the Bibler wall and the A-frame. Both have been great. The A-frame works better for me because I can prop myself on one elbow and cook or read. I have room for me and my pack in both.

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:50 am

In the winter if I'm going lightweight I like to take two small tarps, and make a floor and a roof. Pros are no condensation, you don't get too hot\sweaty, it's lightweight, and wicked cheap. Cons are that it is not very good in windy snowy conditions, I've woken up with 12" of snow over my sleeping bag, during such times. With that being said, most of the time I just take a tent as I don't mind the weight and I like having roomy shelter since you seem to spend so much time inside of it during winter trips.

Previous