Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Choosing boots with an achilles issue

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Choosing boots with an achilles issue

Postby Dark Helmet » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:02 pm

the most important thing is that the boot fits your FOOT. that will help take the strain off your ankle....

if you're a runner, you should know what kind of foot you have, so look for something that most-resembles a correct training shoe.

also... I have a nifty brace built to alleviate Ach.Tendonitis... got it at a training store for like $15... was very effective... (I torched mine during a 10K last fall).

get the right boots for your feet and then get a correct brace (consult a trainer or a PT!!!!!)...

Re: Choosing boots with an achilles issue

Postby sunny1 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:17 pm

This is a tough one - I personally don't know of a specific boot that would help allievate achilles tendonitis.
Sometimes arch problems (or lack of arch support) can make achilles tendonitis worse.

If you haven't done so already, it'd be worth having a foot and stride analysis done - can do it at Road Runner Sports or Runner's Roost.
You can get custom insoles - not sure of contacts near Leadville, but in Boulder, Active Imprints does a good job, or Lee Kinney at The Custom Foot in Englewood has helped me with excellent supportive insoles I use in my running shoes and hiking shoes/boots.
Most boots come with poor insoles, you need to pull out what's in there and add what you need.

Faithful stretching helps (not too excessive, esp if you have pain already), rest and ice help.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.