Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

1 person tent

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: 1 person tent

Postby Carborundum » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:30 pm

Might be useful to mention 3 season vs 4 season, any particular dimensions (are you 6'+) etc. Also a move to the "Gear" section may be warranted?
Illegitimi non carborundum!

Postby KizH » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:43 pm

I couldn't find the Eureka! Backcountry 1 tent I wanted to recommend to you on Sierra Trading post or on E-bay,
but there is one new on Amazon. This particular tent is pretty pricey compared to what they've sold for used,
but it's a well-rated one-person tent.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EQ8VJC/?tag=mh0b-20&hvadid=1458938949&ref=pd_sl_5lp81np7hz_e

p.s. I forgot to put the exclamation point in the line when I was searching-- maybe you'd get better results with that.

Postby Hungry Jack » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:40 am

I will second the Eureka Backcountry recommendation, especially if you are over 6'. It's not the lightest or prettiest, but it is very roomy.

I am guessing you would not want to afford the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 ($270), but it is arguably the lightest free-standing solo tent out there.
I need more dehydrogenase.

Postby MtHurd » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:53 am

Postby spiderman » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:37 am

On Big Agnes' website they have the Seedhouse SL1 for $187... such a great price for a 2lb 6oz tent. I have the 2-person version and it has been great, albeit cramped for extended times when stuck in bad weather.

Hungry Jack wrote:I will second the Eureka Backcountry recommendation, especially if you are over 6'. It's not the lightest or prettiest, but it is very roomy.

I am guessing you would not want to afford the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 ($270), but it is arguably the lightest free-standing solo tent out there.

Postby Jtjohnso24 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:08 am

I have a similar question since there is a post on this. Any recommendations for a 4-season, 1-person tent? I'm looking to cut weight from my pack. I also plan on doing some overnights in the winter in order to avoid the screet fields and get some skiing/snowboarding in. Has anybody winter camped in the tents recommended above (Eureka! or Big Agnus Speedhouse SL1)? I have a good sleeping bag, so maybe a 3-season will work. Thanks for the help.

Postby MUni Rider » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:51 am

Jtjohnso24 wrote:I have a similar question since there is a post on this. Any recommendations for a 4-season, 1-person tent? I'm looking to cut weight from my pack. I also plan on doing some overnights in the winter in order to avoid the screet fields and get some skiing/snowboarding in. Has anybody winter camped in the tents recommended above (Eureka! or Big Agnus Speedhouse SL1)? I have a good sleeping bag, so maybe a 3-season will work. Thanks for the help.

I have used only one 4-season, one man tent, so I can't give informed recommendations, however.....

I'm looking to unload a 4 season-1 person tent. Sierra Designs Assailent-1. It's a strange duck. single walled, triangle(ish) floor. (kinda-like it has an internal vestible added to the back). Lots of room for gear inside.

cons= You can't sit up and I did have the condesation issues many single walls have on the 2x I've used it. (Rained super heavy all night both trips, but no water from outside got it. I didn't use it in the winter, just late fall hunting trips.)

It retailed for $320, I bought it new, on sale for $280 I think, and it's only been used 2 times; 2 and 3 years ago. It's yours for $100 bucks. It's just taking up space on my collection of tents. I never use it anymore because I realized that I am more a of summer (read=fair weather) camper.

here's a link with more description info: http://www.outdooroutlet.com/product/Sierra%20Designs/0014390A00.php

Let me know if you are interested. I live near Canon City and can drive to Salida/BV or Colorado Springs to meet ya if you want to check it out.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Location: Up high in the San Juan Mtns (Apr-Nov) and down by the beach in CA & HA (Nov-Apr)

Postby San Juan Ron » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:56 am

I have used the BA Seedhouse 1 person tent for many years (only 3 season) and it works great. The only (minor) complaint is the vestibule is on the smallish side. Lightweight and excellent quality. SJ Ron

Postby climbing_rob » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 am

Another vote for the Big Agnes series of tents. I originally bought a BA Seedhouse SL1 tent (be careful; the SL1 is different than the std. Seedhouse version). it weighs 2# 8oz, with some lightweight cords attached to the fly. It is a fantastic tent for one person for three seasons. No good for very cold weather; the body is nearly all mesh so would not hold in heat at all.

My wife and I even used the SL1 together for 8 days on the JMT. The point is that it is large enough to work for a couple, though very tight for two. Palatial for one.

Then: we recently purchased the BA Fly Creek 2 tent. though a two person tent, it is lighter than the SL1 at ~2# 6 oz. So even though the OP asked specifically about a 1-person tent, I just wanted to point out there's a small 2-P tent that's even lighter than most 1-P tents.

THEN: there's the BA Fly creek "titanium" line that's yet even lighter. Sub two pounds for a two-person tent. Youza. The bad news: STUPID expensive.

Postby SurfNTurf » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:55 am

I have a Eureka Solitaire sitting in my closet I'd let go for $40. It's on the entry-level side of 1-person tunnel tents, but it's never let me down. I'd say it's in fair condition. I replaced the poles about a year ago. At this point in my hiking career I'd just rather haul up a few extra pounds and have a personal 2-person palace, so the Solitaire doesn't see much use. :lol:

PM if you (or anyone else) is interested.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby Hungry Jack » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:54 pm

SurfNTurf wrote:I have a Eureka Solitaire sitting in my closet I'd let go for $40. It's on the entry-level side of 1-person tunnel tents, but it's never let me down. I'd say it's in fair condition. I replaced the poles about a year ago. At this point in my hiking career I'd just rather haul up a few extra pounds and have a personal 2-person palace, so the Solitaire doesn't see much use. :lol:

PM if you (or anyone else) is interested.

I had a Solitaire before a Backcountry 1. Those 2-hoopers are a bit of a pain because you have to insert yourself into your bag while getting into it.

If the OP wants to save $$:

$99

$40
I need more dehydrogenase.

Postby nyker » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:03 am

Well, As others have mentioned, depends on what style you want, 3 or 4 season, single-wall, double wall,
how much $$ you want to spend, where you are using it, how big you are and if you are prone to get claustrophobic.

I'd look into these, new or used:

the Hilleberg Soulo (freestanding tent) or Akto (bivy-like style tent) - integrated double wall

Nemo Gogo/Moto series or Morpho for a little bigger one. - Single wall

Black Diamond single wall Alpine tents if you plan on using it higher up in drier areas and can deal with the internal pole design.

Terra Nova makes the lightest one person tents, but I've never used them or seen them for sale in local stores, but worth investigating.
They are a UK firm, but will ship to the US, for free I think.

Next