Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

The Best Hiking Shoes

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: The Best Hiking Shoes

Postby dr_j » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:23 pm

I've been using Adidas Trail runners for the last 12 years, I simply gave up on hiking boots. The trail runners are a bit more supportive than regular running shoes, ventilate well, and have been my mainstay for all my hikes (14ers, Whitney, Switzerland, etc.).

Postby dave_navy_VA » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:46 am

Thanks to the heads-up here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36714&p=437510#p437510

I replaced my worn-out Merrell Moabs with Scarpa Epics a few months ago and like them a lot.

But for a bit sturdier platform Lowa is hard to beat. Last year I replaced my Tempest lo pair with the Renegade lo with gtx, and that is what I wear this time of year.

Postby prestone818 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:55 am

another +1 for salo xa ultra trail runners. like previously mentioned, 2 year wear cycle for me. made the mistake of wearing them around town for a while and the pavement ate them up. only thing that sucks for me atleast is that i rarely can find my size 12.5 unless i pay retail.

shoe of choice for skiing, pop on/off, no tying required.

Postby Eschuette » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:45 pm

I've used the Garmont Zenith shoes for the last two seasons. I really like them, they have been very versatile for me and done well. I've worn them for many hikes in Colorado as well as hikes in Hawaii, Ireland, and Washington state with no complaints. They have been comfortable, sturdy, and waterproof within reason. Good luck!
Eric

"In short, there is a kind of supernatural beauty in these mountainous prospects which charms both the senses and the minds into a forgetfulness of oneself and of everything in the world" - Rousseau

http://ericschuette.500px.com

Postby rockchalker » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:13 pm

I have worn Brooks running shoes for years and this year switched from a pair of Salomon trail running shoes to the Brooks Cascadia 7 trail runners. I loved them for day hikes, with one of those days including carrying a fairly heavy backpack for several hours. I saw a lot of other folks on the trail wearing the Cascadia's as well. They fit well and felt great, even on the very rocky sections. That said, everyone's foot is different and the Brook's may not work for them.
"Richness is defined not by who has the most but by who needs the least."

Previous