Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

REI TENTS

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: REI TENTS

Postby MtHurd » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:13 pm

I have a Quarter Dome T3. I like it. The only thing I don't like is the door after you unzip it doesn't have anything that you can roll it up on and keep out of the way. Just hangs there. Otherwise nice light tent. I've read some negative reviews about the door, so maybe REI has fixed it by now.

The cheapest 1-man tents are probably made by Alps Mountaineering. I have one and I like it. I've had it for a while so I am pretty sure they don't make it any more but they do sell one called the Mystique that you can get for $115 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaineering-Mystique-1-0-Tent/dp/B008H5E1H8

Postby thespoonybard » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:38 pm

Barry Raven wrote:The cheapest 1-man tents are probably made by Alps Mountaineering. I have one and I like it. I've had it for a while so I am pretty sure they don't make it any more but they do sell one called the Mystique that you can get for $115 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaineering-Mystique-1-0-Tent/dp/B008H5E1H8

I have the two man version of this tent that is my "go-to" solo tent. It gives me a little extra room for gear storage and comfort while only adding a minimal amount of weight. If I wanted to rough it, I'd take my bivy!

I feel the two man is more like a 1.5 (great for you and a dog), although if you really don't mind being close, and I mean close, to someone, it does work with two people (My wife and I have spent a week in this tent together). As far as performance, through years of abuse it has performed flawlessly! And believe me, I've tested it.

Cheers!
"The mountains are calling...and I must go" - John Muir
"all your base are belong to us"

Postby sunny1 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:09 pm

I initially got the REI quarter dome T2. Was too cozy for 2 people, but works great for just me.
Got the T3 last summer, which works great for 2.
The style and features are the same no matter what the size.
I must have a newer version than Barry Raven, because there are strips with a button to secure the doors of the fly when they are rolled up.
There is a mesh pocket above the door that you can stuff the mesh door inside to get it out of the way.
Also has nice interior pockets in the corners and over the door to stash things like your head lamp, watch or whatever you might need at night.
I haven't had any negative thoughts or criticisms about either one.
"10" :D

EDIT: to clarify - was originally thinking of the fly doors, but realized Barry may have been referring to the mesh door. :oops:
Last edited by sunny1 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.

Postby Hungry Jack » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:07 pm

I bought a Eureka Backcountry 1 tent because I am 6'4", and it runs 8 ft long, which compensates for the lack of a vestibule. It's a single-walled tent, but I have not had any condensation issues. It is freestanding with a single centered side door. It weighs about 4lbs, which is pretty decent for a tent of its size. I have seen them for as low as $140.

The only con is the ugly dark green color, which makes the interior somewhat dark.

I really like my TarpTent because it's huge and super light, but I am not sure it's suitable for monsoonal storms.
I need more dehydrogenase.

Postby MtHurd » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:06 pm

sunny1 wrote:I must have a newer version than Barry Raven, because there are velcro strips to secure the doors when they are rolled up.

Yep, they must have fixed it. I wish mine had that. And yes, the T3 is really a 2 person tent unless you really like each other a lot. The cost has gone up considerably since I bought mine. Use a 20% off coupon or wait for it to be on sale.

Postby atalarico » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:07 pm

So, there are quite a few differences, all of which can be found by using the handing "Compare" feature on REI's website. From what I could find, the weight, pole structure, and dimensions were the biggest differences.

Also, the doors on Barry's model should tuck into the tent body. Look at the ceiling of the tent body inside the doors. There should be a mesh pouch of sorts you can tuck the doors into.

Postby MtHurd » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:18 am

atalarico wrote:So, there are quite a few differences, all of which can be found by using the handing "Compare" feature on REI's website. From what I could find, the weight, pole structure, and dimensions were the biggest differences.

Also, the doors on Barry's model should tuck into the tent body. Look at the ceiling of the tent body inside the doors. There should be a mesh pouch of sorts you can tuck the doors into.

I'll check it out, thanks for the tip.

Postby forbins_mtn » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:09 pm

I have spent my whole summer(literally 8-10 weeks in a row now. This is the first weekend I haven't gone out in months) in my Kelty Salida 2. I got it for my birthday in May and I freaking love it! Everyone I go with asks about it because it's a large 1 man, small 2 man tent that has two poles and is super easy/fast to set up. I've been through some nasty storms in the San Juans with it, and extremely hot weekends in the Elks with it.

I love it. Great tent that weighs 3lbs 12oz. I heard about it when it got it's award in Backpacker's magazine and I just wanted a roomy 1 person, lite weight tent that I could take for long weekends.

Postby Hungry Jack » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:12 pm

forbins_mtn wrote:I have spent my whole summer(literally 8-10 weeks in a row now. This is the first weekend I haven't gone out in months) in my Kelty Salida 2. I got it for my birthday in May and I freaking love it! Everyone I go with asks about it because it's a large 1 man, small 2 man tent that has two poles and is super easy/fast to set up. I've been through some nasty storms in the San Juans with it, and extremely hot weekends in the Elks with it.

I love it. Great tent that weighs 3lbs 12oz. I heard about it when it got it's award in Backpacker's magazine and I just wanted a roomy 1 person, lite weight tent that I could take for long weekends.

That's a nice tent. Kelty makes solid recreational gear. Nothing fancy, but well-made stuff. The Salida might be a bit cramped if you are over 6' 2" or so, but it's a decent ratio of space:weight at a good price.
I need more dehydrogenase.

Postby atalarico » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:04 pm

forbins_mtn wrote:I have spent my whole summer(literally 8-10 weeks in a row now. This is the first weekend I haven't gone out in months) in my Kelty Salida 2. I got it for my birthday in May and I freaking love it! Everyone I go with asks about it because it's a large 1 man, small 2 man tent that has two poles and is super easy/fast to set up. I've been through some nasty storms in the San Juans with it, and extremely hot weekends in the Elks with it.

If you're using it for two people I think the single door and single vestibule is simply a deal breaker. Unless it's your significant other, it's *always* a pain to crawl over your climbing partner in the middle of the night to use the facilities.

Otherwise, it sort of kills me to hear that people are still using two person tents for solo trips. Solo tents have come a long way and most of them accommodate you and your gear just fine. To each their own though, I just don't quite understand.

Postby forbins_mtn » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:36 am

atalarico wrote:

If you're using it for two people I think the single door and single vestibule is simply a deal breaker. Unless it's your significant other, it's *always* a pain to crawl over your climbing partner in the middle of the night to use the facilities.

Otherwise, it sort of kills me to hear that people are still using two person tents for solo trips. Solo tents have come a long way and most of them accommodate you and your gear just fine. To each their own though, I just don't quite understand.

yeah, i get ya. i chose it because of the options. it works as a 1 man. it works as a 2 man. definitely not the best option for either, but it offers both options. i'm guessing next season I'll invest in an awesome 1 man tent that will cut off another pound of weight. but i can honestly say that i've loved this tent this year.

Postby carlhancock » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:08 pm

I own the Quarter Dome T1 and I've taken it all over for solo trips. I would recommend trying it out first if you can. It is incredibly narrow and not very long. If you have broad shoulders or if you're over 6ft. tall, you will be touching all sides of the tent as you sleep (and limited room for any gear you want inside as you sleep). I've used it for the past couple of years, but I'm pretty sure there are better options that offer a little more room at a similar weight. I'm thinking of switching to the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2, which is a little lighter and offers a lot more room than the REI T1. You'd have to shell out an additional $150 though if you did the same.

Next