Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Getting out of hand

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds
User avatar
Posts: 704
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:18 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Getting out of hand

Postby Wish I lived in CO » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:30 am

Just wear cotton like they did in the 70's

jean 2.jpg
jean 2.jpg (84.07 KiB) Viewed 420 times


jean 1.jpg
jean 1.jpg (61.77 KiB) Viewed 420 times


Not my photos - just something from the internet. I I left the captions on as they "add" to the pics.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2

User avatar
Posts: 213
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:51 am
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Getting out of hand

Postby jblyth » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:38 am

TheF79 wrote:By the way, someone mentioned labor costs in Vietnam, and someone else mentioned exchange rates. I was curious, so I checked it out, and the Dollar has actually appreciated quite a bit against the Dong. In 2008 a Dollar would buy 16,000 Dongs, but in 2012, you can buy a whopping 21,000 Dongs for a dollar! [-X no snickering!


I was in Vietnam last year and got a shirt that said "keep your hand on your Dong." We had Dong jokes going the whole trip....I guess I am easily amused.

User avatar
Posts: 325
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 1:13 pm
Location: Denver

Re: Getting out of hand

Postby mtn_hikin » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:02 pm

There will probably be plenty of those shells visible in pictures of trust fund anarchists protesting capitalism this winter....

User avatar
Posts: 1342
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:44 pm
Location: Fort Collins

Re: Getting out of hand

Postby Dave B » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:18 pm

tylermacguire wrote:Just another reason why life is too short to pay retail for gear.


This is true, a fool and his money are soon parted.

Speaking of foolish though, I noticed that Patagonia has started to offer a hooded version of their Capilene 4 half-zip. As I've written them three times requesting this exact piece I will certainly be buying one of these soon and at full price. Considering I can't remember the last piece of gear I paid full price for (stove fuel and climbing pro excluded) that's a pretty big thing for me, here Patagonia, take my $120, I'm OK with it.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Re: Getting out of hand

Postby lordhelmut » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:42 pm

jblyth17 wrote:
TheF79 wrote:By the way, someone mentioned labor costs in Vietnam, and someone else mentioned exchange rates. I was curious, so I checked it out, and the Dollar has actually appreciated quite a bit against the Dong. In 2008 a Dollar would buy 16,000 Dongs, but in 2012, you can buy a whopping 21,000 Dongs for a dollar! [-X no snickering!


I was in Vietnam last year and got a shirt that said "keep your hand on your Dong." We had Dong jokes going the whole trip....I guess I am easily amused.


You are not alone in that amusement.

Re: Getting out of hand

Postby Bean » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:15 pm

In case anyone is interested, I picked up an orange medium Super Pluma jacket during the recent sale, and then found a neoshell jacket I like better for the same price. I'm going to take the SP back but if someone wants it, I'll take $220 for it (cost + tax + a couple bucks to make it a round number). Denver area only, not shipping. Still has tags on it.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

User avatar
Posts: 288
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:28 pm
Location: Castle Rock, CO

Re: Getting out of hand

Postby COBuckeye » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:21 pm

Zambo wrote:Undoubtedly people can ramble on about branding, consumerism, image, perceptions, etc. I have no doubt in my mind that these play a huge role in brand like Arx and Patagonia charging high prices.

But is that all of it? Does the name alone warran the extra hundreds of dollars? It can't be the only difference, can it?


Unfortunately I think that the name alone does warrant the extra hundreds of dollars. Not because the product is better, but because people will pay it. Gear companies are not the only ones do pull this trick either. Consider cars, TVs, wine, beer, hotels, cruise lines, etc., many of these manufacturers make the same (or very similar) products, slap different brands on them, and sell them for different prices. It is actually very intelligent marketing based on human nature.

On a personal note, I like the high prices on gear in a way because it gives me that much more of a thrill when I find a "good deal".
"...cause I got changed by what I've been shown, more glory than the world has known, keeps me ramblin' on..." - Josh Garrels (Farther Along)

Re: Getting out of hand

Postby Bean » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:25 pm

COBuckeye wrote:On a personal note, I like the high prices on gear in a way because it gives me that much more of a thrill when I find a "good deal".


Today's Dilbert:
Image
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Re: Getting out of hand

Postby MonGoose » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:30 pm

screeman57 wrote:
MonGoose wrote:
It's called Capitalism.


Actually, what's being described here is called Consumerism.


I looked it up:

Capitalism is "an economic system that is based on private ownership of the means of production and the creation of goods or services for profit."

Consumerism is "a social and economic order that encourages the purchase of goods and services in ever-greater amounts."


So I guess the jacket is influenced by both.

User avatar
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:24 pm
Location: Jersey Swamp

Re: Getting out of hand

Postby BeastoftheEast » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:39 pm

gotten totally out of hand
sweet jacket, no doubt, but $679 is ironic
coming from company that ran ad 'don't buy this jacket'
last fall on black friday
trying to combat consumerism
that has gotten out of hand

lifetime guarantee on this dapper thread?
come w/ pledge to never buy another jacket?
i respect/admire yvon
my primaloft (xmas gift) is key in winter
but price point here seems ex. of unrestrained capitalism

definitely both sides

damn fashionistas and tf brats
i've seen them
but don't catch their labels
my eyes are up high
tell 'em to go climb a mountain
already
The beast is in all of us. And so is the best.

Re: Getting out of hand

Postby Zambo » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:25 pm

COBuckeye wrote:
Zambo wrote:Undoubtedly people can ramble on about branding, consumerism, image, perceptions, etc. I have no doubt in my mind that these play a huge role in brand like Arx and Patagonia charging high prices.

But is that all of it? Does the name alone warran the extra hundreds of dollars? It can't be the only difference, can it?


Unfortunately I think that the name alone does warrant the extra hundreds of dollars. Not because the product is better, but because people will pay it. Gear companies are not the only ones do pull this trick either. Consider cars, TVs, wine, beer, hotels, cruise lines, etc., many of these manufacturers make the same (or very similar) products, slap different brands on them, and sell them for different prices. It is actually very intelligent marketing based on human nature.


Ya...unfortunately you are probably right. It's the same for every other industry, so why wouldn't it be for this stuff?

And of course, we all know that this is also true for ski gear as well. I mean, c'mon.....Dynafit's are just as good as any other alpine set up on the market. Why pay so much more for those, right!?!?11?
"Human beings climb at their peril. Some might think that by climbing a great mountain they have somehow conquered it, but we can be only visitors here."

User avatar
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:59 pm
Location: Breckenridge

Re: Getting out of hand

Postby Breckskier » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:51 pm

That Dilbert cartoon is freaking awesome. Its like GoLite that stuff is perpetually 60-70% off. I was wondering who buys their rain jacket for $200 when its always on sale for $69
"If you don't do it this year you'll only be 1 year older when you do." -Warren Miller

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BodenTA, DoctorBreaks, England, esskay1000, GregMiller, Jesse M, madbuck, psando, StickMan2002, tcrb, yedi and 28 guests