Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Multi-use GPS watch?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Multi-use GPS watch?

Postby Bean » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:08 am

tigerblues wrote:Thanks everyone for the replies.

Bean - just curious, why is it a piece of garbage? The touch bezel? I've heard mixed reviews - people either seem to love it or hate it, but I figured I could try it through REI and return it if I don't like it. It has a lot of other features I'm interested in, plus a size that I like. The 310 looks massive..not sure I want something that big.

Battery life and charging calibration issues mainly. If the 310 is too bulky for you (it's not that much bigger than the 410) look at the 910.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Re: Multi-use GPS watch?

Postby Spoke537 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:23 pm

tigerblues wrote:Hi all,

More often, I will use it mountain biking, some occasional trail running, and hiking. I am specifically hoping for one with a reliable altimeter for accurate (or as accurate as possible) elevation gains/losses. I do not have a handheld GPS for longer hikes - I of course know this will not compare, but I'd at least like to be able to look down and see distance traveled and current altitude.

Also, while aesthetics is by no means most important, I am a female and hoping to find something that doesn't swallow my wrist whole.

Thanks!
Jen

If your main use might be cycling go with a Garmin 500. It's a great cyclocomputer and small enough to either carry in your hand for a run or stash in a pocket for a hike. I use mine everywhere I go. Battery lasts a good 24 hours. You can download the files to Garmin Connect to see the profiles, stats and all that fun stuff. The display can be set to show up to 8 different items. The only drawback is that it isn't a watch, but who wears a watch anymore when you have a cell phone?

-Les
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to ones courage." - Anais Nin

Previous