Forum
Your purchase of a synthetic or cotton shirt helps support 14ers.com. Thank you!

Other ways to help...

Getting out of hand

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Getting out of hand

Postby lordhelmut » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:47 am

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-powslayer-jacket-with-gore-tex?p=30300-0-306

Can someone, preferably who is familiar with how retail works, explain to me why Patagonia thinks they can get away with charging 680$ for a shell? I'm never going to buy and/or need a shell of this nature anyway, I'm just trying to understand why prices on Goretex Pro Shells seem to increase each season. You can't help but think they'll be charging a grand by 2020 and with the supplementary bibs or ski pants, it'll cost upwards of 1600-1800$ for an alpine "suit".

I can foresee a lot of trust fund Brovilles at Breck conning their parents in to buying them one of these and maybe a few Wall St types making their annual ski trip out from the Big Apple, trying their version of "fitting in" with the local crowds. Outside that, I can't see this thing leaving the shelves till their 50% sale next year. Their "Super Alpine" Pro Shell from 2011-12 priced at 599$ didn't seem to sell well, so I wonder what the logic was on the "Powslayer".

Thoughts?

Re: Getting out of hand

Postby lackerstef » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:54 am

http://arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Jackets/Micon-Jacket

I love this brand, but not the prices. I have bought everything used off of either ebay or other sites. Arcteryx has some of the best craftsmanship and customer service. I got into a bike wreck in my pro shell. Sent it in, and was sent a brand new ($650) shell for the price of the repairs ($150). I even got the newest season's style! In other words, don't ever pay full price, but do expect the best!

Postby ThuChad » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:55 am

High labor costs in Vietnam?
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.

Postby jblyth » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:57 am

Yeah, it’s pretty ludicrous, gotta love Patagucci. We took advantage of the big sale they had last month and got some great deals, it’s the only time I buy their products (or on S&C when they are heavily discounted). We had some stuff to return this weekend at the store downtown and the place was packed; guess some people enjoy being ripped off.

Postby Scott P » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:00 am

explain to me why Patagonia thinks they can get away with charging 680$ for a shell?

Because yuppies will still buy it and Patagonia will make money. :wink:
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby ctlee » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:06 am

ThuChad wrote:High labor costs in Vietnam?

Yeah, this is what really gets me!! You know it's being manufactured for pennies on the dollar by some worker in a third world country not to give us affordable products but to increase the companies huge profits. I NEVER pay full price!
Live as if you were to die tomorrow-learn as if you were to live forever-----Mahatma Gandhi

Postby prestone818 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:07 am

Pata and arc both have great products. Gotta be on sale for high cost items.

Postby lordhelmut » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:08 am

I guess what I'm really asking is, despite increasing labor costs overseas and standard yearly inflation, what is the main difference between a pro shell made from Arcteryx to Patagonia to Marmot to North Face? Are they charging for a logo or is the craftsmanship really all that more spectacular? I've heard from credible mountaineers that using Frogg Toggs for 20$ are sufficient enough for them in the summer months, and they just get a new pair when they breakdown. I've seen expert skiers and boarders ride around the mountains in the dead of winter in Carharts.

And if these companies do unload most of their inventory during their massive sales, where do the profits come from? Sorry, I'm almost completely ignorant how retail works, but I do know that nobody should pay 680$ for a jacket. If labor costs are in fact increasing, but they are still selling most of their stuff at wholesale prices during their sales, where do the profits come from?

Postby MonGoose » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:09 am

ctlee wrote:
ThuChad wrote:High labor costs in Vietnam?

You know it's being manufactured for pennies on the dollar by some worker in a third world country not to give us affordable products but to increase the companies huge profits. I NEVER pay full price!

It's called Capitalism.

Postby lordhelmut » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:12 am

Scott P wrote:
explain to me why Patagonia thinks they can get away with charging 680$ for a shell?

Because yuppies will still buy it and Patagonia will make money. :wink:

But how many yuppies on their Goldman Sachs wage will pay that for those cold Connecticut winters in a "Powslayer"? I'm assuming the "Powslayers" demographic are skiers and the types of skiers or boarders that would be interested in buying one of those, most likely can't afford it.

Postby EatinHardtack » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:14 am

Are these things 'hand made'? I mean every stich is sewn by hand and dusted with fairy sprinkles afterward?

Funny thing is when I was doing Civil War re-enacting I bought a jacket for $600. But the entire jacket was entirely hand sewn by a master tailor. I believe it took him around 30 labor hours to finish.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby darryle » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:18 am

And don't forget the US Dollar is not strong against any major currency.

Next